• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Roots Hall during WW2

There was a regular service to clacton back in the day was kept busy in the summer weekends people going to butlins & jaywick not many had transport back then so a long bus ride was part of the holiday ,
Thanks, I’ll ask my parents next time we speak. We must have gone directly then. That weblink I found earlier is fascinating (or maybe I need a life 😀).

I've always wondered why the houses are missing on Shakespeare Drive where the west stand entrance is. Nothing to do with the ground as they're missing in that photo, too!

Handy for the lay out of the ground though.

Cheers. I remember my dear old Nan taking me to the Eastern National one for outings in the late 60s, early 70s. We would sometimes go to Clacton as she had a caravan in St Osyth. I suspect we changed somewhere along the way, Chelmsford or Colchester or maybe even both. Either way it took ages. We’d stay for 2-3 days then my parents would pick us up. I seem to remember there was a cafe in the garage too for a treat before the bus but my mind could be playing tricks.
Eastern National didn't exist until nationalisation, at the end of the 40s. The building beyond the buses is what later became the EN Prittlewell depot, so my guess is that those buses are part of the fleet of Westcliff Motor Services, the red-livery buses that served out-of-town destinations before they were swallowed up (and painted green) around 1951.

Does anyone know why they chose different roof designs?

Im rather fond of the aircraft hanger rounded tops. Am surprised they didnt do them all like the east tho.

Does anyone know why they chose different roof designs?

Im rather fond of the aircraft hanger rounded tops. Am surprised they didnt do them all like the east tho.

At a guess the steel used would be far less for the round top compared to the East. The East roof line needed to be higher as the directors seats are higher than if it was just terracing.

My Nan lived in one of the terraced ones ( near The Blue Boar ), with her parents & family between 1900-1920!.
My Dad’s parents lived in Shakespeare Drive and their bathroom afforded me a view of the North Bank goal and 18 yard box. My Dad, brother, and Uncle would go to games whilst I watched for the bathroom window. Imagine my disappointment then, on many occasions, when I thought we’d won only to be told of the opposition’s goals at the other end!

I did start going myself when I was 7 so it didn’t scar my formative years of supporting the Blues too much. Of course the following 54 years haven’t helped much.

My Dad’s parents lived in Shakespeare Drive and their bathroom afforded me a view of the North Bank goal and 18 yard box. My Dad, brother, and Uncle would go to games whilst I watched for the bathroom window. Imagine my disappointment then, on many occasions, when I thought we’d won only to be told of the opposition’s goals at the other end!

I did start going myself when I was 7 so it didn’t scar my formative years of supporting the Blues too much. Of course the following 54 years haven’t helped much.
My nan was born and lived at no.5 Victoria Ave from 1898 until 1920, when she married my Grandad and moved to Leigh.

Sorry to be a pedant but it was Eastern National in London Road

Actually did they share it ??? I found a site suggesting SC also London Road

This is a photo of the Eastern National Garage as it was back in the day.I should know I used to be a clippie for them in 1970/71.

Back