• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Klass didn't look out of place in League 1 either. I'm still a bit baffled as to why he didn't/hasn't yet fulfilled his promise. His performance when he came on against Pompey in that 3-3 draw arguably changed the game. He seemed so composed on the ball, not just in that game but in others, and positionally he looked good as well. I don't even know who he's playing for now.
I don't think there's ever been any question over Klass's technical ability but more his mentality and application.

Michael Klass didn't look out of place in League 1 either. I'm still a bit baffled as to why he didn't/hasn't yet fulfilled his promise. His performance when he came on against Pompey in that 3-3 draw arguably changed the game. He seemed so composed on the ball, not just in that game but in others, and positionally he looked good as well. I don't even know who he's playing for now.
I think regrettably the difference in many cases between an EFL career and non-league obscurity isn't ability but attitude, commitment and consistency both on and of the pitch...
And of course all the off pitch stuff including training etc. etc. we don't see. BTW no idea what applies to Klass.

This is also all true- but what has changed is, of course, we are not looking for him to perform at L1 level or L2 level we are a NL team, and he's 21 now not 19. I guess my point is if he was on loan in the Conference North or South that would be great. At Hendon scoring every game, or playing GWR scoring twice before HT and coming of, or scoring six in a game against Maidstone, or whoever it was, I'm not sure what that is achieving. But as has been said far more knowledgeable and capable people than I are making these decisions.
Could this be the club just running him through the gears so to speak as each loan thus far has been on a monthly basis? Perhaps next month he will be loaned to NL north or south as each step is a step closer.
However this sort of approach does make me fear that the 2 Sheffield lads might get loaned out to L2 clubs for the second half of the season the only saving Grace is that Mr Currie may have influence to keep hold. Let’s hope so

I have to say I never thought Klass was going to make it. He played quite a few games and looked very out of his depth almost every time. Portsmouth was a good performance, but everyone is capable of one of those. Kinali is doing everything he can, and due to our lack of goals or wingers I can see the clamour for his return, but it's not true to say he didn't look out of his depth at L1 level because he did.

Also worth remembering I think he had quite a bad injury and it seems as if we want to test him by getting him plenty of games, he's played a lot of football in the last few months and I am sure that is deliberate.

I think Maher rates him from his time at the U23s and I am sure there is a plan for Kinali. And Gard, for that matter.

This is also all true- but what has changed is, of course, we are not looking for him to perform at L1 level or L2 level we are a NL team, and he's 21 now not 19. I guess my point is if he was on loan in the Conference North or South that would be great. At Hendon scoring every game, or playing GWR scoring twice before HT and coming of, or scoring six in a game against Maidstone, or whoever it was, I'm not sure what that is achieving. But as has been said far more knowledgeable and capable people than I are making these decisions.
I guess if a Conf South team had been interested in him he’d have gone to a Conf South team on loan rather than the rung below?

Or maybe only teams at that level would start him and Conf South sides would have had him on the bench (like O’Shane Stewart)?

He probably needs 90 minutes each week at this stage of his career as he’s one who’s lost out on game time because of the pandemic (and then injury) so ensuring he gets regular games is not a bad idea. Far from having nothing to gain from this loan spell I think he can gain fitness, experience and confidence. In fact I actually prefer the idea of sending him away on loan to build up match fitness and sharpness etc so that when he does get his first team opportunity he’s in a better position to hit the ground running. I feel like in recent years we’ve chucked youngsters in through necessity rather than them earning it. If a kid earns his spot you’re chucking him in when he’s confident and on form and he’s in a better position to succeed.

I think regrettably the difference in many cases between an EFL career and non-league obscurity isn't ability but attitude, commitment and consistency both on and of the pitch...
And of course all the off pitch stuff including training etc. etc. we don't see. BTW no idea what applies to Klass.
An example is when you look at England under 18 or 16 teams how many go onto have a career at a decent level, so many of these players end up in non league. It is not just ability that is needed.

Hes playing for Isthmian Premier Division Lewes according to wiki. No idea what step level that is.

Hes playing for Isthmian Premier Division Lewes according to wiki. No idea what step level that is.
It’s

Level 5
National League - eg us

Level 6
National League South - eg Welling where O’Shane Stewart is on the bench for Peter Taylor and where our latest target plays for Concord

Level 7
Isthmian Premier - Where Eren Kinali was on loan at Brighlingsea and where Michael Klass is playing (or warming the bench?) for Lewes.
Bobby Unwin was and Jimmy Wallace and Reiss Chandler are currently on loan at Bishop’s Stortford in this division.

Southern League Premier South and Southern League Premier Central - where Eren Kinali is currently on loan with Hendon

Level 8
Isthmian North - where Tilly manages Heybridge Swifts (and has Gard and Davis on loan) and where Benno taken Canvey to the top of the table. This is also where Great Wakering, Brentwood, Hullbridge, Tilbury all play
There are also Southern League Central and Southern League South - which includes Harlow, where Shala and Anyadike are on loan

It’s

Level 5
National League - eg us

Level 6
National League South - eg Welling where O’Shane Stewart is on the bench for Peter Taylor and where our latest target plays for Concord

Level 7
Isthmian Premier - Where Eren Kinali was on loan at Brighlingsea and where Michael Klass is playing (or warming the bench?) for Lewes.
Bobby Unwin was and Jimmy Wallace and Reiss Chandler are currently on loan at Bishop’s Stortford in this division.

Southern League Premier South and Southern League Premier Central - where Eren Kinali is currently on loan with Hendon

Level 8
Isthmian North - where Tilly manages Heybridge Swifts (and has Gard and Davis on loan) and where Benno taken Canvey to the top of the table. This is also where Great Wakering, Brentwood, Hullbridge, Tilbury all play
There are also Southern League Central and Southern League South - which includes Harlow, where Shala and Anyadike are on loan
Interesting that thanks.. that does put the level Kinali has been playing at in perspective. Set out like that it also highlights our fall , one level above Concord, but also how far Canvey have slipped since they were at the level we are now. Where will all those clubs be in 10 years time ?

We are only one level above Chelmsford, Braintree & Billericay! Image if Bower & Pitsea and Hornchurch won promotion together to conference south!

We are only one level above Chelmsford, Braintree & Billericay! Image if Bower & Pitsea and Hornchurch won promotion together to conference south!
To be fair the first three you mention are currently the bottom three in the NLS, so it’s unlikely we’d be playing any of them should the unthinkable happen..

An example is when you look at England under 18 or 16 teams how many go onto have a career at a decent level, so many of these players end up in non league. It is not just ability that is needed.
This is very true. Mentality and physicality come into play when players develop, but also worth noting that physicality in youth games can make a player look much better than they are. Easier for a 14/15 year old to dominate when they have already bulked out compared to someone of the same age who might be a late developer physically.

Luck also plays a huge part in it and that is how these young players get their chance. I remember when Rashford got his debut for Man United after they had their first team strikers injured and another injured in the warm up. He started and scored.

Patience is also needed. As soon as there is a sniff of a potential "wonderkid" in the academy, fans want them thrown into the first team and start every game. Unfortunately, this rarely works out well and fans are the first ones to get on their backs, knocking the players confidence. As an example, Jack Payne was eased into the first team over the course of a season and then began to play more the next season.

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but the only game I remember him doing really well in in L1 was Bristol Rovers and they were shockingly bad that day. I agree that we'd have a fairer indication if he was playing at NLS level but it does puzzle me, the clamour for him to be shoved into the first team based on a few appearances a couple of seasons ago and the fact he's banging them in at the level he is (as encouraging as that may be). When he's ready I'm sure he'll be in and around the first team. We've got lots of knowledgable people overseeing the playing squad now.
Sorry Leigh_Seasider, I do not understand why you are puzzled. The club has created a structure of progression towards the first team squad for its young players which includes under-23 games and the possibility of playing senior men's football on loan at other clubs. The whole purpose of such structure is to test whether a player has what it takes to make the first team squad. If players like Eren Kinali or Matt Rush do everything that is required of them in this structure is it not reasonable for them to expect to progress to the first-team squad? What is puzzling is that other young players like Howard and Egbri have jumped ahead of them into the first team scene without significantly outperforming Kinali or Rush on the way.

Last edited:
Sorry Leigh_Seasider, I do not understand why you are puzzled. The club has created a structure of progression towards the first team squad for its young players which includes under-23 games and the possibility of playing senior men's football on loan at other clubs. The whole purpose of such structure is to test whether a player has what it takes to make the first team squad. If players like Eren Kinali or Matt Rush do everything that is required of them in this structure is it not reasonable for them to expect to progress to the first-team squad? What is puzzling is that other young players like Howard and Egbri have jumped ahead of them into the first team scene without significantly outperforming Kinali or Rush on the way.
I don't think you can compare Howard's progression to Kinalis - they play in different positions and the need for a player in a position will also dictate demand for progression

I don't think you can compare Howard's progression to Kinalis - they play in different positions and the need for a player in a position will also dictate demand for progression
Yes, that is a good point. Injuries and underperformance can create opportunities in some positions rather than others.

But it is pretty clear Southend's midfield has underperformed (with the exception of the now injured Bridge and the on-loan Zak Brunt) for much of this season which, on the face of it, should have given a goalscoring midfielder like Kinali a chance to stake his claim.

Yes, that is a good point. Injuries and underperformance can create opportunities in some positions rather than others.

But it is pretty clear Southend's midfield has underperformed (with the exception of the now injured Bridge and the on-loan Zak Brunt) for much of this season which, on the face of it, should have given a goalscoring midfielder like Kinali a chance to stake his claim.
If he performs well enough I’m sure he’ll get that chance. But he hasn’t shown anything to suggest he can solve all our problems apart from one game in L1 two seasons ago and a few decent performances a couple of levels below the NL. I’m sure our coaching team are well aware of him. It’s easy to look for quick fixes but if he was that great he’d be a regular starter. Same with Rush..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back