• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fantastic away win, just what we needed, we simply have to keep up in the top ten, but we are still not strong enough in the middle of the park, but... well done boys it's been a good week.

Thought the ground was decent and a bit different from the standard build. Only holds 12,000 but I would have thought something like that would suit us for the foreseeable future.

Smith 6 - First clean sheet but little to do. Their best efforts went just high or wide.
Clohessy 7 - Steady in defence and moved forward to good effect.
Cresswell 8 - Strong as ever at the back. Shame he had to go off but he was able to milk the applause from the home fans.
Barker 8 - Best I've seen him play for absolutely ages.
Straker 6 - Rode his luck with a couple of awful clearances. Improved as it went on. Not convinced about him.
Leonard 6 - Okay. Without the throws he wouldn't have been noticed that much.
Hurst 7 - Decent contribution.
Timlin 8 - Worked hard and probably the pick of the midfield
Martin 8 - Mainly for an exceptional 2nd half. Tackles, crosses and a goal.
Tomlin 7 - Worked hard, got in good positions but his finishing is bad beyond belief. Surely he can work on this. Assombalonga 9 - Quality striker who looks like he's enjoying his football.

Coughlan 5 - Wouldn't like to see him on any longer nor without a 3 goal cushion.
Clarke-Harris 5 - Early days but he looked like he'd rather have been some place else.

Referee (Tony Harrington) 7.5 First year ref who had a sound match and kept the game flowing whenever possible. Just 9 fouls in the match was a credit to him as well as the players. A messy incident when he got too involved in the precise placement of a freekick in no man's land but if that's the worst you can say about a ref, he's done pretty well. Not the hardest game to referee but he did what he had to and ,for me, he was the best of the numerous new referees we've seen this season.

Was that boneshaker outside the ground our team bus? Surely not? If it was, I'm guessing we haven't paid the regular company.

Yes, that was our team coach, it arrived as we did. It looked comical - some nice dents on it for extra effect! Heard the rumours too inside the ground!

Ron used to fly to away games a few years ago, average cost £600 to £800 an hour. My sources tell me that the bills were sent to SUFC and surprise surprise, some of the air charter firms he used weren't always paid.

Then perhaps R.M. should let the players arrive in more luxury, and he should drive himself up there in his own car or let the train take the strain.

2zr1b92.jpg

snake.JPG

so looking at pubeys chart above we are worse off in terms of points, we are going to finish on less points than last year, yet many people are stating that they are prefering this years style of play, personally I would trade the style for points everytime, thoughts?????

Leeblue I think it is too early to say that (with our current style of play) we'll end up the season with fewer points than last season. Rather than look at comparing the red line (where we are now) to the blue line (where were were at same stage last season) look at the overall picture. Our current trend if we ignore the first two games would put us on a track a bit higher than those projected lines (I think that a moving average of seven games would be a better thing to plot now we have sufficient games played rather than the average of the last three). But the thing to note most is that our current trend is NO WORSE than our performance after the 18th game played last year and the thing that (so nearly) got us promotion last year was the run we put together between game 6 and game 18 (in that spell we averaged what looks like 2.4 points per game.

If we maintain our present trend for most of the season but can at some stage put together that same run of 10 games or so games averaging 2.4 points per game then this would shift us up to the same trend line we achieved last year and surely 83 points this year will be good enough.

So what I'm saying is the difference between this year and last (so far) is that we don't have a run of games (yet) with that high average (if we did we'd currently be on 29 points and tying for top spot!). We faltered after Christmas last year possibly because we only had one game plan, accumulating injuries plus a poor transfer window compared to some other clubs which meant our form did not hold up (our form before December was good enough for 100 points plus).

This season the team (and formation) appears much more flexible (plan A, B and C) and with a few provisors (some more quality in midfield, some recoveries from injuries, and that other teams are not able to upgrade much in the transfer window) then if we put together one good run sometime between now and the end of the season we are looking good in my view for a promotion spot.

I have been meaning to change from the 3 match forecast to a 6 match forecast, as you say we have played 12 games and this is more standard to represent 'recent' form. That will be in place after the next game.

I also agree that we need a run of results to close the gap. Our actual form isn't too bad.

Then perhaps R.M. should let the players arrive in more luxury, and he should drive himself up there in his own car or let the train take the strain.
Why can't Ron travel to games on the TZ coach - I'm sure he would be made most welcome and be among good friends.:smile:

so looking at pubeys chart above we are worse off in terms of points, we are going to finish on less points than last year, yet many people are stating that they are prefering this years style of play, personally I would trade the style for points everytime, thoughts?????

We had a good period up until November last season then we were absolutely terrible.

If we maintain a decent level we will catch up.

83 points was always a big ask to achieve two seasons in a row though when its the highest weve ever achieved.

As for trading style for points I made the, er, point last season that people were claiming they would happily not win games if we played better were deluded. The football is much better this year, and our performances have been pretty good in the main. However sendings off have cost us valuable points. I doubt we would have only got 1 point vs Barnet and Burton if Spicer hadnt been sent off for example.

Personally we are playing decent stuff and moving in the right direction so Im happy enough.

Why can't Ron travel to games on the TZ coach - I'm sure he would be made most welcome and be among good friends.:smile:

I'm sure Ron would be happy to join TZers in their new found hobby of motorway walking.
We had a stroll on the M25 coming home from Plymouth last year and Saturday done the M1 so that's 2 ticked off the list
:smile:

The points required for promotion wont be as high as last year, somewhere around 78 for 3rd place i reckon.

Back