• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So any current thoughts on relegation and promotion candidates?

"What? Too early to revisit that topic - the season's only just got started" I hear you say.

But we are 1/5th (or 20%) of the way through already.

For me the table is already beginning to take on a resemblance of the final profile ......... I have been impressed with Scunthorpe so far and am surprised to see Coventry (with their resources) at the bottom (I bet their message boards are a delight at the moment).

I think Scunthorpe are looking strong at the moment but they could do what Gills did last season and fall away towards the end. Can see Bolton staying up there all season and winning the league. Feel Bradford will also go up this season & a surprise package via the play-offs!

At the bottom can't see too many surprises, think Coventry will turn it around and Swindon could be in trouble along with Wimbledon, Rochdale and Oldham!

Can see us finishing 13th/14th.

"What? Too early to revisit that topic - the season's only just got started" I hear you say.

Thank you for clarifying :winking:

Of the top seven clubs this time last year, only the leaders, Burton, went up.

However the bottom 3 all went down, joined by Colchester, who were above us this time last year.

Relegation candidates I think will be Shrewsbury, Oldham, Wimbledon, Rochdale, Chesterfield, Swindon and ourselves - I am not kidding myself that the Millwall game will change much. I did predict Port Vale to go down but they seem to be defying the odds and are doing well so far under Ribeiro. I think the English winter will be stiff test for some of their players from sunnier climes but to be fair they seem to have a decent core.

Promotion you would expect Bolton and Sheffield United up there, I still think Millwall will come good and Scunthorpe will certainly be challenging based on their start to the season. I'm a little surprised to see Bury up there.

My top 3 at the death

Sheff U
Bolton
Millwall

PO places pick any other club.

If we can build on the Wall victory then who know's where we will finish.

My top 3 at the death

Sheff U
Bolton
Millwall

PO places pick any other club.

If we can build on the Wall victory then who know's where we will finish.

Interesting. And 7/8ths of our points so far are against these teams. (or 87.5% for Ratty)

Really can't see Sheffield United up there at the end of the season, reading their forum it seems that, like us, their squad is pretty shallow and if someone gets injured there isn't any quality to replace them. Millwall seemed like they only knew how to play long ball against us which is unlikely to get them in the automatics but maybe we just played so well they had to resort to it. Expect it will be Bolton, Scunthorpe and maybe Bradford for the automatics play off winners, although that third spot is up for grabs really.

Last edited:
Really can't see Sheffield United up there at the end of the season, reading their forum it seems that, like us, their squad is pretty shallow and if someone gets injured there isn't any quality to replace them. Millwall seemed like they only knew how to play long ball against us which is unlikely to get them in the automatics but maybe we just played so well they had to resort to it. Expect it will be Bolton, Scunthorpe and maybe Bradford for the automatics, although that third spot is up for grabs really.

Am I missing something? A 3rd place finish would only get you into the playoffs in League One. League Two has 3 auto spots but League One only two.

Thank you for clarifying :winking:

Of the top seven clubs this time last year, only the leaders, Burton, went up.

However the bottom 3 all went down, joined by Colchester, who were above us this time last year.

Interesting observation there Mick - just shows how many points there are still to play for and how the fortunes of a club can turn around ................ although I remember something about an article in a paper that seemed to show that changing the manager once a club was in relegation trouble had a surprisingly small chance of being successful.

I honestly can't see Bolton not returning to the Championship at the first attempt, but apart from that the other places are well and truly up for grabs. A few weeks ago for example, we were in total freefall to FL2 and nothing was going to stop us, thank you. A good result against Millwall, and more importantly, a very good performance and we could climb the table with the right luck and lack of injuries. I think that goes for most of the clubs in FL1 at the moment.

What that means for me is that it is too early to be able to make an educated guess, with the exception of Bolton, and even that could be wrong.

For me the table is already beginning to take on a resemblance of the final profile ......... I have been impressed with Scunthorpe so far and am surprised to see Coventry (with their resources) at the bottom (I bet their message boards are a delight at the moment).

Technically we are nearer one 1/6th (16.6666%) of the way through the season rather than 1/5th. 8 games played = 40 games if we have played 20%. As we play 46 games 8 games played = 48 games if we use the 16.66666%would be more of an accurate figure. I am sure someone can get the percentage spot on

I think 72 points will secure PO,we need 64 points from 38 games...20 wins and 4 draws will do then :winking:

Technically we are nearer one 1/6th (16.6666%) of the way through the season rather than 1/5th. 8 games played = 40 games if we have played 20%. As we play 46 games 8 games played = 48 games if we use the 16.66666%would be more of an accurate figure. I am sure someone can get the percentage spot on

Must be my abacus needs re-setting - I think there was a piece of dried rice caught in the frame. I've cleaned it out now. Thanks.

So here we are then - over 1/4 (or 25% :winking:) of the season gone and we have moved up to the mighty position of 19th in the league - although the 15 points we have puts us joint with Charlton in 15th place ......... but we have the worst goal difference in the league.

Still surprised to see Bury and Rochdale at the top end ........ and at the bottom end Coventry have lost 1 manager already.

So here we are then - over 1/4 (or 25% :winking:) of the season gone and we have moved up to the mighty position of 19th in the league - although the 15 points we have puts us joint with Charlton in 15th place ......... but we have the worst goal difference in the league.

Still surprised to see Bury and Rochdale at the top end ........ and at the bottom end Coventry have lost 1 manager already.

Coventry seem to be the 'new' Blackpool or Pompey.

Back