• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RIP Sir David Amess

Regardless of colour, religion, gender, laws need to be changed to make people safe, and offenders not released into the community
My thoughts with his family
Laws won't change anything. The culture needs to change. These people have no regard for life nor laws anyway. We shouldn't allow such violence against any MP's of any party or background. I've been saying this since Jo Cox was murdered. I'm simply horrified at where this nation stands right now.

Horrified, beyond shocking. Poor poor man, went off to work this morning and murdered in cold blood in the middle of the day. Sleep well Sir David, a true public servant, and much loved local man.
Thinking exactly the same. Still cannot believe that the man I used to see regularly around Leigh, always with a cheeky grin, a friendly, thoughtful chap was so viciously and horrifically attacked and killed in my town today, and in a local church.

His last moments must have been terrifying.

Poor David.

Astonishing is too often a word to describe people in such tragic circumstances. Not in this case. A true community and County MP with personal integrity and beliefs and the wherewithal to drive change and influence from the back benches with approved private members bills as testimony. Much like Teddy Taylor and countless MPs across the political divide a true MP for the locals.

Today’s media theatre that is politics and parliament is much weaker for this loss but primary thoughts and deepest sympathies to the Amess family. They have lost far, far more and needlessly so.

Couldn't even look at this yesterday, this murder shocked and numbed me.

Had met David many times, he was a staunch supporter of the work that Lions Clubs did, right back to when we were in our Leo Club (then a younger version of Lions) in Basildon, when he was MP there. He'd always come over and talk to us on our stalls at the various fetes - in fact, used to go round all the stalls and speak to the stall holders. Still did a lot to support Leigh on Sea Lions Club, and also a massive supporter of Off the Streets in Southend, and lots of animal welfare charities.

Of course there are going to be things you don't always agree with people, especially MPs on, he and I were poles apart on the pro life campaign for instance, but at the end of the day, he was a decent man, just trying to do the right thing by his constituents in a town that he loved.

Absolutely tragic news. RIP Sir David

It does seem to be one of the main news stories in most of the Western World's news

Probably in the UK certainly not on French TV last night,though it did make El Pais (n Spain) this am https://elpais.com/internacional/20...varias-punaladas-durante-un-acto-publico.html

Edit.TBF to France my wife tells me that the story was covered by France Inter on the car radio this am.

I think we can all agree though that it's a truly shocking story for all Brits,

Last edited:
Civilised societies don't hang people.They lock them up instead.

This might be a loaded question but, if aspects of that civilised society don’t want to comport themselves in a civilised manner, why should they be afforded the - for lack of a better word - protection of a civilised punishment?

Is it purely for optics? Does it make us better than them?

Civilised societies don't hang people.They lock them up instead.
This individual who is guilty beyond doubt should, in my view, be kept locked up until he dies with no hope of parole & permitted the bare minimum of human rights in sustenance, water & shelter-no more.

If this was indeed a terror driven crime as is being mooted he should also be isolated to prevent further spreading of his filthy ideals & morals.

I totally begrudge having to pay to keep scum like this alive whilst his victim now lies cold in a hospital mortuary?

Rest in peace Sir David.?

Last edited:
This individual who is guilty beyond doubt should, in my view, be kept locked up until he dies with no hope of parole & permitted the bare minimum of human rights in sustenance, water & shelter-no more.

If this was indeed a terror driven crime as is being mooted he should also be isolated to prevent further spreading of his filthy ideals & morals.

I totally begrudge having to pay to keep scum like this alive whilst his victim now lies cold in a hospital mortuary?

Rest in peace Sit David.?

Don't we have a Whole life sentence? That was given to Sarah Everard’s killer.

This might be a loaded question but, if aspects of that civilised society don’t want to comport themselves in a civilised manner, why should they be afforded the - for lack of a better word - protection of a civilised punishment?

Is it purely for optics? Does it make us better than them?

Very good point.

One things for sure, the defence are on a hiding to nothing, you couldn't get a more clear murder case.

I'm no expert on the justice system but I do know plea's are used by the defence as a bargaining tool, however, I'd like to think any plea such as insanity eg would be trumped by a terrorist act, where it can be proved without reasonable doubt that it was.

I'm not sure if IT'S been charged yet, but I'm sure the Police will use that time to pick the bones out of the whole thing. Family members, friends, they'll all be getting a knock on the door.

This scum bag will go down for a very long time and may never experience freedom again, just like his victim.

We do but rarely dish it out. Saying that I think the murderer of Jo Cox got one so fingers crossed.
Correct he did get that, and so should this guy now that a precedent has been set!
Also picture of the huge number of flowers down at belfairs today

Attachments

• 6B500B7E-B15D-400F-B9EF-3F074D3A5DEC.jpeg
    6B500B7E-B15D-400F-B9EF-3F074D3A5DEC.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 18
In cases like these where you saw the murderer in the act, I'd like to see the death sentence.
A country or system doesn't need to be barbaric for this to happen. What will happen now is the murderer will get life and we will all be paying our taxes which will help keep him fed and watered in jail.

I was in the area this morning. What I didn't like was reporters bothering the public, trying to get an angle. I heard one reporter asking leading questions about the area and trying to get them to say it was a bit of a rough area. Thankfully the local was having none of it and was saying what a great area it was to live in

The Death Sentence is exactly what people that commit these crimes want.

Whole life prison tarrif is better
But hugely costly to the tax payer! He kills somebody and now he gets to live the rest of his life not having to worry about getting a job paying for a home or any of the other pressures or modern life. Seems unfair to David’s memory

But hugely costly to the tax payer! He kills somebody and now he gets to live the rest of his life not having to worry about getting a job paying for a home or any of the other pressures or modern life. Seems unfair to David’s memory
Would a life sentence ease the worries you have in everyday life or are the free choices you get to make every day worth the price of having to work and provide your own home?

Back