• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Look after it. You won't want that snapping.

I have suffered from tight calves for years and have been told by a few physios that this is the issue. I am doing a lot of stretching and foam rollering.

I warm my calves and achilles area with heat packs before exercise as well.

Hi all. Thought I'd give you an update. As previously said I got a bit of a shock last Christmas when my wife bought me a smart watch and it showed my blood pressure was high even though I was already on meds for this. Meds dose increased but I thought I'd need to get in shape. Started doing some Joe Wicks for seniors and found I could run on the spot in spite of my arthritic knees after years of playing football. Then a neighbour told me about C25k. So I started and I tell you it was really tough at first and tbh I'm not really that much of a fan of the actual running but running along the seafront is quite fun. If its not everyone enjoying the sea it's other joggers. I did have one mishap which I call Pug Gate when an unleashed black pug playfully ran towards ne tripping me up causing grazing to my forearm and knees and badly bruising my little toe. Now I know why it's called the cinder path.
Anyway I persisted, so far haven't had a heart attack. Today and I'm quite proud of this I broke 30 minutes. In fact 29.5 minutes for 5k.
So what about those supposed health benefits. The medics keep on banging on about exercise being good for you but what do they know. I was 12 stone 5 when I started. Am now 10 stone 10 which was my fighting weight when I was around 20. My waist is down from 37 to 33. My BMI is 21. When I had my annual blood pressure review the nurse seemed quite pleased it's down to about 120 over 70. My arthritic knees are holding up. So it seems to work. Fingers very much crossed. I still do Joe Wicks as well.

Last edited:
Hi all. Thought I'd give you an update. As previously said I got a bit of a shock last Christmas when my wife bought me a smart watch and it showed my blood pressure was high even though I was already on meds for this. Meds dose increased but I thought I'd need to get in shape. Started doing some Joe Wicks for seniors and found I could run on the spot in spite of my arthritic knees after years of playing football. Then a neighbour told me about C25k. So I started and I tell you it was really tough at first and tbh I'm not really that much of a fan of the actual running but running along the seafront is quite fun. If its not everyone enjoying the sea it's other joggers. I did have one mishap which I call when an unleashed black pug playfully ran towards ne tripping me up causing grazing to my forearm and knees and badly bruising my little toe. Now I know why it's called the cinder path.
Anyway I persisted, so far haven't had a heart attack. Today and I'm quite proud of this I broke 30 minutes. In fact 29.5 minutes for 5k.
So what about those supposed health benefits. The medics keep on banging on about exercise being good for you but what do they know. I was 12 stone 5 when I started. Am now 10 stone 10 which was my fighting weight when I was around 20. My waist is down from 37 to 33. My BMI is 21. When I had my annual blood pressure review the nurse seemed quite pleased it's down to about 120 over 170. My arthritic knees are holding up. So it seems to work. Fingers very much crossed. I still do Joe Wicks as well.

Good for you. A friend of mine has just completed the C25k. He's loving the running now.

Another interesting story for you. I have a another friend who is a doctor. He's also a rugby player and plays in the front row so he's quite stocky and also not that tall. He went to his GP for a check up and was told his blood pressure was high and that he needed to start taking medication, which he refused! (It must be hard being a GP to a doctor!) This friend then did a deal with his GP that he would go back in 6 months time and if his blood pressure was still high he would agree to the medication.

In that 6 months he stopped drinking and started exercising outside of his rugby training. He lives in Israel and because of the weather there he is able to exercise outdoors all year round. He started doing runs along the seafront and in 6 months worked up to 10k pretty easily. He was doing that at about 5.00am every day before work. When he went back to his GP his blood pressure was normal and he didn't need to take any medication.

As an aside, not long after the 6 months we visited Israel and met up with him and his wife (his wife was originally my friend - I met him through her) at my hotel. I saw her walk in, but couldn't work out who the guy was carrying her kids! He had completely changed and was unrecognisable.

Ironically this also led to him losing his place in his rugby team. He was no-longer stocky enough for the front row and was too slow to play as a back!

Rugby is a funny old game and you do need to have some weight to play it. I played for WHSB firsts when at school at fly half or full back but it was clear when we started playing colts teams from the likes of Sacacens that I would never have the weight to step up to the next level even if I wanted to. After uni my brother asked me to join his football team (although I loved football I had never played on a full sized pitch until I was 21 with WHSB being a 100% rugby school at that time . Retired ligaments done, broken leg numerous other niggles at about 45. Wanted to go to 50 but fitness just wasn't there.

Any of you use the run together app/website?
If so Wednesday slowcoach session at Southchurch Park is led by little old me.

Running Writtle university cross country this saturday 8k, if anyone else doing be good to meet up and next week Billericay road 10 k on the 7th November

Im an old timer so will only see you from the back whilst racing !!!!

I bought a new pair of running shoes which, ironically, always leads to me running less in the short term whilst I wear them in. My last two runs have been half distance. Even though they both went well it's always in the back of my mind that when I go back to full distance I'll have lost a bit of endurance.

Anyone signed for Chelmsford half in March, I’ll be there, run Greenwich 10 k two weeks ago up the hill 4 times was pretty intense but good fun
Thinking about Leigh 10 k on 2/1/22 it’s a night run

I bought a new pair of running shoes which, ironically, always leads to me running less in the short term whilst I wear them in. My last two runs have been half distance. Even though they both went well it's always in the back of my mind that when I go back to full distance I'll have lost a bit of endurance.
Recently in NY, i bought 2 pairs of NB as some of mine had seen better days.
The bad news is i've yet to wear them, as i ruptured my right calf muscle 4 weeks ago.
The good news is, following regular daily cold compress's on the area, it's feeling a lot better. But at my age reckon i'll wait another week before having an easy jog around the block, before doing my normal sessions.

Anyone signed for Chelmsford half in March, I’ll be there, run Greenwich 10 k two weeks ago up the hill 4 times was pretty intense but good fun
Thinking about Leigh 10 k on 2/1/22 it’s a night run
I did it in October with my wife (her first half marathon) - it’s not the most interesting route but as we live in Chelmsford, nice and local for us! Not sure I can be bothered to train for it in March - will stick to just parkruns for now.

Back