• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimperstrust

Supporting SUFC
Contingency Planning

Having created a business contingency plan many years ago, I knew how complex potentially this could be. The key was in deciding what constituted a disaster and agreeing on a level of detail that was manageable but effective.

Over several committee meetings, various scenarios were considered and examples researched. Eventually we settled on the view that there was only one real scenario that we needed to cover, namely:

Southend United call in administrators / cease trading in an unplanned manner (or similar).

We could see no other scenario where this plan would be required.

The plan is actually two documents; the first is a small practical plan to cover establishing the invocation and some early actions and the second a series of contact details (this contains personal data).

The practical plan contains a few obvious steps and then a series of prompts that might be required depending on the circumstances.

The idea is that, exactly as alluded to in the recent thread on ShrimperZone, that fans would pull together in the event of a disaster and our job would be to facilitate that. We don’t have a given right to do this - anyone could - but we felt it was part of what our members would expect. We do not have the answers to the universe of questions people have, nor are we more clever than anyone else, we have simply done our best as 15 (currently) individuals to put together a practical plan that, should the worst happen, would hopefully enable us to get through the first few days after a disaster had occurred.

I have no idea what would happen after that, but if anyone feels that this plan should go deeper and cover more scenarios and could help us with that we’d be only too glad to hear from them whether a Trust member or not.

We also doubt we’d be the only party involved in the aftermath of a disaster. The Trust does not have the funds, nor the representation of the majority of fans, but we are probably the largest organised with banking facilities and a formal organisation albeit of enthusiastic volunteers. We’ve done our best in our thinking about this plan and would obviously do so in the event of a disaster. Do I feel comfortable we have everything covered? No I do not, but then again, I feel we've exhausted our own expertise at this point.

Specifically in relation to the thread on SZ

P.Y’s comments were perhaps a fraction wide of the mark: the plan is not secret, but some contents are private, i.e. personal telephone numbers of people not connected to the committee.

I hope this note gives an idea of the effort we have put in on this plan and, contrary to some personal views, I do welcome comment and criticism provided it’s constructive – simply saying the same thing a number of times and not responding to questions is not constructive or clever and is only likely to alienate.

I’d like to end by saying the Trust is a bit of a misnomer; whilst it is easy to criticise, the reality is the Trust is weak. It does not have enough money, but why is this? It’s because actually it’s just 15 people doing their best, they don’t always make the decisions or do the things everyone wants, but those decisions and actions are their best effort at the time.

As above the Trust is made up of 15 equal individuals; there is no power with one or two individuals. In my role as Chairman, of course I will try to direct as I think fit as anyone can and does. Everything of note is voted on at committee and I am often outvoted, and that is healthy in my opinion. Of course the downside is that sometimes it can take longer to make a decision.

Responding to an active social media vehicle is tough because information is required instantly (usually) - the perception is we have been bad at this and I personally take that on board. I would prefer all committee members to post their own thoughts - most don’t for their own reasons but that is not a directive. This is just my view at present, the recent thread highlighted this issue in no uncertain terms, which we have discussed at our last committee meeting on Monday night and will consider carefully as already stated.

Paul FitzGerald
Trust Chairman
pfitz666@aol.com

Contingency Planning

Having created a business contingency plan many years ago, I knew how complex potentially this could be. The key was in deciding what constituted a disaster and agreeing on a level of detail that was manageable but effective.

Over several committee meetings, various scenarios were considered and examples researched. Eventually we settled on the view that there was only one real scenario that we needed to cover, namely:

Southend United call in administrators / cease trading in an unplanned manner (or similar).

The plan is actually two documents; the first is a small practical plan to cover establishing the invocation and some early actions and the second a series of contact details (this contains personal data).

The practical plan contains a few obvious steps and then a series of prompts that might be required depending on the circumstances.

The idea is that, exactly as alluded to in the recent thread on ShrimperZone, that fans would pull together in the event of a disaster and our job would be to facilitate that. We don’t have a given right to do this - anyone could - but we felt it was part of what our members would expect. We do not have the answers to the universe of questions people have, nor are we more clever than anyone else, we have simply done our best as 15 (currently) individuals to put together a practical plan that, should the worst happen, would hopefully enable us to get through the first few days after a disaster had occurred.

I have no idea what would happen after that, but if anyone feels that this plan should go deeper and cover more scenarios and could help us with that we’d be only too glad to hear from them whether a Trust member or not.

We also doubt we’d be the only party involved in the aftermath of a disaster. The Trust does not have the funds, nor the representation of the majority of fans, but we are probably the largest organised with banking facilities and a formal organisation albeit of enthusiastic volunteers. We’ve done our best in our thinking about this plan and would obviously do so in the event of a disaster. Do I feel comfortable we have everything covered? No I do not, but then again, I feel we've exhausted our own expertise at this point.

P.Y’s comments were perhaps a fraction wide of the mark: the plan is not secret, but some contents are private, i.e. personal telephone numbers of people not connected to the committee.

I hope this note gives an idea of the effort we have put in on this plan and, contrary to some personal views, I do welcome comment and criticism provided it’s constructive – simply saying the same thing a number of times and not responding to questions is not constructive or clever and is only likely to alienate.

I’d like to end by saying the Trust is a bit of a misnomer; whilst it is easy to criticise, the reality is the Trust is weak. It does not have enough money, but why is this? It’s because actually it’s just 15 people doing their best, they don’t always make the decisions or do the things everyone wants, but those decisions and actions are their best effort at the time.

As above the Trust is made up of 15 equal individuals; there is no power with one or two individuals. In my role as Chairman, of course I will try to direct as I think fit as anyone can and does. Everything of note is voted on at committee and I am often outvoted, and that is healthy in my opinion. Of course the downside is that sometimes it can take longer to make a decision.

Responding to an active social media vehicle is tough because information is required instantly (usually) - the perception is we have been bad at this and I personally take that on board. I would prefer all committee members to post their own thoughts - most don’t for their own reasons but that is not a directive. This is just my view at present, the recent thread highlighted this issue in no uncertain terms, which we have discussed at our last committee meeting on Monday night and will consider carefully as already stated.

Paul FitzGerald
Trust Chairman
pfitz666@aol.com

there are two very important points here
the plan-This makes total sense to me (and I have been involved in BCP/DR planning for a number of years). Every plan has to be flexible to meet changing conditions and it is unrealistic that the plan covers every single eventuality, as simply if we were to go into admin there are a number of things that could then happen concerning other parties stepping in and the exact priorities at that point.

The communication- This and yesterdays post are definitely IMO the way forward in terms of communication. People are not content with short answers. Threads in here prove that if their is an opportunity to come to a negative conclusion then people will do it . Explaining why things work in a certain makes negative responses less likely

Contingency Planning

Paul FitzGerald
Trust Chairman
pfitz666@aol.com

Very well done Paul and the Trust. Most fans like me feel that you are not in our world, but this I feel will bring us closer and has shown a lot more transparency. I know that you are often put in a lot of can't win either way situations, if you do or don't respond to comments on here regarding the Trust and what you do and any plans for this and that happening regarding the future of Southend United. Perhaps now there is more chance of the fans being more united.

Being neutral due to my association with both trust and non trust members I often abstain from comment on this situation.
In this case I believe the response is well thought out and measured and if honest, I believe that before people criticise in the future then they should first take up the offer to get involved and be constructive. Not all of us want to do this but we must give leeway to those willing to.
Communication is a great way to keep people feeling from being isolated from the Trust and I truly believe the Trust members should be able to post without concern as to certain unwarranted responses that happen.
We do all want the same thing.

I believe the criticism was warranted, and has had the desired effect. At first, the response seemed quite arrogant and started to become personal, which was uncomfortable to read. I take your point Bobby Dazzler, but at that stage I would definately not want to "get involved". For example - If I don't agree with the policies of the Tory party, I certainly wouldn't want to join them.

However, recent postings have been very positive from the Trust and seeing all the various supporter groups pulling together has got to be a good thing.

I believe the criticism was warranted, and has had the desired effect. At first, the response seemed quite arrogant and started to become personal, which was uncomfortable to read. I take your point Bobby Dazzler, but at that stage I would definately not want to "get involved". For example - If I don't agree with the policies of the Tory party, I certainly wouldn't want to join them.

However, recent postings have been very positive from the Trust and seeing all the various supporter groups pulling together has got to be a good thing.

Yes you may think warranted but some of the demanding and rude emails I got from the trust as soon as this critique was raised was out of line

So what actually is the plan, is it published? Or as usual just a bumping gums execise

The headlines of the plan are in post no 1. The detail would only get added to/fleshed out if that scenario (administration etc)were to happen.

Back