• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone else think the bigger pitch helped a lot with our formation and style of play? Tomlin and Martin had so much more room than at Roots Hall and enabled us to stretch them. We scared their defence to death with the pace going forward from Assambalonga and the 2 wide men.

A very valid point I think.

Sorry this post is too long, didn't even bother to read it!

Actually, I did - and it was a good read, even if it could have done with a few paragraphs.
Are we becoming a Tweeted nation where any writing has to be 140 characters before attention span gives out?

Anyone else think the bigger pitch helped a lot with our formation and style of play? Tomlin and Martin had so much more room than at Roots Hall and enabled us to stretch them. We scared their defence to death with the pace going forward from Assambalonga and the 2 wide men.

Sorry Westy Not true. According to the football grounds guide the pitch at Rotherham is 110x72 yards. Roots Hall is 110x74 yards.
Being further away from the pitch gives it a more spacious impression.

I have to say that for fans to be saying we like a wide pitch must mean we are playing the football we have been crying out for last season.

More wing play and less direct football makes us all happy.

Sorry Westy Not true. According to the football grounds guide the pitch at Rotherham is 110x72 yards. Roots Hall is 110x74 yards.
Being further away from the pitch gives it a more spacious impression.

Im surprised by that. Have to admit i sit in the East stand at the Hall but as you say it looked a lot more spacious where we were sitting and it felt we had so much more time on the ball out wide. Must of been that Rotherham played very narrow.

Kids! Eldest nearly made us miss our train looking for her Uggs and much later remembered her sister is wearing them to get to her ballet lesson. She had prawn toast and pineapple for breakfast, pitta bread on the first train then a cheesecake at St Pancras. Her b/f has come with us for his first away day and had 3 boxes of sushi then dipped wine gums in the soy sauce whilst listening to hip hop in one ear and sharing headphones with eldest to listen to Adele in the other ear. Kids! I had to phone his parents and explain that there is an EDL demo in Rotherham but that we'd hold back in Sheffield till just before kick off to keep away from it. 'I'm taking your son to stand side by side with UAF comrades for pre-match street reclaiming and scuffles' would obviously be the preferred option but I gotta be responsible.
Sheffield has way cool buildings all round the train station starting with the long metal water sculpture, the building with vultures wall art done out in brick and the thing that looks like loads of badly stacked cardboard boxes, but in metal. We went into the Millennium Gallery and saw a 3 headed monster made out of spoons, and crocheted coral reef and a (never heard of him) Paul Morrison exhibit. He does a nice line in regal looking characters with a twist such as an anchor tattoo - drawings mainly but best was as a large gold sculpture. Also did some Barbara Riley style monochrome drawings but with flowers in the middle to break up the fuzzy eye. Local train to Rotherham (one on the way back looked like a bus, proper small town style) and as we got off a load of EDL protesters were getting on - genuinely made my flesh crawl, nasty little ***** and every one of them had the aura of being people that were so low they would look for something to hate because that's all they can identify with. Miserable dirty looking *******s the lot of them. I heard a local saying that the police kept them apart from UAF so they started fighting amongst themselves - the Yorkshire EDL against other factions. At the ground cheerleaders danced to Sham 69 who in the late 70's were adopted by NF skins (much to the disappointment of the band), which seemed a little odd today considering.
Train Shrimper Norman was well miffed that they'd run out of programmes which does seem like very bad organisation. The players come out to 'New York, New York' in their new New York stadium - Green Day(?) version before Frank's one. The ground has a cool stepped look along the roof at either end and just two floodlights that weren't used today but must be the height of scientific endeavour to shine more than four normal ones. 12,000 capacity but as the whole ground is on one tier it gives the impression of looking quite small. Chants of 'you're a town full of racists' made light of the other event in the town and chants of 'UAF' were a pleasing surprise and these carried on even when less enlightened members of the crowd turn up late (made me wonder why, hopefully just traffic issues). Rotherham are crap but still manage to create the first real chance 12 minutes in with a well struck shot just wide of the post. 5 minutes later and Cresswell has a shot tipped over. Their number 15 (soz, no programme, no names) was king of lack of composure but after dispossessing him Staker 'cleared' the ball right across our goalmouth. Within the next 10 minutes he had done that twice more, the second time putting the ball out for a throw on the opposite side to where he was playing, which was better than the clearance straight to one of their forwards. Tomlin was noticeably standing up to challenges but just as he dips by failing to get passed his man twice Straker picks up with a well read ball down the wing. We are forcing corners but putting in crosses that are too high. The midfield are not creating defensive pressure like they have recently and the defence are looking strong (except the cross the goal clearances) and the first half looks every bit the 0 - 0 that it is. In fact the best thing about the first half is the rainbow that shines over the end opposite us - and it didn't even rain.
Second half is like a different match. 10 minutes in and Brit starts us off with an unstoppable header. And the mood in the team changes and everyone can sense a big win. Martin gets past 3 players before failing to get passed the fourth, but that seems to trigger self belief. Seconds later he puts in a great ball winning tackle that signifies his intent. The whole team are now focussing all efforts on attacking play. On 24 minutes great build up play - ball winning from Martin, cross from Clo, but when it reaches Brit he is too tight for space with two defenders on him but he calmly pulls it back and rifles it into the roof - glorious. Minutes later Hurst is clean through but chooses to try to tee Brit up for his hattrick but that and a whipped in Martin cross minutes later are both just out of reach. Tomlin is also creating lots in the 2nd half and 30 minutes in he turns his marker and puts in a sweet cross to Brit who's looping header comes back off the crossbar for Dave Martin to usher into the net for a deserved goal. Timlin after each goal runs over to Tomlin's family in the front row to dedicate the goal to them. Tomlin has a great effort just skid wide of the goal before Brit tries from outside the area after a one-two with Martin. The loanee comes on for the last 5 minutes (no Fred? I suspect a 'we pay if you play him' deal with Peterborough) but is barged away from a cross as soon as he is on and generally looks a bit rabbit caught in the headlights. Three goals and a very convincing win in the end with Timlin again coming over to express just how much he loves being at the club but even he didn't look as ecstatic as Cresswell who after going off with cramp came back on to celebrate as if we'd won the league. Hopefully that is good practice for when we do - you never know.

Personally like the personal touch. If people dont want to read it dont but for me its nice to read something other than just match reports. Lets face it - its the day out that makes SUFC special.

I like Another Surrey Shrimper's rambles about everything and nothing. They would be much easier to read if they were split into more paragraphs though.

Think its more the style of play that suits the likes of Martin away from home rather than any differences in pitch size. All his best performances have been away from home.

Paragraphs - I'll work on that. What people take away from a football match is different and I guess they express that differently too. I look to certain posters for knowledge and others for insider gossip - for me I just need to justify being out of the house for 10 hours to watch a 90 minute match, so if I record bits of the 10 hours I feel less guilt.
On a more useful angle - the pitch may have looked bigger because the stands were all at one low level - contrast that to Bradford which stretches off into the heavens and makes the ground seem really closed in - prob just an optical illusion and not mush difference in the pitch size.

A great second half, almost as if the players knew to wait until all the fans had arrived before turning on the style. Thankfully we left home early and got past the trouble spot well before it happened. We really did look a good team in that second half, breaking with pace and power, plenty of width and made Rotherham look really static and pedestrian.

Smith 7 - Did what he had to comfortably, rarely troubled.
Clohessy 7.5 - Back to his best, defended well and broke well down the right
Cresswell 7.5 - Coped with the day well, made their defenders look ordinary, hope was just cramp at the end
Barker 8 - Also back to his best, marshalled the troops, best game at centre half this season
Straker 7 - Much improved, got better as game went on, distribution down the channels hit with right pace
Leonard 7 - Also had best game of season, got involved, played it simple and good throw ins
Hurst 7.5 - Making himself a regular, good energy and delivery, can play all addross the midfield
Timlin 8 - He enjoys himself at Rotherham, stand out in midfield
Martin 7.5 - Much better second half, involved in all that was good, followed in well for goal
Tomlin 7 - Worked hard, sometimes tries to beat too many and loses his composure when in on goal by scuffing his shot or standing on the ball
Assombolonga 9 - MOTM, awesome, quality finishing, pace and power, deserved a hat trick

Coughlan 6 - Only on for 10 mins, got skinned once, but useful experience to bring on
Clarke-Harris 5.5 - Got 5 mins and had an air of not wanting to do the League 2 hard work but expect the ball on a plate, hope i'm wrong

Overall another great away day, demonstrating again why I prefer away matches, get away from the sometimes mindless non productive chanting of the minority at Roots Hall. Britt Assombolonga dance routine after his second goal will live in the memory along with Ryan Cresswell fist pumping after the game respectfully long after the Rotherham fans had gone.

Paragraphs - I'll work on that. What people take away from a football match is different and I guess they express that differently too. I look to certain posters for knowledge and others for insider gossip - for me I just need to justify being out of the house for 10 hours to watch a 90 minute match, so if I record bits of the 10 hours I feel less guilt.
On a more useful angle - the pitch may have looked bigger because the stands were all at one low level - contrast that to Bradford which stretches off into the heavens and makes the ground seem really closed in - prob just an optical illusion and not mush difference in the pitch size.

I think you do use paragraphs, but then forget the extra line spacing which makes it all run together! I, too, enjoy your "ramblings", and to be honest, that's sometimes a lot better than the match on offer!

Has anyone else noticed that Clohessy never seems to join in with any goal celebrations? Even when he is the provider.

Kids! Eldest nearly made us miss our train looking for her Uggs and much later remembered her sister is wearing them to get to her ballet lesson. She had prawn toast and pineapple for breakfast, pitta bread on the first train then a cheesecake at St Pancras. Her b/f has come with us for his first away day and had 3 boxes of sushi then dipped wine gums in the soy sauce whilst listening to hip hop in one ear and sharing headphones with eldest to listen to Adele in the other ear. Kids! I had to phone his parents and explain that there is an EDL demo in Rotherham but that we'd hold back in Sheffield till just before kick off to keep away from it. 'I'm taking your son to stand side by side with UAF comrades for pre-match street reclaiming and scuffles' would obviously be the preferred option but I gotta be responsible.
Sheffield has way cool buildings all round the train station starting with the long metal water sculpture, the building with vultures wall art done out in brick and the thing that looks like loads of badly stacked cardboard boxes, but in metal. We went into the Millennium Gallery and saw a 3 headed monster made out of spoons, and crocheted coral reef and a (never heard of him) Paul Morrison exhibit. He does a nice line in regal looking characters with a twist such as an anchor tattoo - drawings mainly but best was as a large gold sculpture. Also did some Barbara Riley style monochrome drawings but with flowers in the middle to break up the fuzzy eye. Local train to Rotherham (one on the way back looked like a bus, proper small town style) and as we got off a load of EDL protesters were getting on - genuinely made my flesh crawl, nasty little ***** and every one of them had the aura of being people that were so low they would look for something to hate because that's all they can identify with. Miserable dirty looking *******s the lot of them. I heard a local saying that the police kept them apart from UAF so they started fighting amongst themselves - the Yorkshire EDL against other factions. At the ground cheerleaders danced to Sham 69 who in the late 70's were adopted by NF skins (much to the disappointment of the band), which seemed a little odd today considering.
Train Shrimper Norman was well miffed that they'd run out of programmes which does seem like very bad organisation. The players come out to 'New York, New York' in their new New York stadium - Green Day(?) version before Frank's one. The ground has a cool stepped look along the roof at either end and just two floodlights that weren't used today but must be the height of scientific endeavour to shine more than four normal ones. 12,000 capacity but as the whole ground is on one tier it gives the impression of looking quite small. Chants of 'you're a town full of racists' made light of the other event in the town and chants of 'UAF' were a pleasing surprise and these carried on even when less enlightened members of the crowd turn up late (made me wonder why, hopefully just traffic issues). Rotherham are crap but still manage to create the first real chance 12 minutes in with a well struck shot just wide of the post. 5 minutes later and Cresswell has a shot tipped over. Their number 15 (soz, no programme, no names) was king of lack of composure but after dispossessing him Staker 'cleared' the ball right across our goalmouth. Within the next 10 minutes he had done that twice more, the second time putting the ball out for a throw on the opposite side to where he was playing, which was better than the clearance straight to one of their forwards. Tomlin was noticeably standing up to challenges but just as he dips by failing to get passed his man twice Straker picks up with a well read ball down the wing. We are forcing corners but putting in crosses that are too high. The midfield are not creating defensive pressure like they have recently and the defence are looking strong (except the cross the goal clearances) and the first half looks every bit the 0 - 0 that it is. In fact the best thing about the first half is the rainbow that shines over the end opposite us - and it didn't even rain.
Second half is like a different match. 10 minutes in and Brit starts us off with an unstoppable header. And the mood in the team changes and everyone can sense a big win. Martin gets past 3 players before failing to get passed the fourth, but that seems to trigger self belief. Seconds later he puts in a great ball winning tackle that signifies his intent. The whole team are now focussing all efforts on attacking play. On 24 minutes great build up play - ball winning from Martin, cross from Clo, but when it reaches Brit he is too tight for space with two defenders on him but he calmly pulls it back and rifles it into the roof - glorious. Minutes later Hurst is clean through but chooses to try to tee Brit up for his hattrick but that and a whipped in Martin cross minutes later are both just out of reach. Tomlin is also creating lots in the 2nd half and 30 minutes in he turns his marker and puts in a sweet cross to Brit who's looping header comes back off the crossbar for Dave Martin to usher into the net for a deserved goal. Timlin after each goal runs over to Tomlin's family in the front row to dedicate the goal to them. Tomlin has a great effort just skid wide of the goal before Brit tries from outside the area after a one-two with Martin. The loanee comes on for the last 5 minutes (no Fred? I suspect a 'we pay if you play him' deal with Peterborough) but is barged away from a cross as soon as he is on and generally looks a bit rabbit caught in the headlights. Three goals and a very convincing win in the end with Timlin again coming over to express just how much he loves being at the club but even he didn't look as ecstatic as Cresswell who after going off with cramp came back on to celebrate as if we'd won the league. Hopefully that is good practice for when we do - you never know.

what a great report !

Saw Ronny Martini making a quick exit from the carpark in the back of his chauffeured limo after the game, a fan was talking to him through his window.

The petrol consumption alone must have cost £200 to get there and back. Presume that is paid for by the club?. If that is the case, then the non playing staff at the club, whose wages are allegedly paid into their accounts late, must be overjoyed when hearing of this?.
Good of Ron to make the trip, but surely he could find a cheaper way of travelling there?. If anyone suggests that he pays for the fuel from his own pocket, then ignore this post!.

The petrol consumption alone must have cost £200 to get there and back. Presume that is paid for by the club?. If that is the case, then the non playing staff at the club, whose wages are allegedly paid into their accounts late, must be overjoyed when hearing of this?.
Good of Ron to make the trip, but surely he could find a cheaper way of travelling there?. If anyone suggests that he pays for the fuel from his own pocket, then ignore this post!.

I bet Ron's car looked a lot better than our team coach!

scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one aren't we.

Back