• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Restaurant recommendation

Here in Essex it seems there are people queueing up to be seen at expensive restaurants and bars irrespective of the quality of the food and service.
To be fair, the rooms at the Roslin, and the service are decent. The breakfast was a solid 8/10 and the views are excellent.

Back in the day that road was one of the most attractive. Views of the front and the Kursaal at the bottom , plus St Erkenwalds. Sadly, the slags down York Road and the various people who moved into the area made it less salubrious.
I grew up in that area and went to Porters Grange from 1965 onwards so I do know that area, and went to boys brigade at the Methodist church: and the "back in the day" must have been more than a century ago, when Southchurch Ave was called Brewery Lane and the mess of small terrace tenements (that got pulled down for Queensway) had not been long build. It has been a mess and troubled area for any living memory but some of the big old houses must have been good Victorian era. Making them small, cheap flats and bedsits was a short term profit, long term pain for the area.

I nearly forgot: Ocean Beach. A sunny day, tide in. Seated on the enclosed decking with the light glistening on the water. I think the food’s decent, reasonable price and it’s just a really nice place to eat and linger over that extra drink or two at the end.

My wife has eaten at the Roslyn a fair bit when they had works do's there and again with her friends post retirement. Her overall opinion of the restaurant was ;All fur coat and no knickers'. I don't pretend to fully understand that statement

but it sounds a bit damning. I've run several training events there back in the days when I had to earn a living. They were not badly organised by the Hotel but the food is what it is when you hold a training event! Either way, when we drive past it now the restaurant always seems rammed so it must be doing something right.

Il Padrino.near the Cliffs Shorefield Road.Last October (so not sure if that qualifies as post lockdown) but very good.
We eat at Padrino's at fair bit, often before a show at the Cliffs. Their pre-show menu is by far the best of the three restaurants in that row. The A La Carte food is first rate but you need to eat later after the theatre rush has gone to fully enjoy it.

You could try Latinos Hadleigh. Great food, were meticulous about Covid regulation, don’t seem concerned now. Depends how you feel about that.
We go to Latinos quite often, and have also introduced it to lots of other people too. Love the place - the staff are fantastic and the food is always good.

We eat at Padrino's at fair bit, often before a show at the Cliffs. Their pre-show menu is by far the best of the three restaurants in that row. The A La Carte food is first rate but you need to eat later after the theatre rush has gone to fully enjoy it.
Indeed I used to eat there occasionally when it was known as Mama Mia.Although the owner has changed the place is still first rate IMO.I hope to go back there when we're next over in May.Hope you enjoy your weddding anniversary meal btw,wherever you go.

Indeed I used to eat there occasionally when it was known as Mama Mia.Although the owner has changed the place is still first rate IMO.I hope to go back there when we're next over in May.Hope you enjoy your weddding anniversary meal btw,wherever you go.
That was last year Barna, this thread has longevity that's for sure.

We tried Antica Roma in Rochford last week.
Seems they have had great reviews and it came highly recommended.
I couldn't get to book a table a couple of weeks back but got lucky last week but by all accounts it is always busy.
The food was lovely and plenty of it and quite reasonably priced too.

Has anyone else tried Maluchis at Tarpots? On the opposite side to the hugely successful and always overcrowded and very noisy Aspera, Maluchis is an ostentatious looking place which you assume is going to be Indian or Turkish from the decor. It's not, the food is beautifully seasonal and as local as possible, it's British food, and high quality, mixed with some Mediterranean influences.

Well worth a try, not too bad on the price front foodwise, but obviously drinks have the usual kind of mark up, especially cocktails. The name incidentally, is a mixture of two of their dogs' names!

Has anyone else tried Maluchis at Tarpots? On the opposite side to the hugely successful and always overcrowded and very noisy Aspera, Maluchis is an ostentatious looking place which you assume is going to be Indian or Turkish from the decor. It's not, the food is beautifully seasonal and as local as possible, it's British food, and high quality, mixed with some Mediterranean influences.

Well worth a try, not too bad on the price front foodwise, but obviously drinks have the usual kind of mark up, especially cocktails. The name incidentally, is a mixture of two of their dogs' names!
And if it doesn’t work out. One of Essex’s best KFC’s is practically next door!!!

Back