• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blimey, imagine if that time played our current shambles - it would be a rout!!
And to think around that time I thought Drewe was easily one of the worst players to ever pull on a Southend shirt. Now he might not even be in the worst top 10…who am I kidding, he would be bad even in the current side!

This was the final team Steve Wignall fielded before Ron decided he couldn’t “see the passion in his eyes” following a 1-0 home defeat to Northampton Town in November 2003:

Flahavan; Jupp (McSweeney, 45), Cort, Hunt, Jenkins; Corbett, Maher, Smith, Gower; Bramble, Constantine (Husbands, 66). Unused subs: Emberson, Wilson, Broughton

Bloody hell, looking back, that was a pretty good team.

Someone made me chuckle a week or so ago on here, who said, you can't polish a ****. No doubt about it, you can, if you get the best out of players as Tilson did back then.

Right place at the right time? definitely.......

And to think around that time I thought Drewe was easily one of the worst players to ever pull on a Southend shirt. Now he might not even be in the worst top 10…who am I kidding, he would be bad even in the current side!
Give it a break

Bloody hell, looking back, that was a pretty good team.

Someone made me chuckle a week or so ago on here, who said, you can't polish a ****. No doubt about it, you can, if you get the best out of players as Tilson did back then.

Right place at the right time? definitely.......
Let's not forget though that Tilson added Barrett, Prior, Bentley, Pettefer, Eastwood and Gray to the squad for the following season (or from January 2004 in Benno's case), who all became regular starters and important players.

I agree they are absolutely capable of staying up. And confidence is a huge thing. However, there is an area that worries me and remains such an archiles heel that it's (to me at least) amazing it continues unaddressed.

If we go back to the famed MM Southend 0 formations and 4231. Forgetting even we didn't really have the 1, even if we did and looked at the 5 in midfield and their career goals scored at then EFL level (incl, goals per game) it absolutely screamed no goals.

Roll on now. Say with 352. We have Murphy who is a goalscorer. Dalby who is maybe is a 10 -15 potential in a team playing well. But look at the midfield again. None have them probably have mustered even 3 goals in a season season regularly in adult football and maybe less than a rate of 1 in every 10 games played. Even Jack Bridge is at 15 in 130 odd appearnces and hasn't scored more than 3 in a season at this level or above.

When people say why do we need to play 2 up front, well if we don't we are playing a single player who has any goalscoring threat- if I'm the opposition manager I will stay stop Murphy scoring and you score you are guaranteed at least a point.

I can only assume when we sign midfielders or wingers a criteria isn't any history of contributing goals irrespective of how desperate our lack of goals is. There are plenty of midfielders and wingers out there who will expect to contribute 8-10 goals a season.
Josh Rees probably gives you more than that with 1 in every 3 as an example.

Even in our own system we have Kinali who clearly knows how to finish if he gets a chance. He has goals in him from midfield/wide. I'm not saying start him but he is not even on the bench. And so we bring on players when chasing the game who have no goalscoring threat at all. Egbri I like but he has 2 goals in over 40 senior appearances - all be it in 1 in L2 and 1in L1- how did the latter come? Kinali breaking down the left and putting it on a plate about two yards out.

Vent over.
We also have apart from Kinali ,other goal scoring midfielders in the likes of Benton, Crowhurst, But how ready are they i dont know , i think Crowhurst is stll very young you can add O"Shane-Stewart to that also.

One thing we have not been short of is change. We have had record amounts of new ideas in the last 3 years. We have gone full circle for the second time now and its cost us more than the current squad.

I'm not suggesting we turn down better players but we are now rehashing the classic wait until January, summer clear out posts.

Anyone new arriving will be better if the team aren't accepting defeat before they leave the dressing room.

We have conceded real poor goals early on in the last two league games and from then on not looked remotely likely to score......Thats not a problem than can be solved by individual signings......Not ones who are available mid season and will join a club in our position.`

As I'm sure you'll remember, Phil Brown said that one good thing about being in the NL was there was no transfer window and you could bring players in or ship them out at any time.We haven't seen much evidence of either so far.

As I'm sure you'll remember, Phil Brown said that one good thing about being in the NL was there was no transfer window and you could bring players in or ship them out at any time.We haven't seen much evidence of either so far.
pretty hard to ship them out when they on contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back