• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard Mckinney

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
just read on col u website great things about our proposed new keeper, rooted to his line and the back four not comfortable in front of him. Here we go again on the reject keeper merrygoround, Flavs is more than good enougth for this division and once again sounds like from the points of view of col u fans we are getting in someone inferior to what we already had.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ June 22 2004,22:48)]Here we go again ...
Just what I was thinking, Mr Positive ...

WS

wink.gif

I am getting fed-up with this "ex-Col Ewe so we crucify him" cr*p whenever we sign anyone who has played up the A12.
At least give the bloke a chance to prove himself before we slag him off.How do you know he is going to be our first-choice keeper ?

Having watched the Trust's presentation of last year's matches at the Player of the Year do, I felt it showed Flahavan's inadaquacies very well. It is no wonder he hasn't been offered a new contract as I feel there are much better ( and mobile) keepers about.

Wiggy,

You are a man with strong views (which is no bad thing so long as those views respect those of others). However, some weeks back you slated the board for selling ALL of our best players and failing to compete in the market (if I have the gist correct).

Here you are now slating a goalkeeper who you haven't seen, based upon the judgements of other people - a goalkeeper who is mooted to be our understudy for the season.

Just out of interest, did you post at all regarding any of the following?:

* Southend signing the Bristol Rovers captain despite Rovers wanting to keep him
* Gower signing a contract extension to stay at Roots Hall
* Jay Smith signing a new contract, and
* Andy Edwards returning to the club

I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

SBH

Can somebody clear up some confusion...is McKinney the first choice goalie or as someone has suggested the second choice with another goalie to be announced? If he is first choice then I take it Flavs will not be second, and so who is?

That profile confirms it! Makes shocking mistakes and is injury prone, two things Flahavon definately is not. Obviously Overseas shrimper still hasn"t got over Flavs having afew to many at that social event.

Does that prove that you DO only comment on negative points?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - perhaps you missed my post above?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wiggy,

You are a man with strong views (which is no bad thing so long as those views respect those of others). However, some weeks back you slated the board for selling ALL of our best players and failing to compete in the market (if I have the gist correct).

Here you are now slating a goalkeeper who you haven't seen, based upon the judgements of other people - a goalkeeper who is mooted to be our understudy for the season.

Just out of interest, did you post at all regarding any of the following?:

* Southend signing the Bristol Rovers captain despite Rovers wanting to keep him

I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

SBH

Southend are a negative club! Three decent players gone, Flavs Cort, Connie. Positive clubs would of kept them all!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ June 23 2004,09:27)]Southend are a negative club! Three decent players gone, Flavs Cort, Connie. Positive clubs would of kept them all!
You chat sh*t, we couldn't afford to keep them!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wiggy
Southend are a negative club! Three decent players gone, Flavs Cort, Connie. Positive clubs would of kept them all!

And your comments on the following?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]* Southend signing the Bristol Rovers captain despite Rovers wanting to keep him

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 23 2004,09:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ June 23 2004,09:27)]Southend are a negative club! Three decent players gone, Flavs Cort, Connie. Positive clubs would of kept them all!
You chat sh*t, we couldn't afford to keep them!
Agree about this 'Wiggy' chatting absolute rubbish, but you have got muddled up!

Leon Cort- wanted to play at a higher level so went with a club that in my view is going places.
Leon Constantine- wanted more money than what we can afford, surely as previously stated we would rather have 2 good players rather than Leon Constantine who had one prolific season, and is guaranteed another!

This 'Wiggy' is not a supporter of Southend United as it is quite obvious methinks!

[b said:
Come on then, Wiggy.......let's hear how you would have persuaded the two Leons to stay at Roots Hall when more money and a higher level of football is on offer to them. Sometimes ambition is the deciding factor, especially in a footballer's short career.

But seeing as you obviously know everything, just what would you have done to keep them? Without breaking the bank and the wage structure, whilst also leaving enough dosh in the pot to allow for other signings.

As for Flavs, his loyalty to the club was highlighted when he sniffed around for clubs higher up the league - as is his right - but he came back because nobody thought him good enough. And he's NOT the best we should be aiming for!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lookwell @ June 23 2004,09:49)]
[b said:
Come on then, Wiggy.......let's hear how you would have persuaded the two Leons to stay at Roots Hall when more money and a higher level of football is on offer to them. Sometimes ambition is the deciding factor, especially in a footballer's short career.

But seeing as you obviously know everything, just what would you have done to keep them? Without breaking the bank and the wage structure, whilst also leaving enough dosh in the pot to allow for other signings.

As for Flavs, his loyalty to the club was highlighted when he sniffed around for clubs higher up the league - as is his right - but he came back because nobody thought him good enough. And he's NOT the best we should be aiming for!!
Hear, hear.

You lot could argue the toss all day about who should have stayed & who should have gone [playing staff] at the end of last season.

IMO, we should all have more faith in Tilly & Brushy to put together a decent squad for the forthcoming season. Look at our squad now [GK aside] and tell me we don't have a decent side in the making.

Darryl has some shortcomings and maybe that is why he has not been offered another contract, but we should still trust the judgement of our team's management to get in a couple of guys to do a good job. Even if the GK's we get in are only a slight improvement on Darryl, it's a step in the right direction!!!

wink.gif

Agree with just about everything that has been said by all except for Wiggy, who is entitled to express his opinions - even if they are wrong!

I think we need to trust Tilly & Brush(who seems to be an important factor in all the signings to date).

What we don't know is:

* What Darryl's attitude is like in training
* What his influence is like in the dressing room (and outside it - although the time he got picked up by the Police is a bit worrying)
* What wages he was on (and what he would have wanted to stay) and how that fits in with the wage structure at the club)
* What other contractual demands he would have had (guaranteed no.1 'keeper?) and how that would have fitted in with someone like McKinney who is clearly not going to be content with reserve football and keeping the bench warm but is ambitious to get a start in the 1st XI

What we do know is that he is a reasonable shot-stopper, he's quite short for a professional goalkeeper and he doesn't seem confident in coming off his line at set pieces.

I agree that we probably will be able to do better, and will probably need to get a better 'keeper if we are to stand any chance of promotion.

Let's trust our management team in making what are quite difficult decisions. Darryl was an OK 'keeper, but he's hardly set the world alight and did not show himself to be the most loyal player at the end of last season. I'm happy to wait and see who we get in his place before making a judgement on whether we were right to let him go or not, although I shan't be losing any sleep over the decision in the meantime.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Agree with just about everything that has been said by all except for Wiggy, who is entitled to express his opinions - even if they are wrong!
Personally, I'm amazed.
I asked Wiggy a direct question relating to positive steps the club has taken recently regarding Gower, Smith, Barratt and Edwards.  Given his penchance for discussing only the negative things which have happened (which seem to happen to every football club) he has chosen NOT to respond.  I have reposed the question several times now in different threads where Wiggy was posting.

Can we agree then Wiggy that you WILL only see the negative things that happen and turn a blind eye to anything positive?

Wiggy under you name it says school boy ......how apt !

Oh that old southend -Col U rivalry...one to match Spurs and Arsenal.

I despair i really do .....

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of Col U & SUFC rivalry.

The only thing wrong is assuming that someone who played for the enemy must be sheite. There are more than a few players in their team that I wouldn't mind having on our books.

The greatest player ever to sport an SUFC shirt also played for Colchester.

Hank, am I to believe you are unsatisfied with the lack of response so far from Wiggy ?

Back