• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron Statement 21.03.21

A STATEMENT from Southend United chairman Ron Martin.

At the last meeting of all supporter groups we had a positive exchange.

At the end the club suggested we could hold weekly or fortnightly zoom calls.
The invisible virus has meant fans are invisible too and this is one way to stay in touch, including when normality returns.
Engaging with the supporters is one privilege of my position and they have been desperately missed.
I know I get it in the neck when we lose but nobody should ever think it isn’t hurting me.

Not just me but all at the club, including the players who are a tight group.

When Mark arrived I wanted to change the culture and we have made great strides towards that.

It is not something we can do overnight but the work ethic has returned.

We have had to rebuild and that will continue.

Mark has been able to sign 17 new players, with two loanees returning.

That is a lot, too many in truth, to bed in.

We have seen improvement but there is a long way to go.

Of course we are all desperately concerned with the league position and all fighting to prevent that.

Sharing those thoughts and actions with fans is welcome.

The first step is to meet the supporter groups again, hopefully Thursday this week, to discuss the structure.

However we envisage an hourly zoom call.

Supporters as well as supporter group representatives would be on the call and be given the floor to ask a variety of questions about the club and receive answers directly without interpretation from others.

We’ll take the lead from the supporter groups whether meetings should be held weekly or fortnightly and the club's representatives will include not just me but the first team manager, the head of recruitment and academy manager together with back room personnel (finance and commercial), all on a rotational basis, so there is ongoing transparency.

I do not know of any other club that runs a forum as we are planning.

Everybody has become so accustomed to using Zoom that it should prove a useful way to communicate the facts.

I accept everybody is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts.

Social media often distorts the position so supporters understanding their from the mouths of those running their club should, I hope, help.

Maybe a better understanding may assist to dilute the blame culture, we are after all on the same side.

The real question I want to ask is something like "Whilst I appreciate that the team is now more solid defensively, will you now adopt a more attacking formation? Please??? We need to win five games - it doesn't matter if we lose the other five through over attacking."

Yet more waffle from Ron. A couple of points I particularly enjoyed.. "culture change", really? We've gone from a team that loses every week to a team that loses most weeks and is on course for a successive relegation. "We needed a rebuild".. yet "17 players is to much", you can't have it both ways Ron. Lastly, he's seen improvements.. in performances I'd agree, slightly but results are still as **** as they have been for the last couple of seasons. Other than that, I'm feeling more confident about life after the football league after that morale boosting statement.

If, and I mean a big IF this happens with the people Uncle Ron has said, i.e. Ron, first team manager, the head of recruitment, academy manager together with backroom personnel (finance and commercial) this could be great in helping very disgruntled supporters understand why we are where we are. IF, we are not given a load of bollocks each time with every question being answered truthfully however how hard then it may restore a tiny little of Ron's credibility. I cannot wait to read the outcome of Thursday. Hopefully, tough questions will be asked about team selection and tactics, our financial mess, and how Ronnie is going to get us out of it. What is the plan for National League? Be brutal with the questions supporters groups.

If, and I mean a big IF this happens with the people Uncle Ron has said, i.e. Ron, first team manager, the head of recruitment, academy manager together with backroom personnel (finance and commercial) this could be great in helping very disgruntled supporters understand why we are where we are. IF, we are not given a load of bollocks each time with every question being answered truthfully however how hard then it may restore a tiny little of Ron's credibility. I cannot wait to read the outcome of Thursday. Hopefully, tough questions will be asked about team selection and tactics, our financial mess, and how Ronnie is going to get us out of it. What is the plan for National League? Be brutal with the questions supporters groups.
Do us fans have short memories?

We signed too many players on too much money and did return the performance chasing the championship.

Ron gave each manager what he could afford which a better head cough CEO cough probably would have said go fish to the manager.

We had too many injuries under Chris Powell due to the strength and conditions, all with gutting the team of leaders which may or may not have been disrupted to the club.

Then the Bond and Sol disasters where the rest of the team got gutted along with the toxic atmosphere as well at a lack of money has left us screwed.

followed by a late appointment of inexperienced league manager under embargo with half a senior team with players wanting to leave and without a constant strike force with no fans to get behind the team to give them a confidence boost.

As you can see it started under Brown four/five years ago chasing the championship playing through the nose for players we on here we’re saying “good business” which have cost us.

This came out today to get back at The Trust for their statement yesterday and to prempt a supporters group making movements on social media. It contains nothing of substance whatsoever and we have heard all this before.
Agreed, it has nothing of any note in it at all. And that is no surprise. What would people expect him to say?
RM has been Captain of HMS SUFC and has got us truly lost at sea.
The best I can say about the statement is that it contains no false promises and hope of immediate respite.
We are where we are, and no dreaming of rescues are coming to save us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ron that really cleared things up and I feel much better now. I'm sure you must be happy with the situation with all the money you'll save only having to build one stand now and the savings on the squad. So the problem now is the squad is too big, who'd have thought?

@pottster, I haven't checked but I am fairly confident that we have a few players who are on squad lists and game on game don't get picked by either MM or us panel of experts to start games.

So yes, the squad is too large in numbers but short of quality.

Back