• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Big Shrimp

Zone Photographer
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the pitch at RH is probably in the worst condition that I can remember in a long time.

I'm presuming that its like it is because of TefRons cost cutting exercise, but it could come back to haunt us, if we miss out on promotion/play offs. On at least three occasions on Tuesday Sawyer tried to run with the ball & it seemed to get stuck under his feet, because the ball would run properly. Also, Asante had a similar experience when running towards the goal.

I should point out that I am only talking about the area near the East Blacks & towards the halfway line. It looks particularly bad in the area directly outside the corner of the penalty area.

What I would like to know is why this is & is it like it in other parts of the pitch?

I doubt it's down to cost cutting - it'll be down to having the worst winter in a hundred years.

Now I don't like Ron much, but we can't really blame a few bobbles on a pitch on him can we?
Nice effort though!

Thats why I've asked the question. The area I'm referring to is more than a few bobbles. It looks awful. It looks like it could be a drainage problem, as we used to have the camber on the pitch until the season before last.

Yes we've had a bad winter, but other pitches nearby are better than our including Borient!

I never noticed the camber was gone? The pitch drainage is built on finest Leigh-on-sea cockles.

our pitch is still better than most league two teams and alot in league one at the moment, it has gained a few bobbles of late tho.

This is the first season in about four years the pitch hasn't been relaid during pre season.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the pitch at RH is probably in the worst condition that I can remember in a long time.

I'm presuming that its like it is because of TefRons cost cutting exercise, but it could come back to haunt us, if we miss out on promotion/play offs. On at least three occasions on Tuesday Sawyer tried to run with the ball & it seemed to get stuck under his feet, because the ball would run properly. Also, Asante had a similar experience when running towards the goal.

I should point out that I am only talking about the area near the East Blacks & towards the halfway line. It looks particularly bad in the area directly outside the corner of the penalty area. What I would like to know is why this is & is it like it in other parts of the pitch?

That'd be where Ron parks his Bentley.

Seriously, there's another slightly sanded bit in the south west corner.

But during that horrendous December, we did'nt play on it for about 5 weeks.

It's not just playing on it which damages it though. I'd have thought that all that snow would have made the ground sodden, then frozen, then sodden then frozen again. Its got to have a lasting effect whether or not there's a couple of games of football per month.

The whole thing probably needs to be re-laid but obviously that won't be happening any time soon.

Thats why I've asked the question. The area I'm referring to is more than a few bobbles. It looks awful. It looks like it could be a drainage problem, as we used to have the camber on the pitch until the season before last.

Yes we've had a bad winter, but other pitches nearby are better than our including Borient!

Really? I watched them cheekily earn a draw against The Arse and thought the pitch was useless.
Ours isn't usually that bad. Just the amount of games that have been played etc.

Weird discussion. There are many things you can criticise at SUFC but surely the pitch isn't one of them. Our ground staff do an amazing job and our pitch is lightyears ahead of brisbane road, the airfix stadium etc etc.

At the start of the season, us old gardners up in the West agreed that the pitch was not looking a good as it usually did and put it down to a lack of fertilizer during the summer. I am not sure if the pitch at Roots Hall is ever 'relaid', rather the usual airating, topdressing, overseeding, fertilizing and bloody good general maintenance.

One thing I have notice that in recent years the warm ups have changed from general trotting round the pitch and kicking a few balls about, to include sessions of concentrated effort by the whole team and in a quite confined area. these seem to take place in the same area of the pitch every match and this surely has an effect on the pitch in that area, especially during the winter. The Goal keepers do a pretty vigorous work out just to one side of the goal (South East) and that seems to have effected that area as well.

I think it looks worse than in previous seasons. Its not awful for the time of year, but it was definitely better this time last year. I wouldn't mind betting that cost cutting comes into it somewhere.

Would have thought it would be really lush by now because it had plenty of, ahem, manure put on it early in the season, courtesy of our players. :smiles:

But, seriously, I think a lot of it is down to the weather. My lawn has hardly grown since November which is very different to the last few years when I've had to cut it a couple of times through the winter and it is looking a bit sorry for itself and my lawn hasn't had 23 people running all over it for 90+ minutes five or six times a month for the last couple of months. I have no doubt that the hard and wet weather together with a lot of rearranged fixtures being shoe-horned in hasn't helped and it isn't looking as good as previous years, however, before we criticise, it is nowhere near as bad as the infamous sandpit at Col U was.

I should point out that I am only talking about the area near the East Blacks & towards the halfway line. It looks particularly bad in the area directly outside the corner of the penalty area.

What I would like to know is why this is & is it like it in other parts of the pitch?

Not sure you can blame it on Ron coz the Winter has been pretty bad. I blame the Seagull actually!

Im not sure the 2 "lads" who go around at HT do much to it either bar looking like they've just come from the sunshine bus.

Back