• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So if I understand that, they have no stake in SUFC at all and no say who controls the football side at all so the suggestions that Sainsburys could buy the club and sell to the consortium are unfounded?

I believe some of the debt (to RM group co's) is secured against the shares held by RM in SUFC. If RM defaults on the debt - Sainsburys get the club.

Blimey, I'm surprised Sainsburys have actually collated all letters and replied, albeit in a standard format.

Somebody to do with SUFC telling lies, surely not, never would happen on Ron's watch etc etc etc

Can someone ask him why Sainsbury's have converted a lot of their check outs in the Canvey store to self service? *****.

Because it means employing less staff.Thus saving money which that nice Mr King is using to save SUFC.So all those folks no longer employed by Sainsburys can be happy in the knowledge that they are sacrificing their jobs to save the mighty Shrimpers, and I for one thank you.

blimey, i'm surprised sainsburys have actually collated all letters and replied, albeit in a standard format.

Somebody to do with sufc telling lies, surely not, never would happen on ron's watch etc etc etc

bbbboooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggg

I believe some of the debt (to RM group co's) is secured against the shares held by RM in SUFC. If RM defaults on the debt - Sainsburys get the club.

Id imagine that was done against one of the other companies, happy to be proven wrong though....

Blimey, I'm surprised Sainsburys have actually collated all letters and replied, albeit in a standard format.

Somebody to do with SUFC telling lies, surely not, never would happen on Ron's watch etc etc etc

Just another addition to an already looooonnnnnnnng list of lies and cover-ups!

bbbboooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggg

Maybe for you, but not for those of us who are angry at all the lies and are worried about out Club's rapidly diminishing reputation in the football and business worlds.

So if I understand that, they have no stake in SUFC at all and no say who controls the football side at all so the suggestions that Sainsburys could buy the club and sell to the consortium are unfounded?

Are you Ron Martin in disguise? Of course they have a stake in SUFC ..2.5 million shares were put as collateral by RM when SB/s paid the 2mill HMRC debt,Nothing has been paid re: interest/ repayments.......In the big picture.....Sainsbury's own SUFC lock stock and barrel.

Just another addition to an already looooonnnnnnnng list of lies and cover-ups!

Maybe for you, but not for those of us who are angry at all the lies and are worried about out Club's rapidly diminishing reputation in the football and business worlds.

Sorry have I missed something ?

That email tells us nothing we didnt know already?

Whats the new lie thats been added?

Are you Ron Martin in disguise? Of course they have a stake in \SUFC ..2.5 million shares were put as collateral by Rm when SB/s paid the 2mill HRMC debt,Nothing has been paid re: interest/ repayments.......In the big picture.....Sainsbury's own SUFC lock stock and barrel.

Hmmn, if I were Ron Martin Id know about the shares I would imagine.

If Sainsburys own the club why say "However, despite what you may have heard, Sainsbury's do not control the Football Club".

Hmmn, if I were Ron Martin Id know about the shares I would imagine.

If Sainsburys own the club why say "However, despite what you may have heard, Sainsbury's do not control the Football Club".

Because they have not called in the debt..on paper..which is RM's natural calling card ....nothing changes.......

Agreed. It's the same post being written on every thread on this forum with a slightly different wording or subject matter. We get the point.

Well maybe take it onboard then, as people have calmly and politely suggested above and/or refrain from sarcastic or moody posts to show how you agree that it is "bbbboooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggg" & "you get the point"...

Well maybe take it onboard then, as people have calmly and politely suggested above and/or refrain from sarcastic or moody posts to show how you agree that it is "bbbboooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggg" & "you get the point"...

I have taken your point on board. That's why reading it again and again and again is boring. And I wasn't being sarcastic nor moody in my post.

I do understand how important the Club is to the town and I appreciate that the current uncertainty surrounding the Club is not satisfactory to the supporters.

I'm glad somebody realises that - Ron Martin doesn't seem to.

But can we be 100% sure that they won't call in the debt in the very near future?

I can't see why they would bother ..I would imagine it just comes off the lump sum they are paying for Roots Hall although if the loan is attracting interest..the lump sum will be diminishing all the time until they get on site.

A different reply from Sainsburys

Dear Mr Bickle

Thank you for your recent letter concenring the future of Southend United.

All our supermarkets, except our smaller convenience format stores, have wheelchairs and adapted trolleys with seats for use by those customers who may have difficulty in getting round the store to do their shopping. Larger stores also have electric scooters. We have introduced baskets with wheels into some of our smaller stores. We also have chairs at the back of our checkouts which elderly customers appreciate. We have clearly signposted wide-aisle checkouts. The majority of our stores have induction loops (operational 24 hrs a day) that are clearly signposted. In our petrol filling stations we have service call facilities that enables customers who cannot leave their cars to request assistance without leaving their vehicles. Our on-line (internet) shopping service is also helpful for older customers.

Most customers who need help would approach our customer service desks in our stores and our colleagues would then be able to tailor support to their individual needs. Our colleagues in store also look out for and help customers with particular needs, taking them to products they are looking for, and especially for the elderly or others who need more support, walking them round the store to help them do their shop ("accompanied shops"). We offer extra help with packing of shopping and taking it to cars or taxis for customers who would like this.

We have accessible customer toilets in most of our supermarkets. Where there are no customer toilets, our store managers are able to give customers in need access to the colleague toilets.

So far as food and nutrition are concerned, we have a number of policies in place that would assist our older customers :
We recognise the trend of increasing single households and offer a range of 1 portion meals such as our chilled ready meals and our 220g baked beans in tomato sauceand curry in tins. Customers are also able to tailor foods to their preferred portion size at our deli, fish and meat counters; and to select smaller portions from our loose fruit and vegetables.
We take the special dietary needs of our customers very seriously and pride ourselves on our wide selection of healthy and tasty food. We provide our customers with clear and transparent nutrition and ingredients labelling to help them make an informed choice. We display Multiple Traffic Light labelling on the front of products to show if a product is high (red), medium (amber or low (green) in calories, fat, saturated fat, salt and total sugar. This is supported by a nutrition panel on the back of pack. Our Multiple Traffic Light labelling is useful for those looking to control particular nutrients in their diet, and its colour coded nature makes it easier for those with poorer vision to choose healthier products.
We summarise allergens contained within a product in an ‘allergy box’ on pack. Where we believe there is a real risk of a product having come into contact with allergens that could leave a customer with an allergy at risk, we provide information in an allergy advice box. We have a wide variety of own brand products suitable for those with special dietary requirements, such as our Freefrom range and Be Good to Yourself range.Our Freefrom range offers a variety of tasty foods that are suitable for those following a wheat, gluten or dairy free diet. We provide comprehensive guides which list all Sainsbury's own-label products that are suitable for a gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free or wheat free diet; these guides are available online and can be requested from our careline. We also provide product guidance for customers following a nut-free diet; this is posted or emailed to customers who sign up to our mailing list. Our Be Good to Yourself range is nutritionally balanced and has controlled levels of sugar, fat and salt; this range is suitable for those wanting to either control their weight or simply control the amount of fat or sugar they have in their diet. We also offer a choice of reduced-sugar products, including reduced sugar jam and reduced sugar baked beans for those wishing to choose lower sugar options.We stock a wide variety of branded products, including special diet foods such as cholesterol lowering spreads, as well as nutrition supplements such as Complan.
In addition to our products, we provide a range of healthy eating leaflets which cover topics such as heart health, healthy weight, diabetes, food allergies and intolerances and a healthy diet. We also provide information on special diets on our website. Customers can also seek health advice from our pharmacists in-store.
Our store managers are also able to tailor a small number of the products they sell to their customers' needs. So, for example, in one of our stores that I know well where there is a large and loyal cohort of older shoppers, the store manager has been able to request that she stocks particular products that her customers have asked for; this is something the customers have told me they appreciate.

Your sincerely

Justin King
Chief Executive

Last edited:
We do not know the terms of the loan - RM would need to default on the loan or breach covenents. If the loan is covenent free and RM is meeting interest payments and the principal is not due for repayment for say 20 years then Sainsburys cannot call it in.

Back