• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rob Newman

footymad13

AFC Telford about becoming there new manager ... God help them !
-------------------

Former Southend manager and Norwich City stalwart Rob Newman has emerged as a surprise front-runner to become AFC Telford United boss.

Newman, a former Premiership player with the Canaries, has already held "informal talks" with the new club's board and has admitted his interest in filling the hot-seat.

He is currently in Shropshire attending a fortnight coaching course at Lilleshall and now faces an anxious week-long wait while interviews with candidates continue and a final decision is made.

"I knew about the sad demise of Telford and I have spoken to Simon Shakeshaft while I have been in Shropshire about the new club and I am very keen to take the job on," Newman said.

"I have had an informal chat with the board and I was impressed with the vision they have to take the club forward.

"The platform is there with a magnificent stadium and if the local community back the club, the potential is massive.

"I am desperate to get back into management and I think this represents a great opportunity."

The 40-year-old has experience as a manager, spending 18 months in charge at Third Division Southend before being sacked in March 2003.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 10 2004,00:16)]AFC Telford about becoming there new manager ... God help them !
I say good luck to him and to AFC Telford ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 10 2004,07:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 10 2004,00:16)]AFC Telford about becoming there new manager ... God help them !

WS
Nice guy, But in my eyes doesn't cut it as a manager. Poor decisions, poor motivational qualities and quite a few dud signings.

I will be looking out for AFC Telford, after all Telford were my team i followed in the Conference. But i can't see Newman getting the job.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 10 2004,08:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 10 2004,07:11)]
[b said:

WS
Nice guy, But in my eyes doesn't cut it as a manager. Poor decisions, poor motivational qualities and quite a few dud signings.

I will be looking out for AFC Telford, after all Telford were my team i followed in the Conference. But i can't see Newman getting the job.
FM, why can't you just leave things without having to put some bullsh*t comment.

Good luck to Rob I hope he gets the job and does well.

[b said:
-------------------
Muppet. Newman gave his all for this club as a player and manager. Let's hope when you take a knock later on in your life those around you don't treat you with a similar lack of respect.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 10 2004,08:28)]Poor decisions, poor motivational qualities and quite a few dud signings.
Explain more...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 10 2004,11:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 10 2004,08:28)]Poor decisions, poor motivational qualities and quite a few dud signings.
Explain more...
Maybe FM could have added a IMHO, but I would have to say that he didn't sign nearly the amount of quality Wignall brought in. Salter... I wouldn't agree with poor motivational, but then everyone is entitled to their opinions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ June 10 2004,15:25)]Did Newman bring in Barrington Belgrave?
Nope. It was Webby. Even the old Master got it wrong occasionally (e.g. Kevin O'Callaghan).

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ June 10 2004,15:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 10 2004,11:53)]
[b said:
Explain more...
Maybe FM could have added a IMHO, but I would have to say that he didn't sign nearly the amount of quality Wignall brought in. Salter... I wouldn't agree with poor motivational, but then everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Well he never seemed to get the team motivated. We would come out at half time and instead of doing better we would do much worse.

Least under Tilson the team looks like it wants to play.

Whats that about Newman lacking motivational qualities?

I'll remind you shall I off the home game on boxing day Vs Rushden. 2 nil down at half time then an inspired half time team talk resulted in the Shrimpers coming out and scoring 4 without reply. Nuff said.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ June 10 2004,18:18)]Whats that about Newman lacking motivational qualities?

I'll remind you shall I off the home game on boxing day Vs Rushden. 2 nil down at half time then an inspired half time team talk resulted in the Shrimpers coming out and scoring 4 without reply. Nuff said.
I knew that, Barrington Belgrave also scored 2 didn't he and how many other games did we come from behind and win. Anyone got the stat ?

Nuff said !

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 10 2004,08:28)]Nice guy, But in my eyes doesn't cut it as a manager. Poor decisions, poor motivational qualities and quite a few dud signings.
Ah, yes. I forgot about your obvious talents in spotting managerial talent ...

WS

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 11 2004,07:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 10 2004,08:28)]Nice guy, But in my eyes doesn't cut it as a manager. Poor decisions, poor motivational qualities and quite a few dud signings.

WS

rock.gif
Mike, Are you saying that Rob cut it as a manager. I would say finishing 17th isn't evidence of that.

Personally, I would like to have given him another year though to see what would have happened - remember for every Mark Salter, there was a Jay Smith.

Best of luck to Rob i say, i hope he is successful at his job, wherever it may be. He is a good bloke and the fact he turned up to play at Tillys testimonial is prove of that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagster69 @ June 11 2004,10:02)]Mike, Are you saying that Rob cut it as a manager. I would say finishing 17th isn't evidence of that.
Of course the same could be said of Tilson.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 11 2004,07:40)]
[b said:

WS

rock.gif
Not bloody talent its just a year of sitting threw the cr*p he served up.

Last Season RN was in charge for 39 league games, during which time we acquired 48 points, which if he'd stayed for the season and continued his average of 1.2 points a game, would have meant finishing 14th with 56 points. So fair enough i was wrong with saying RN finished 17th, when in fact it tailed off even more after he left, hoever i would still say a finish of 14th doesn't cut it - but would still have liked to have seen him given another season.

This season ST was in charge of 28 league games, during which time we acquired 39 points, which if he'd been in charge for the whole season equates to 1.4 points a game, which would have given us 64 points overall meaning a finish of 9th place. This also doesn't take into account his cup games which make his record better.

Back