• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

religious

My only real belief is that if there is a heaven and if there is a God, he would let in people who had led a fairly good life, regardless of what religion they practiced or if they didn't practice any religion. To be honest if there is a God and he isn't like that, I wouldn't want to worship him anyways.

Have been a church goer (CofE) on and off all my life, chose to be confirmed as an adult after my children had been born, both were baptised in church. My husband was brought up Catholic but is very much non practising now, we married in a CofE church because that was what we both wanted.

I consider myself to be a Christian, and I believe in God and the afterlife. My God is a huge comfort to me in times of trouble and I know that however lapsed a Christian I am, I will always be welcome in His house. I don't question any of this, it is at the core of my self and the way I live.

I respect other people's religious beliefs, and have debated and discussed with those knocking on the door from JWs and Mormons. I don't attend church often at the moment as I don't like the way things have gone at our particular church, I'm a traditionalist not a "happy, clappy".

Each to their own.

Have been a church goer (CofE) on and off all my life, chose to be confirmed as an adult after my children had been born, both were baptised in church. My husband was brought up Catholic but is very much non practising now, we married in a CofE church because that was what we both wanted.

I consider myself to be a Christian, and I believe in God and the afterlife. My God is a huge comfort to me in times of trouble and I know that however lapsed a Christian I am, I will always be welcome in His house. I don't question any of this, it is at the core of my self and the way I live.

I respect other people's religious beliefs, and have debated and discussed with those knocking on the door from JWs and Mormons. I don't attend church often at the moment as I don't like the way things have gone at our particular church, I'm a traditionalist not a "happy, clappy".

Each to their own.

I totally agree with your "each to their own" principle, so don't take this personally but why and how can you say that you "don't question any of this"? Is there any other area of your life where you just accept what you've been told just because it has been told and re-told to you a thousand times and has always been there? There are so many flaws in the story, the historical background and the ethics with which the church was set up that if you cast even half an eye over it, it doesn't stand up. It's not even close. It was a nice coincidence that Jesus shared his birthday with an ancient Pagan festival wasn't it?

My only real belief is that if there is a heaven and if there is a God, he would let in people who had led a fairly good life, regardless of what religion they practiced or if they didn't practice any religion. To be honest if there is a God and he isn't like that, I wouldn't want to worship him anyways.

Yep and if you're a good boy Father Christmas will give you a present. Heaven and Hell was somebody's bright idea to keep people in line, Father Christmas is the kids version.

I totally agree with your "each to their own" principle, so don't take this personally but why and how can you say that you "don't question any of this"? Is there any other area of your life where you just accept what you've been told just because it has been told and re-told to you a thousand times and has always been there? There are so many flaws in the story, the historical background and the ethics with which the church was set up that if you cast even half an eye over it, it doesn't stand up. It's not even close. It was a nice coincidence that Jesus shared his birthday with an ancient Pagan festival wasn't it?

I don't question this area at all because I don't want to. I am happy with the way I believe and that's enough for me. This is absolutely the only area of my life where I don't question and it's a comfort to have this "blind" faith, where I simply don't need to question - therefore my religious beliefs are stress free. That, to me, is a huge bonus in this day and age.

Contrarily enough I accept the theory of evolution as well, so there's kind of a parallel creationist theory. Suits me fine!

At the end of time, billions of people were seated on a great plain before God's throne. Most shrank back from the brilliant light before them. But some groups near the front talked heatedly, not cringing with cringing shame - but with belligerence.

"Can God judge us? How can He know about suffering?", snapped a pert young brunette. She ripped open a sleeve to reveal a tattooed number from a Nazi concentration camp. "We endured terror ... beatings ... torture ... death!"

In another group a Negro boy lowered his collar. "What about this?" he demanded, showing an ugly rope burn. "Lynched, for no crime but being black !"

In another crowd there was a pregnant schoolgirl with sullen eyes: "Why should I suffer?" she murmured. "It wasn't my fault." Far out across the plain were hundreds of such groups. Each had a complaint against God for the evil and suffering He had permitted in His world.

How lucky God was to live in Heaven, where all was sweetness and light. Where there was no weeping or fear, no hunger or hatred. What did God know of all that man had been forced to endure in this world? For God leads a pretty sheltered life, they said.

So each of these groups sent forth their leader, chosen because he had suffered the most. A Jew, a negro, a person from Hiroshima, a horribly deformed arthritic, a thalidomide child. In the centre of the vast plain, they consulted with each other. At last they were ready to present their case. It was rather clever.

Before God could be qualified to be their judge, He must endure what they had endured. Their decision was that God should be sentenced to live on earth as a man.

Let him be born a Jew. Let the legitimacy of his birth be doubted. Give him a work so difficult that even his family will think him out of his mind.

Let him be betrayed by his closest friends. Let him face false charges, be tried by a prejudiced jury and convicted by a cowardly judge. Let him be tortured.

At the last, let him see what it means to be terribly alone. Then let him die so there can be no doubt he died. Let there be a great host of witnesses to verify it.

As each leader announced his portion of the sentence, loud murmurs of approval went up from the throng of people assembled. When the last had finished pronouncing sentence, there was a long silence. No one uttered a word. No one moved.

For suddenly, all knew that God had already served His sentence.

It's quite some coincidence that the leaders managed to pass a sentence that exactly matched that which god him/herself imposed on his own son.

It's a shame that the children murdered by padophiles or who starved to death in African refugee camps didn't get an opportunity to contribute.

Last edited:
I don't question this area at all because I don't want to. I am happy with the way I believe and that's enough for me. This is absolutely the only area of my life where I don't question and it's a comfort to have this "blind" faith, where I simply don't need to question - therefore my religious beliefs are stress free. That, to me, is a huge bonus in this day and age.

Contrarily enough I accept the theory of evolution as well, so there's kind of a parallel creationist theory. Suits me fine!

Ok, I get that - maybe it doesn't matter what anyone believes if they like the story and it gets them though the days. It's just a shame it doesn't end there -the millions of people killed in the name of that kind of sheep-like thinking might agree.......

Last edited:
Yep and if you're a good boy Father Christmas will give you a present. Heaven and Hell was somebody's bright idea to keep people in line, Father Christmas is the kids version.

I completely agree, notice how I use 'if' a few times. And when I say 'led a good life' I don't mean living like a saint, I simply mean people who don't actively try to harm others, or in other words just being a decent, average human being.

Ok, I get that - maybe it doesn't matter what anyone believes if they like the story and it gets them though the days. It's just a shame it doesn't end there -the millions of people killed in the name of that kind of sheep-like thinking might agree.......

To accuse people like OBL and Teeside of "sheep like thinking" is unfair and hardly mature debate, is it? I hate getting involved with these threads because, IMHO, the anti-religion stance is defended as blindly and with as little regard to the evidence as they accuse the pro stance of adopting. But three points you have raised:

1. Come off it, no one is saying that Christmas is Jesus real birthday, and yes it is matched to an old pagan festival. So what? Even Christians can be pragmatists, you know.

2. Evidence? I am not going to produce evidence for all faiths, but there is amazingly strong evidence for Jesus as a real historical person. And the prophecies in the Bible concerning him, and the very way his Disciples and Paul behaved after his death, raise questions that need proper debate, not facile dismissal as "sheep like thinking".

3. This is the one that always amazes me. What evidence for Millions of deaths in the name of Religion? More people have died in the last 120 years in wars than in the whole history of humanity. The leaders behind the vast majority of those deaths? Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Sadam Hussein (who only entered a Mosque when he realised he needed to portray himself as a Martyr) and more, and all of them not only not religious, but actually avowed aetheists who tried to wipe out religion. The danger is not religion, but people's hunger for power. And of course a sweeping statement about the dangers of religion ignores the fantastic work done by the Church of England, Sally Army and others for the poor and homeless, by Tearfund, Christian Aid, and many many others for the Third World.

If you are going to argue against religion, please find out what they DO believe in, and study the evidence for that (because it does exist).

Each to their own.

Yes a good post and like you i'm also a traditionalist and not a "happy, clappy type of guy unless it's at Roots Hall". I am C of E but when I do attend church (which isn't that often) it is normally at a Roman Catholic service with my wife as she is a catholic from Rome. Each to their own as you say and although the church (heads of the church) don't always help to put the church in a good light whatever you believe in, someone elses religion and beliefs should be respected.

There said my piece.;)

The question are you religious reminds me of my old RE teacher going on about it. Along the lines of if you don't believe in anything then that becomes your belief - you believe that you don't believe in anything, therefore you believe in something.....

On that basis, he said that we were all religious - just that we believed in different things.

Could never beat him in an arguement on it.....

Surely this is confusing belief with religion. Believing in a 'higher power' is one thing. But Religion's are a set of rules to live by created by man.

I don't believe in Religion at all but I do believe in a bigger power than us ...call it what you like.

Couldn't have said it better myself. None us us can prove either way that 'God' exists or doesn't. So all it comes down to is debates such as this, which I for one am enjoying.

To accuse people like OBL and Teeside of "sheep like thinking" is unfair and hardly mature debate, is it? I hate getting involved with these threads because, IMHO, the anti-religion stance is defended as blindly and with as little regard to the evidence as they accuse the pro stance of adopting. But three points you have raised:

1. Come off it, no one is saying that Christmas is Jesus real birthday, and yes it is matched to an old pagan festival. So what? Even Christians can be pragmatists, you know.

2. Evidence? I am not going to produce evidence for all faiths, but there is amazingly strong evidence for Jesus as a real historical person. And the prophecies in the Bible concerning him, and the very way his Disciples and Paul behaved after his death, raise questions that need proper debate, not facile dismissal as "sheep like thinking".

3. This is the one that always amazes me. What evidence for Millions of deaths in the name of Religion? More people have died in the last 120 years in wars than in the whole history of humanity. The leaders behind the vast majority of those deaths? Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Sadam Hussein (who only entered a Mosque when he realised he needed to portray himself as a Martyr) and more, and all of them not only not religious, but actually avowed aetheists who tried to wipe out religion. The danger is not religion, but people's hunger for power. And of course a sweeping statement about the dangers of religion ignores the fantastic work done by the Church of England, Sally Army and others for the poor and homeless, by Tearfund, Christian Aid, and many many others for the Third World.

If you are going to argue against religion, please find out what they DO believe in, and study the evidence for that (because it does exist).

ACU - you've been on great posting form, recently!

:clap:

+ve rep for that. As for me, I'm very much in OBL's camp - a traditional C of E Christian, who doesn't go to church as often as I should, but who believes in the Christian faith because I feel in my bones and my marrow that it is true.

I'm probably pretty low church in my beliefs, to be fair, in that I've always felt that a good deal of the Old Testament was bunkum. But, as a Protestant, the essence of my faith is the New Testament, and the teachings of Jesus. And those I believe in.

I'm well aware that your average agnostic or atheist always asks for hard, physical proof of God, and of the tenets of Christianity. Those can be difficult to come by, sometimes. But the way I see it is:

a) in my job, I constantly have to search for proof. Evidence is the bed-rock of my practice. So, in the way that there is always an exception that proves the rule, I have space in my life to believe in something where that proof may not necessarily be tangible - but where you simply have to believe in it because you feel it.

b) In any event, there are a few things in life that we rely on, and that we believe in, without necessarily any phyiscal or tangible evidence of that thing. How do you prove that your mother loves you, for instance? You can't say that it was because she fed you - she may have been doing that to stop herself being jailed for neglect. You can't say it was because she bought presents for you - she may have been doing that to impress the neighbours. You know your mother loves you because... well, simply because you know it.

c) finally, and this will seem odd to non-believers, I have felt God's presence, and his guidance, whenever I have prayed to Him in my hour of need. Things have always turned out right whenever I've prayed to Him. And that's all the evidence that I need that God exists.

Matt

All of these are shamelessly stolen ....

only a fool or the arrogant could think that a carbon based bag of mostly water , on a speck of iron silicate dust around a boring dwarf star in a minor galaxy in a underpopulated local group of galaxies in an unfashionable suburb of a super cluster would look up at the sky and declare.... 'it was all made so i could exisit'

"Religion, because it has been sheltered from criticism in the way it has been, allows people - perfectly sane, perfectly intelligent people - to believe en masse what only idiots or lunatics could believe in isolation" -

i dont think there is any difference between the pope wearing a funny hat swinging a smoking purse around and an african painting his face white and praying to a rock

only a fool or the arrogant could think that a carbon based bag of mostly water , on a speck of iron silicate dust around a boring dwarf star in a minor galaxy in a underpopulated local group of galaxies in an unfashionable suburb of a super cluster would look up at the sky and declare.... 'it was all made so i could exisit'

So everything is just pure chance? The fact that the universe is so fine-tuned as to allow life (because many things would only need to be the slightest bit different to preclude it) is just happenstance? And of course, if it is just chance then there can be no right or wrong because that would just be a human artefact, your wrong could be my right, so in fact I can do what I like and escape any criticism?

"Religion, because it has been sheltered from criticism in the way it has been, allows people - perfectly sane, perfectly intelligent people - to believe en masse what only idiots or lunatics could believe in isolation"

Really? How do you justify that? Have you actually debated with the millions of highly intelligent people (like MTS) who have considered it rationally and calmly and in isolation, and come down in favour? That's just a fine-sounding but meaningless sound byte.

i dont think there is any difference between the pope wearing a funny hat swinging a smoking purse around and an african painting his face white and praying to a rock

Of course, that is your perogative. And I must say, when I read the Bible, that it has very little to say either way on the merits or otherwise of wearing funny hats or painting your face white - but it does say that these things are irrelevant to a belief in God, that it isn't about ritual anyway.

I consider myself 100% atheist however get quite annoyed by other so called atheists who go on to slag off religion left right and centre

At the end of the day my belief has just about as much chance as any of the others. The odds of the Earth forming as it has are incomprehensible and as such im more than willing to listen and appreciate the views of people who believe in God -afterall they have as about as much chance as i do at being right!

What it boils down to is that i find the bible and other religious texts complete fakes in terms of their relation to explaining how we came to be. I also have no spiritual inclinations and nor am i really a supporter of the church as an instiutionalised entity. Having said that i do appreciate certain branches of the church that DO embark upon charitable and helpful missions. Because i have never had belief in a faith i find it impossible to relate to how people turn to a God in a time of need yet this is more of a character difference than one of inteligence.

I personally still like to think that im privilleged enough to live on a planet that was created completly against the odds and not made by the hand of God. Having said that come my day of death if i end up at the pearly gates i can promise you i will try my damn hardest to blag the fact i had some sort of faith!

woah, all of that's been pretty interesting, cheers!

I just never really think about whether religion is right/wrong or if the bible is true/not/whatever it wants to be.

No offence to ANY religious people, but the way I see it is that it's nice to have that 'heaven/hell/god/judgement' factor there to back up living a good life..
I mean, it's good to have them there to 'look forward to' and even if, say in a weird string of events, one evil man took over the world (stay with me ;) ) then people could still say that he will be 'judged' in the end, and it is a kind o justice

However, iv'e never looked back at it before, but it hits me as being strange that in primary school, I can't remember exactly, but I know that we were tought years in BC/AD.. which is surely primarily christian, is it not? :stunned:

This just seemed odd every time I thought about it, as it appears a large number of people are now 'religionless'.

please note: I don't know a great deal about religion and stuff at all :unsure:

Err... don't think I stole them from anywhere in particular. Especially not c).

Maybe I am a fool, and maybe I'm arrogant. But you can't change what I believe or feel.

I'm sure we all believe that Southend United is the greatest football club ever to have existed, even if extrinsic evidence might suggest otherwise. Doesn't stop us believing it, though, does it?

Oh, and for the record, I'm avowedly not a creationist. As I said, much of the Old Testament is bunkum, to me. But, as a Protestant, it's the New Testament that counts - and whether you believe that Jesus (who we know lived, that's a fact) died on the cross (we also know that's a fact) to save us from our sins and was resurrected from the dead and ascended to heaven.

It's only that last bit that's the real leap of faith of Christianity. And I believe that happened. You may not, and that's up to you, really.

Matt

Back