• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Roots Hall racism problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
remember along time ago at Col******r we had a coloured striker called Richard Young and he missed an absolute sitter in front of us which was greeting by a huge monkey chants from a majority of our fans there

They were probably the same people cheering when Richard cadette was banging in the goals the previous season.

Richard Cadette did a lot to get rid of racism at Roots Hall he was the first black player we had and was one of the best players we have ever had. Before that there was quite a bit of racist shouts coming out of the North bank. I can still remember a young black Southendfan shouting out 'you black b*****d' at an opposing black player!

I is amazing how getting a decent black player can shut up all those racists.

The only time I can think of it is last year, an't remember who it was against but they were a couple of Scousers who said "Why's he called Gray if he's black?" As there weren't many stewards about I decided to let it lie, but God I could've clouted him. The worst thing was that it was in the Family Enclosure.

Me and two friends of mine were called 'white scum' by a group of 5 asian men last season away to kidderminster last season, this wasnt in the ground but at the nearby shops so dont know if they were football fans. we told the police who were across the road but they didnt even listen to us.

A guy behind us at Doncaster racialy abused a donny player after the game. People told him to shut up!

I must admit, after trawling through these pages it has come to light that a lot of politically correct fools on here are beginning to see everything is not so rosie as it seems..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Nov. 08 2005,18:24)]I must admit, after trawling through these pages it has come to light that a lot of politically correct fools on here are beginning to see everything is not so rosie as it seems..
The Imperial Dragon returns!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Nov. 08 2005,18:24)]I must admit, after trawling through these pages it has come to light that a lot of politically correct fools on here are beginning to see everything is not so rosie as it seems..
Or maybe they are just recognising that whilst we have come a very long way in a short space of time racism hasn't been entirely eradicated. They may therefore be acknowledging that we shouldn't be complacent and that if all the decent, normal fans who can't understand or stomach racism stick together and highlight the few isolated incidents then we can make sure the few remaining racist scum are banned for life.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 08 2005,16:24)]I heard an article on 5 live the other week about following the kick racism out campaign the FA were considering an anti homophobic campaign.
A couple of weeks ago CD Jávea played Pinoso at home and one of their players continually collapsed dramatically to the ground in absolute agony whenever one of our boys came within a few feet of him. It became so frustrating that the home crowd decided that the player must be a bit of a "maricón" ("poof" although the literal translation is 'butterfly') and told him so. Many times. But I doubt the Valencian FA will start a campaign to stamp out such observations ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Nov. 08 2005,19:20)]
[b said:
Or maybe they are just recognising that whilst we have come a very long way in a short space of time racism hasn't been entirely eradicated. They may therefore be acknowledging that we shouldn't be complacent and that if all the decent, normal fans who can't understand or stomach racism stick together and highlight the few isolated incidents then we can make sure the few remaining racist scum are banned for life.
isolated?
i dont think so..
people are beginning to realise there is a major problem!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Nov. 08 2005,19:56)]
[b said:
[b said:
isolated?
i dont think so..
Problems with what? Racism or other races?

well, I am currently only able to get to one game a season, and I have to say that a large proportion of the game is taken up with racist chanting.

if you're all serious about kicking racism out of the Hall, can I expect to hear from Swans fans after saturday about the non racist abuse during the game?

Just because they're (predominantly) white, doesnt mean it's not racism.

Oh, and yes, I do realise the difference between abuse and banter. I'm not being wholly serious
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Nov. 08 2005,19:56)]
[b said:
[b said:
isolated?
i dont think so..
So come on then, tell me - what do you gain by talking up a racism problem that doesn't exist?

Do you think that by manufacturing this problem it will happen? Is that what you want?

The fact is that the majority of people in this country abhor racism. There is also a fact that the last couple of decades this country has gone from widespread monkey chanting and banana throwing at grounds up and down the country to the point where you can go to a season's worth of games and maybe see one or two occasions of racism...even then it will come from just one person or a handful of people at most and not en masse from a whole terrace. That is progress that is amazing however personally it is my opinion that any racism at games is too much, especially at my beloved Southend United.

I do not consider myself a politically correct fool, I hate much of the PC rubbish that I believe is in danger of strangling this country. However I have worked with, gone to school with and been friends with many people of different races. I have found that there are interesting people, nice people, annoying people and downright arseholes of all creeds and colours. I have also been thrilled and excited watching the likes of Stan Collymore, Chris Powell and Richard Cadette play for Southend. As a result I hate racism and I have no time for people who abuse a player or official simply because of his race - that does not make me a PC fool but simply someone who stands up and will continue to stand up for what I believe is right.

I also know that there are far more of me at Roots Hall every week than there are racist scum....we will win and they will lose, and that's a fact.

All those going on Saturday give those Welsh visitors plenty of stick. Create an atomsphere!because I'm sure we'll get a warm reception on the 29th April.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BEDFORD BLUE @ Nov. 08 2005,20:48)]All those going on Saturday give those Welsh visitors plenty of stick. Create an atomsphere!because I'm sure we'll get a warm reception on the 29th April.
Hopefully not a racist one

I remember being at Rushden for an away game a couple of years back (I think it was the 1-0 Damon Searle match).  I was appalled at some of the remarks shouted from behind me that were directed towards the ref who was black.  telling him he should stick to long distance running aswell as a couple of banana references.  It made me feel sick, mainly because I didn't feel able to challenge it (he was much bigger than me and had had a few to drink)

I am glad to say that it is an isolated incident and in general all fellow shrimpers i have come across have been great.

I do think we all have a responsibility to ensure that Racism is eradicated from football, and indeed society in general.  It may be the case that it is less a problem for us than other clubs, or you may think it isn't a problem at all, but to ignore it or to ignore the potential for it to exist even if you haven't come across it directly yourself is simply not helpful.

Racism is a problem in the UK, it is a problem in Southend, and it is therefor foolish to say that it is not going to be a problem in our club.  Everyone has their own prejudices, attitudes and beliefs and while we might not be able to do too much to change those, we can at least make people think about them before mouthing off or acting upon them.

Racism in football is not just about what you hear on the terraces or tension seen between individuals, it is about any form of barrier from the game that people encounter or perceive in either playing or spectating.

Even if we do not see or experience any direct acts of racism, we still need to champion the great work done by Kick It Out, by the club and by our fans.

Ultimately there is a lot to gain in tapping in to talent that could be undiscovered in minority ethnic communities.  We have very few asian fans, but the town doesn't have a huge asian population (when compared to other areas).  I can only think of one asian player in the league (singh who was at Bury a few years back - there may be more now), there must be others we can encourage to get involved and it would benefit our club, and the national team and football in general.

Lets keep the good work going.

At a Brighton away game a few years ago the home fans were waiting for us outside the Withdean and a stand-off occurred, us chanting "does your boy-friend know you are here" and them replying "what's it like to shag a girl?"

All good humoured fun , but if the police hadn't been between us it might have been different.

The only way to stop naughty talk is to ban all chants and comments , but who wants to watch football in an atmosphere like a morgue ? (Is that comment death-ist?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Nov. 08 2005,20:56)]but who wants to watch football in an atmosphere like a morgue ? (Is that comment death-ist?)
Yes, and the message at the bottom of your posts are 'Skoda-ist' and I demand that you be given a yellow card immediately!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back