• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Roots Hall during WW2

Eastern National. Southend Corporation was in London Road, roughly between Odeon and Sainsbury's. You must remember.
Sorry to be a pedant but it was Eastern National in London Road

Actually did they share it ??? I found a site suggesting SC also London Road

Attachments

• IMG_2066.jpeg
    IMG_2066.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
That’s a really interesting photo.
I assume some groundworks has taken place by the point it was taken As you can clearly see a football pitch sized piece of flat land.

Reactions: TJC
Sorry to be a pedant but it was Eastern National in London Road

Actually did they share it ??? I found a site suggesting SC also London Road

There were depots for both along that stretch. The Corporation one was where Currys and that pet store is now. You are correct about the EN one.

That’s a really interesting photo.
I assume some groundworks has taken place by the point it was taken As you can clearly see a football pitch sized piece of flat land.
It was originally a football pitch but during WW1 it was turned into an allotment for the war effort and was deemed unusable as a football pitch after. It wasn't until 1955 that SUFC returned there.

Very good read on the history of the club here.

@DoDTS and Dave Goody's books are also excellent reading on us.

Last edited:
There were depots for both along that stretch. The Corporation one was where Currys and that pet store is now. You are correct about the EN one.
Cheers. I remember my dear old Nan taking me to the Eastern National one for outings in the late 60s, early 70s. We would sometimes go to Clacton as she had a caravan in St Osyth. I suspect we changed somewhere along the way, Chelmsford or Colchester or maybe even both. Either way it took ages. We’d stay for 2-3 days then my parents would pick us up. I seem to remember there was a cafe in the garage too for a treat before the bus but my mind could be playing tricks.

Cheers. I remember my dear old Nan taking me to the Eastern National one for outings in the late 60s, early 70s. We would sometimes go to Clacton as she had a caravan in St Osyth. I suspect we changed somewhere along the way, Chelmsford or Colchester or maybe even both. Either way it took ages. We’d stay for 2-3 days then my parents would pick us up. I seem to remember there was a cafe in the garage too for a treat before the bus but my mind could be playing tricks.
The cafe did not come until the 70's when they also introduced a walk through to the high street. It was a busy road back then with Perrings the furniture shop and Lipscome/EN travel which was next door to the EN bus station. There was also a market there where Kenbro carpets started before the council bought the site and gave them their building in Sutton road in exchange to get them to move site

Cripes! It took three or more hours to get to Frinton by car in the 1960s, going through every town and village on the way, so going by bus to Clacton must have taken about 24 hours!

Cripes! It took three or more hours to get to Frinton by car in the 1960s, going through every town and village on the way, so going by bus to Clacton must have taken about 24 hours!
There was a regular service to clacton back in the day was kept busy in the summer weekends people going to butlins & jaywick not many had transport back then so a long bus ride was part of the holiday ,

Back