• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ June 06 2005,20:30)]We must keep him as i cant see us getting an equally good goalkeeper!  
But surely Tilly must review all his options? Who knows what keepers could become available over the summer? I for one think Flavs has done well this season and is deservedly our number one....but he has to be made to fight for the jersey.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 06 2005,20:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ June 06 2005,20:30)]We must keep him as i cant see us getting an equally good goalkeeper!  
But surely Tilly must review all his options? Who knows what keepers could become available over the summer? I for one think Flavs has done well this season and is deservedly our number one....but he has to be made to fight for the jersey.
Agreed 100%.

Has Bart still got a future at SUFC??

flavs like every player has his faults but since the arrival of bart he has improved immensely as a keeper

flavs may not be as good in the air as bart but he is better than bart with his distribution

you could go on all day about who is better at what

lets start to realise that we have 2 good keepers at this club and both deserve their chance to play in league one

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ June 06 2005,20:15)]Why do you keep on going about the play off final!

Flav's had hardly anything to do!  Plus he made some important saves!
The thing I'll remember most about the playoff final when it comes to Flavs is the fact that he needed two goal-line clearances to be made for him by both Bentley and Wilson. Yeah, he didn't do much, Che and Mark did it for him.

BTW, I am a Flavs fan before you say anything.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ June 06 2005,20:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Why do you keep on going about the play off final!

Because as the most recent (and most memorable game) its a good an example as any.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Flav's had hardly anything to do! Plus he made some important saves!

I agree Flahavan had very little to do, but that makes it even worse that he still contrived to set up Lincoln's two best opportunities.

He may have made important saves, but they were easy saves for a professional goalkeeper. I would have expected Tes Bramble to have made those saves.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That save at home to NTFC in the play-offs was superb, prob the best ever from a SUFC keeper!

See my post above. A good keeper wouldn't have had to make that save.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You keep on about all the mistakes Flav's has made, yet miss Bart's ones!
To be honest, I can't recall too many Bart mistakes, although I seem to recall he had a dodgy game back in October?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Your comment "where the lack of a proper goalkeeper has cost us and has forced our defenders to defend too deep", what on earth are you on??
A goalkeeper needs to command his area. Ideally he should gather all the crosses which come inside the 6 yard box, this then allows defenders to defend further up the pitch and keeps attackers further away from goal which makes the life of a goalkeeper that much easier.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What more do you want from a keeper???
Good decision-making, command of the area and their defence, an intimidating presence, a good temprament etc etc

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We're promoted for god-sake, get behind Daryll!
Don't worry, I get behind the team. The team did well. Thats not to say that all components of that team can't be improved on.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ June 06 2005,20:30)]Barrett, Flav's and Freddy are worth breaking the bank for!

biggrin.gif
And when we get deducted points for going into receivership because the bank has been Broken and or points deducting for breaching the wage cap
rock.gif

YES! Silly season finally gets punctuated with a footballing topic. I've never been so glad to see a Bart vs Darryl debate although more on Fossett's Farm might be worth discussing...

wink.gif

Whilst readint rhough this, I've been racking my brains on games where I can remember Griemink being culpable for goals and putting in bad performance.

1) He struggled against Luton, but then the whole team struggled against Luton. Still, point stands.
2) Against Macclesfield, a mi$%&* clearance went straight to midfielder Whittaker who tucked the ball in to the unguarded net from about 40 yards. Of course this was our first win of the season so the points cost argument doesn't really stick here.
3) Not at all certain, but possibly Boston away when we lost 2-0. Need some confirmation on this cos I wasn't there but listened to it. He may not even have played.

So, as we can see, he's not exactly 'safe hands' for 50 games or perhaps 30 as was the case. Please, TTK or wiggy, give any more examples you can think of and we can hang Bart's entire back catalogue of mistakes out to dry.

BUT

Please don't get us started on Darryl's mistakes. It's obvious that you rate him highly as a keeper, in fact you seem to think he's good enough to be, what, top 6/7 in the Premier$hite as Royce was at his peak (Charlton at home to Man United sticks in the mind). To me, that seems absurd, but that's my opinion and yours differs.

This season, Bart was superb as we resurrected our season after the poor start and Darryl has been superb in the second half of the season bar the occasional blip.

For me, the biggest single improvement in Darryl's game has been his mentality at dealing with crosses or perhaps, more broadly, his new willingness to leave his line. Ok, it got him in trouble at Boston (H) and the playoff final but in my eyes it was at least positive to see him coming off his line. I've no doubt that the coaching staff have drummed this in to him and genuine competition has forced him to adapt his game. Great.

Darryl, however, is not great at coming for crosses and this will, most likely, never change. His flaws are based on three key areas:

1) His lack of height. It's banded around like a joke but if he was a foot taller, he'd be a MUCH better keeper and the latter two probably wouldn't be a problem.
2) Poor decision making. The key part about coming for balls or leaving your goal line in general is to make the correct decision. If you won't get the ball, you have to protect your goal line. Bentley one in the final was an example. Wilson one in the final was just poor handling but the correct decision. Kiely, mentioned earlier in this thread is usually fantastic in this area.
3) Lack of spring. If you're not tall enough but want to be dominant in the air, you need a good leap. Darryl's isn't bad but it certainly isn't great. Barthez, mentioned earlier, has a tremendous leap and this helps him greatly dealing with crosses.

All this stuff about people not having played the game and not creditable to exercise an opinion on the matter is ridiculous.

The way i saw it was that the week before the final all you heard about was the Lincoln threat in the air. Hence it looked like Flavs had been told by Tilly/ Lee Turner to play a totally unatural game and come for everything. Although we got away with it these were the wrong tactics as why change the method that had worked for us with this team for most of the season. Hopefully league 1 teams will not launch route 1 type balls and our very competent defence and shot stopper will cope well!

Not one player is worth braking the bank for, this is way I'm a bit worried about spending £100k plus on Holt.

Nicky is being extremely greedy. How can he say he deserves more than last season? You can count his good games on one hand. Northampton in the play-offs, Swindon in the LDV, Rushden at home in the League, Kiddy away in the League. In the play-off final, he bolted a lot of challenges, and looked a little lost at times, but his delievery was still good. He should count himself lucky that his being offered a contract at a newly promoted Club that he only played a handful of games for last season.

As for Che, he was one of the poorest paid players' in the squad, but has had a fantastic season and improved dramatically, in fact, I'm sure a couple of League Two Clubs would be tempted if he were to leave us. He does deserve an increase, but not too much as his only going to be a squad player next season.

As for Darryl. I'm assuming the contract his been offered is lower than what he was told he'd get in April otherwise he wouldn't be moaning. Yes this is harsh, but SUFC are trying to get him on as lower deal as possible, which is a good thing. Its the same for every player. I'd sure the likes of Barrett and Eastwood wouldn't be offered much more than what they were on.

The Darryl Vs Bart debate is very boring, we'll all have to agree to disagree. I but care too much who is in goal because I know both are more than capable. They both have strengths and weakness, who doesn't, but both other us something different between the sticks.

Have to admit with Nicky, I could't believe he'd played 17 games this season. I thought he'd been bit part at best. Still, as you say, the good games are less frequent. I thought he was very poor in the playoff final until extra time where he finally gained some much needed confidence to run at Lincoln. In fact, I was surprised he wasn't subbed but, fair play, he did well in ET.

I agree with wiggy re the final to an extent. You could see that he seemed keen not to let them have an easy time of it around the penalty box in the air. I feel it may have been the right tactics though. If you let them play their way in the air, they will punish you so you have to, as a keeper, challenge them when they get near the 6 yard box. I reckon it was probably the right tactics but almost cost us dear and I reckon that this was down to Darryl's decision making. If he'd come out more decisively, he'd have got a good fist on it (although, perversely, that could have resulted in a sure goal!).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ June 06 2005,18:53)]But we need to keep Darryl at all costs!
With the greatest respect, Tony, thank f*** you're not running this football club.

We do not need to keep any single player "at all costs". If you truly believe that, you're either Darryl's best mate, brainwashed, or very foolish indeed.

I'm a fan of Southend United. You appear to be a fan simply of Darryl Flahavan. You cannot be a fan of Southend United if you think it's worth bankrupting our club for any one player -because that can be the only meaning of "at all costs".

I hope Darryl stays. He has improved beyond all measure; and whoever is our #1 goalie next season, you need someone of Darryl's calibre at least as competition. If Darryl is good enough, he'll continue to keep the first team jersey.

But the package must be right for both player and club. If Darryl wants more than we can afford to pay him, then he must be let go - end of.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 06 2005,20:26)]Ok, let's try again to get this post back on track....NO PLAYER IS WORTH BREAKING THE BANK FOR!. Not Flavs, Freddy, Barrett.....nobody!

We have finally got out of that god forsken division, the reason we went down there in the first place was through financial mis-management and we don't want to make those mistakes all over again. So if Che and Nicky won't sign then big deal....it's a buyers market and there are more players than spaces in squads. We will get players at least as good for the wages we are offering and I suspect both of them know it which is why I think they'll both sign - but as I said, if they don't then big deal.

Those of us who say we won't keep Flavs at all costs are not knocking him. If we had Wayne bloody Rooney on the books I'd still only pay him what we could afford - that's called business kiddies, you may learn about it in school one day!
Thank you Ron. I thought I was losing my marbles for a minute.

suspect.gif
upside.gif

FFS, Unbelievable, Matt don't let him wind you up. Flavs has had a good year, but he is replaceable as is any member of our squad. Lets mix caution with ambition. But make sure the books are firmly balanced.

HORNCHURCH - Remember them? A club who started to spend big in the expectation of success on the field and with an eye on getting into the football league.

Unfortunately due to an unforseen cash flow crisis when the main sponsor went bust they'll be playing their football in the lower echelons of the pyramid rather than in the Conference.

People should think about their fate before they insist that we should attempt to hold onto players at any cost.
rock.gif

Its always easier to spend someone elses money...suggestion to Tony as your an admirer of Flavs skills....chip in the rest to make up the shortfall or band together with other like minded people to raise the funds I'm sure Flavs and his agent would be suitably grateful.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ June 06 2005,20:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yorkshire Bambi @ June 06 2005,19:57)]Except you can't possibly say that because you don't know how Bart would have played.
If he was just getting to form as he got injured then maybe he would have played even better then Flavsand not dropped the balls in the play off final and maybe we would have been promoted automatically.
Its all ifs and buts because we don't know what would have happened if he hadn't got injured.
I can't really make a comment as i haven't seen enough of Bart and one of the few which i imagine was his worst for the club (Luton) he was awful in.
So maybe Tonythe Kray and Wiggy should stop giving it all the 'your not proper football fans, you have know knowledge of football, you don't know what you are talking about' because the Bart lovers can say exactly the same back to you but aren't.
And for the record Flavs is nowhere near as good as Sammy and if he was as good as Royce surely a Prem team would be sniffing around or at least a championship league 1 team would have offered him a contract when he left the club a couple of years ago.
Roycey was a poor kicker!

Darryl is better!

The reason a Premier$hite club hasn't been in for him is Flav's' Height!  Not exactly the tallest is he.
No bigger clubs want to take the risk on him.  Their loss our gain.

THE CLIQUE IS BACK, LONG LIVE THE CLIQUE  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Sorry but there is a whole world of difference between Flavs and Royce and those who believe Darryl is a better keeper than Royce was in the 90's must surely have the rose-tinted's on!
rock.gif

I don't think Ron Martin is doing enough to keep hold Nicky Nicolau.

Let's face it, Nicolau's 1.5 decent performances over the whole season were instrumental in us gaining promotion and the lad deserves to be rewarded with a lucrative long term contract.

If Nicolau's wage demands are a problem maybe Mr Martin could trade in his car, remortgage his home or perhaps sell a vital organ or two on the international black market?

Or maybe the club should point out that if he doesn't like the offer he has been given, Canvey Island, Grays and Billericay are just down the road..........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ June 08 2005,08:40)]I don't think Ron Martin is doing enough to keep hold Nicky Nicolau.

Let's face it, Nicolau's 1.5 decent performances over the whole season where instrumental in us gaining promotion and the lad deserves to be rewarded with a lucrative long term contract.

If Nicolau's wage demands are a problem maybe Mr Martin could trade in his car, remortgage his home or perhaps sell a vital organ or two on the international black market?

Or maybe the club should point out that if he doesn't like the offer he has been given Canvey, Grays and Billericay are just down the road..........
You forgot Chelmsford City....

Back