• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can't we get the :sad: on the banner? His "we're gonna get spanked" was always ended with that smiley.....

Might have to leave out the line "cos he kills coppers" though. :smile:
I don't remember it! Maybe you could come up with a suitable and more appropriate version?!

Am liking the idea of the General Sports forum being named after Harry, what he didn't know about sport generally wasn't worth knowing!

That's it, it's all coming back to me now.

All you youngsters -- don't get old and forgetful.

The lucky ones get old mate, hopefully I will be one of them like my Mum, 84 years young and has just got SKY and broadband, she says she needs to keep up with these modern ways, God bless her!

Ah, I see, no, probably best not then! Maybe a chorus of "One Harry Roberts" or something then?

Those very words came up in conversation last night with some of Harry's old Southend Sunday league friends. We didn't think it would be possible, but if at the next game there could be a chorus of "One Harry Roberts", maybe just after kick-off, then I think the crowd would be paying the best tribute to him possible. He would look down with that huge grin of his, without a doubt.

Although I never met Harry, I felt as though I knew him through his contributions to this forum. When I first joined Shrimperzone I felt as though he went out of his way to make me welcome by responding to some of my early posts and pointing out we had a Teesside connection in common - Harry spent a few years working up here though our paths never crossed. His contributions to this forum were always a combination of knowledgeable, constructive and humorous. Shocked to hear of this week's news. He will be sadly missed.

Very saddend by this news, always made me smile with his be spanked comment, will sadly be missed this weekend and every pre match thread to come...R.I.P.

Tara Brady called me earlier and although he only met H once would like to pass on his condolences to all that knew him, as he admired his posts and respected his views.

Apologies if this is a bit rambling; it hasn't been easy to write but hopefully third time lucky.

To me it feels like a bit of Southend United has died. Harry had became the first person I'd turn to for some historical insight or perspective on SUFC. He was a treasure trove of anecdotes and memories that spanned five and a bit decades and was like my direct link to the club's heritage. I use to love to sit down and over an ale or two talk all things SUFC and cricket with him, asking him about various players from the past and their escapades. As a bibliophile I can pay no greater compliment that to say he was like a well worn encyclopedia - maybe even a well-thumbed copy of Wisden - an old favourite full of fascinating tit-bits and knowledge that you couldn't but help to delve into time after time. That link has now been lost so it feels like my club has gone from being one with a hundred years plus history and all the stories and legends passed down that that entails to some MK Dons **spit** type upstart that started in the mid to late 80s.

I had nothing but the utmost respect for his opinions and knowledge on Southend United or on cricket, and knew that whenever I was struggling to put together a team of players whose surnames were jobs or players who could start fights in an empty phone booth, Harry would come up with the required names. I value that highly in a drinking companion and Harry was one of the very best.

I can't remember where or when I first met him - I suspect it was in the Spread in the very early days of Shrimperzone - but
over the years I had the privilege to chew the fat with him over a beer on numerous occasions be it pre or post-match at the Spread, at a ShrimperZone Beer Club or a quiz night. He bailed us out of numerous quizzes - his knowledge most famously being demonstrated on Eggheads when he was the only team member not to disgrace Shrimperzone - and quiz nights just won't be the same any more. I've done many a quiz night in the Shrimpers and team-mates have come and gone and then comeback again but Harry was always a constant in my team (or rather me in his team). It's going to be so wrong to be there without him there.

But above all he was a genuinely decent person and you couldn't wish to meet a nicer bloke.

He's going to be missed by so many people and shrimperzone is going to be so much worse off without his humour, insight and balance.

RIP

RIP canveyshrimper. Your "we're gonna get spanked" my favourite quote for match day threads.

RIP fella x

Back