• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reserves at Orient today

Mildenhall is good.

was you there last night took too long to set up his wall,then got beat from 30 yards out on gk side,addding to that his kicking and distribution was awful,ok you like him but admit when his had a shocker................

was you there last night took too long to set up his wall,then got beat from 30 yards out on gk side,addding to that his kicking and distribution was awful,ok you like him but admit when his had a shocker................

Not sure what else he could have done about that free-kick.

Some of his kicking was poor, but even so it managed to get over the half way line which is an improvement over our keeper last season, who was forever kicking it straight out of play by the half way line.

The most important aspect was the way he commanded his penalty area like a proper keeper.

Some of his kicking was poor, but even so it managed to get over the half way line which is an improvement over our keeper last season, who was forever kicking it straight out of play by the half way line.

The most important aspect was the way he commanded his penalty area like a proper keeper.

He took a pass back that certainly didnt get anywhere near the half way line last night,DF kicking with either foot under pressure was top draw he was also a great shot stopper and if he was 6ft+ he would never of played for us because he would have been to good ?(like feds was).
mildenhall commands his area but everytime he comes out i and most around me cringe with worry.......
and when does he ever get near any shots,1 save at chelsea dont make up for the amount of shots he should have saved this season.
its not a coincedence that our forms been terrible either side of feds loan spell..

He took a pass back that certainly didnt get anywhere near the half way line last night,DF kicking with either foot under pressure was top draw he was also a great shot stopper and if he was 6ft+ he would never of played for us because he would have been to good ?(like feds was).
mildenhall commands his area but everytime he comes out i and most around me cringe with worry.......
and when does he ever get near any shots,1 save at chelsea dont make up for the amount of shots he should have saved this season.
its not a coincedence that our forms been terrible either side of feds loan spell..

Flahavan's biggest problem wasn't his lack of height, although it undoubtedly hampered him, it was his poor decision making. Whilst Mildenhall's size makes him harder to beat in a 1 on 1, what makes him a far superior keeper to Flahavan is his anticipation and the speed off his line.

Getting back on topic, I think Joyce showed a lack of anticipation and reading of the game.

Spot on, if Flahavan kept getting these free kicks totally wrong like Mildred does then Y.B would have been the first one on here. He can't see past his height, one of the poorest keepers at The Hall for a long time!

Flahavan's biggest problem wasn't his lack of height, although it undoubtedly hampered him, it was his poor decision making. Whilst Mildenhall's size makes him harder to beat in a 1 on 1, what makes him a far superior keeper to Flahavan is his anticipation and the speed off his line.

Getting back on topic, I think Joyce showed a lack of anticipation and reading of the game.

but not his shot stopping,his decision making is also terrible,
and joyce is terrible ive seen him various times in friendlys reserves and crewe,im sure he will be gone in may.

Last edited:
Spot on, if Flahavan kept getting these free kicks totally wrong like Mildred does then Y.B would have been the first one on here. He can't see past his height, one of the poorest keepers at The Hall for a long time!

No, I can't see past Flahavan's poor, indecisive, decision-making.

Mildenhall is a goalkeeper, Flahavan was just a shotstopper.

Sorry, got to side with Wiggy here, Flavs was a far superior goalie to Mildenhall. My heart was in my mouth every time the ball went near him last night - what was that big deflection off his chest that he had to reclaim?

The reason why so many people panic about Mildenhall coming out for crosses is because we aren't used to seeing a goalkeeper for Southend do it. We have had what, 5/6 years of Flavs in between the sticks and he hardly ever came out and claimed anything. Whereas Mildenhall comes out and claims everything.

Goalkeepers that dominate their box are more likely to make mistakes as they drop the ball, under hit a punch, or get caught in no mans land. It will happen to Mildenhall but it has happened to the top goalkeepers like Cech, Riena etc.

Flavs never made these types of errors because he doesn't come to claim anything, so his mistakes are less obvious.

Sorry, got to side with Wiggy here, Flavs was a far superior goalie to Mildenhall. My heart was in my mouth every time the ball went near him last night - what was that big deflection off his chest that he had to reclaim?

With Flahavan my heart was in my mouth every time the ball went into the penalty area.

Flahavan might have had better hands than Mildenhall, but Mildenhall is a far superior goalkeeper because of his decision-making, his positioning, his speed off-his line, the way relieves pressure off the defence by coming for crosses hung in the 6 yard box and beyond.

Flahavan is the goalkeeping equivalent of Clarke or Barrett, all last ditch stuff, whilst Mildenhall is the equivalent of Prior, reading the play and anticipating.

Mildenhall is a posing, non shot stopping, all round poor goalkeeper. To get rid of Flahavan and Collis was a cardinal sin and Joyce today had another shocker against a bunch of stiffs. Tilson sent out alarm signals of very poor judgement the way he handled the keeper situation as the 2 that we have got now wouldn't make a decent one between them!

With Flahavan my heart was in my mouth every time the ball went into the penalty area.

Flahavan might have had better hands than Mildenhall, but Mildenhall is a far superior goalkeeper because of his decision-making, his positioning, his speed off-his line, the way relieves pressure off the defence by coming for crosses hung in the 6 yard box and beyond.

Flahavan is the goalkeeping equivalent of Clarke or Barrett, all last ditch stuff, whilst Mildenhall is the equivalent of Prior, reading the play and anticipating.

His bum was still far superior! :p

a GK needs to save shots,we need a keeper who will do all the above,
somone in the same mould as feds.
im sure this will be addressed in pre season with mildenhall relegated to the bench,(flahavans decision making was made to look bad by his height
he couldnt make a decision to come for a cross when his got no right to get it).

Yes

Yes

and

Yes

Thanks YB you just saved me a post, I couldn't agree more with everything you've just said. No surprise that wiggy slags off Mildy though, even he couldn't have failed to notice how commanding he was in the air last night.

As for the goal sometimes you just have to accept it was a great strike, if I think the keeper should save it then I'll say so but I wouldn't blame him for last night - and there was no recriminations from the East Blacks, polite applause for the hit and abuse for the ref for a rather generous decision.

Mildenhall is a posing, non shot stopping, all round poor goalkeeper. To get rid of Flahavan and Collis was a cardinal sin and Joyce today had another shocker against a bunch of stiffs. Tilson sent out alarm signals of very poor judgement the way he handled the keeper situation as the 2 that we have got now wouldn't make a decent one between them!

Would that be the same Collis that has been making howlers left right and centre for Crewe hence why they brought in John Ruddy from Everton on loan?

The reason why so many people panic about Mildenhall coming out for crosses is because we aren't used to seeing a goalkeeper for Southend do it. We have had what, 5/6 years of Flavs in between the sticks and he hardly ever came out and claimed anything. Whereas Mildenhall comes out and claims everything.

Goalkeepers that dominate their box are more likely to make mistakes as they drop the ball, under hit a punch, or get caught in no mans land. It will happen to Mildenhall but it has happened to the top goalkeepers like Cech, Riena etc.

Flavs never made these types of errors because he doesn't come to claim anything, so his mistakes are less obvious.

Fully agree and Flavs was always going to look more spectacular than Mildenhall for two very valid reasons:

(a) Mildy has less saves to make as he actually claims crosses/dead balls and that reduces the amount of chances the opposition has than if Flahavan was between the sticks.

(b) Mildy is 6ft 6 and Flahavan is 5ft 11 at most - therefore Mildenhall has a longer reach and his saves aren't anywhere near as spectacular. Many of Flavs were at full-stretch due to his size.

But of course wiggy won't have noticed any of this as she was far too busy looking at Darryl's perfectly-formed buttocks.

:D

Would that be the same Collis that has been making howlers left right and centre for Crewe hence why they brought in John Ruddy from Everton on loan?

He wasn't great but as good as Mildew and anyone is better than Joyce. As i said, the goalkeeper dept. didn't need tinkering with, the rest of the team did need improving but for one reason or another Tilson has failed to do so!

Back