• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron Statement 21.03.21

Stay tuned for next weeks exciting episode when Mr Martin drops propaganda leaflets over South East Essex whilst hanging out of a helicopter spouting platitudes through a megaphone..

Well I guess he had to respond to yesterday's statement (which was fact) but when is he going to get a decent script writer as I for one was not impressed, just the usual same old, same old........sorry Mr Chairman but you are just not on our wavelength !

I do hope Mr Martin has a ‘sock puppet’ user profile on here & reads some of the posts?

He actually didnt say anything in that statement about the situation we are in. Hes got some style has Ron!

Lets face facts, Ron is nearly 70 it's unlikely that he will still be our chairman when we move into the new stadium if it happens. Relegation out of the league with planning permission would be a fitting time for him to hand the club over to someone else.

The big question is who is likely to replace him, will he keep it in the family or sell the club on to someone else?

Just how much will the club be worth and would he be likely to sell it to the fans?

Our predicament lies firmly at Ron's door, but unless it was a statement saying mark and co had gone and replaced with a DNA clone of Paul sturrock or he's handed the reins over to a local Southend United mad billionaire, nothing was going to cut it.

Rons real statement

" Both myself and Mark are delighted with our continuous drawing games we have to win. It may not help the club but it gives me a better chance of winning the pools.

I have backed MM and with 17 signings and he sees fit to keep playing Demi, despite him being as effective as Niles groin

However fans you will soon be rid of me, my ship is about to come in and you can all enjoy a main standless stadium that will suit our massive drop in attendance when we play in the Southern league.

Much love and cleaner bothering

Ronald x "

Sick of these vague nothingness statements. If Ron is trying to convey that he does actually care about the club, he fails with every statement. For me, his last sentence sounds weak and defeated. We don't need to 'dilute the blame culture', we need him to accept we are where we are due to utter mismanagement and erroneous decision making, and get his s*** together and make a plan to get us out of this mess, either in L2 or NL !

'I do not know of any other club that runs a forum as we are planning.' - that's because every other club has a competent chairman and they don't have the need for transparency and to be taken to task by the supporters ?

'I do not know of any other club that runs a forum as we are planning.' - that's because every other club has a competent chairman and they don't have the need for transparency and to be taken to task by the supporters ?

Exactly ! there should be no need for these. We should already know these details.

Yet more waffle from Ron. A couple of points I particularly enjoyed.. "culture change", really? We've gone from a team that loses every week to a team that loses most weeks and is on course for a successive relegation. "We needed a rebuild".. yet "17 players is to much", you can't have it both ways Ron. Lastly, he's seen improvements.. in performances I'd agree, slightly but results are still as **** as they have been for the last couple of seasons. Other than that, I'm feeling more confident about life after the football league after that morale boosting statement.

I'm no fan of Ron's as you'll have noticed from a lot of my posts, but actually I do see a culture change at the club. What you're referring to is the results. That isn't anything to do with culture. What I see now is a team that works hard and tries its hardest, but just isn't good enough.

Previously we were a team that didn't seem to care, and was happy to blame anything and everyone, and generally feel sorry for themselves. That isn't the case anymore. Now, the team actually takes responsibility.

However, none of that has anything to do with Ron. The only thing Ron did was hire a manager. MM has done all of that. For the time being it hasn't resulted in better results (or at least not much better) but I do see a culture change at the club. I'm also sure a lot more has been done off the pitch and away from our eyes.

As for the rest of the statement...I can't be arsed anymore. Suffice it to say, if you go over previous statements and compare them, they make a telling story...

• Under Sol we were bringing in players in Jan. We didn't because Ron changed his mind
  • With MM we were waiting until Jan because there'd be loads of players in need since Covid had left a load on the shelf
  • We were told that we were working on a large squad so we could rotate when we were playing 2 matches a week for 3-4 weeks. That would see us in better shape than teams with less players. That worked well, didn't it?
The one thing he seems to have forgotten in all of this is that his poor running of the club over the last 10-odd years has left our reputation on the floor. MM simply can't get in the players he wants because no player will come here unless they have no other options. Given a similar contract, a player will always choose to go elsewhere.

The blame for the whole mess lies squarely with Ron. The only thing he's done well recently is hire a good manager. What he hasn't done is give him the tools to do the job properly.

Last edited:
Does a change in culture include at the senior management/board/executive level? Isn't the culture set at the top and cascades down?

Why do all Ron’s statements give the impression that he has had a few gin and tonics before he writes them and that the audience for them are just a bunch of people who he thinks are nuisances having the cheek to question any of his actions or lack of them?

Back