• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ronnie O'Suillivan

Bradman's average wasn't for the lack of trying. As Steveo says, O'Sullivan showed a lack of respect to fans IMO.

I think you are missing the point though. You seem to be basing your argument on him depriving fans of a 147. What I am saying (and YB) is that to have witnessed O'Sullivan getting 140 and not bothering with the final black is going to be far more of a memory for those watching (and indeed us reading about it) than if he had just knocked in the 147 without fuss.

Either way, by his actions he has got people talking about snooker and made the game memorable for those watching which is surely good for a dying sport......

I think you are missing the point though. You seem to be basing your argument on him depriving fans of a 147. What I am saying (and YB) is that to have witnessed O'Sullivan getting 140 and not bothering with the final black is going to be far more of a memory for those watching (and indeed us reading about it) than if he had just knocked in the 147 without fuss.
I'm not missing the point, I'm saying that for me I would have wanted to see the 147 and not a 140 with the black left. Yes it might be more memorable than other 147s he's made, but I guess for many fans there that day they'd never seen a 147 live... and my feeling is that they would have felt a little ****ed off too if he'd left the black.

For other fans around the world, yes it's been an interesting story and makes the 147 much more memorable.

Either way, by his actions he has got people talking about snooker and made the game memorable for those watching which is surely good for a dying sport......

agreed

I'm not missing the point, I'm saying that for me I would have wanted to see the 147 and not a 140 with the black left. Yes it might be more memorable than other 147s he's made, but I guess for many fans there that day they'd never seen a 147 live... and my feeling is that they would have felt a little ****ed off too if he'd left the black.

For other fans around the world, yes it's been an interesting story and makes the 147 much more memorable.

agreed

I think the fans who'd have a right to feel shortchanged are the ones who get to see Ronnie when his head isn't screwed on right and he doesn't win 3-0.

Ronnie's responsibility is to play the match to the best of his ability. He'd done that and had already won the frame and the match and in doing so had probably provided more entertainment than any other player in the tournament.

Far too big a thing is being made of this. It's not even as if Ronnie needed that much persuasion from the ref to play the black. I can't imagine that the ref said much more than "play it Ronnie". Ronnie didn't argue and just potted it.

Back