• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

I love an early morning run, but can't seem to get out of bed these days. Plus, I find it hard to run if I haven't drunk enough so like to get through at least a litre before I run. The thought of getting up about an hour earlier to hydrate before an early run just puts me off.

I happen to live in a very rural area so early morning runs along country lanes are fantastic. You see a lot of wildlife and can hear nothing but your own footsteps and breathing...wonderful.

At my age drinking a litre an hour before , would like 10 wee breaks , especially in the cold weather
Lucky you in a rural area, would agree see lots of wildlife makes the run ten times better, running Basildon at 5.30 saw lots of rubbish, potholes, laughing gas cylinders and a couple of needles ?

At my age drinking a litre an hour before , would like 10 wee breaks , especially in the cold weather
Lucky you in a rural area, would agree see lots of wildlife makes the run ten times better, running Basildon at 5.30 saw lots of rubbish, potholes, laughing gas cylinders and a couple of needles ?

I did the JP Morgan in Battersea Park one year and after 300m there was a constant stream of people running to use the first toilet we passed.

I used to run with all of them in Barry Edwards road running group in the 80's before turning to the Veterans Track athletics

Do you remember Dave Balthasar, he came 2nd in Southend 84 Marathon, & was a very good runner?.
Saw him earlier walking at the bottom of B & C hill in Benfleet, still looks good!.

Dear old Barry, i know him well. I believe he still lives in Exford Ave, Westcliff.
Great bloke, coached me one to one after his return from a layoff off for a back operation. we had a long chat and he pointed out that I wasn’t really a distance runner and suggested I gave sprinting a go, 3 months later I was running in the Track B team ! Great bloke, haven,t seen him in years….

Well I've been doing the C25k programme basically running up the hall and back (a desire if I'm going to die of a heart attack to do it in my own home and embarrassment of venturing out in jogging stuff at my age). Today I ventured outside (few people around and not hot). I ran along the seafront from the Gypsy bridge and back. I knew I wasn't going to do the full 5k but was quite pleased with the 4.5. Do I feel fitter. Mmm I have to say yes but it's tough. Not going to give up though.

Some road races have started up.
The Essex Way Relay Race from Epping to Harwich is on in September.
'Back in the day' September was a popular month for Marathons, usually within the last week of the month. But as we know, at times the weather is unpredictable, even back in the 80's!.
I ran the Canvey Marathon in both 83 & 84. in 83 it was a sweltering day for Sept, but in 84 conditions were ideal, which saw me beat 83's time by 18 mins ( finished in 3hrs 15mins).
In both 85 & 86 i ran the Worthing Marathon, same time of month, & both times the temp was in the mid-high 70's!!.
Happy days ( after the first 3 hrs after i'd finished! ).

Due to the weather I haven't been out running for fair few weeks now. Still keeping fit doing other things, but would like it not to be quite so hot around lunchtime.

Due to the weather I haven't been out running for fair few weeks now. Still keeping fit doing other things, but would like it not to be quite so hot around lunchtime.
I last went for a run on Sunday, will wait till this weekend as it's meant to be cooler & wet, so much easier to breathe!.
Still walking to Leigh station daily, & back up the steps a couple of times, that's hard enough. Get home & takes over an hour to stop sweating!!.

Redone my videos for my run leader course then a happy sub 30 5k. Not bad for a mornings work.

I don’t go to a gym and Eight months ago I joined “Essex boot camp”.
Have been going for around 5 months ( it was closed during lockdown). I don’t have the time for running and Bootcamp so rarely run.
Last month I did my “ normal” run which I have done probably 50 plus times , my PB was 49.41 and I ran 47.11. Two days later I did 46.52.
So 5.66% taken off PB ?

really happy with the impact of Essex boot camp on my running and ( regardless of running) really recommend it

Last edited:
Take it steady Tommy. It does get easier. I'm now doing a regular run in my C25K routine 3 times a week. The route is the Gypsy bridge to the Rossi pedestrian crossing return which is 5.23k. Last Friday I had my worst ever run when I kept stopping, had my first and last stitch. I think it was that I did it after driving through the rush hour from Hastings. This week so far very good. No stops and time coming down.
BTW this was a quiz question in a quiz I attended that I did not know. As you may know Essex yacht club has used boats as their club house for years. The question was what was the name of the first one. I put the Lady Savile which was used when I was a kid. There were a few that thought the Bembridge. I forget the name of their current boat. The answer was...wait for it... Gypsy. Which is why the bridge is called the Gypsy bridge

Nights are starting to close in now and by the time I manage to get out for a run after putting the kids to bed its around 20:30 and its already dark ish. I run in mainly dark clothing (Blues and Blacks) but run on the pavement mostly.

I do run on some roads where there is no pavement but i always run on the side of the oncoming traffic. That way I can jump into the verge as nears me. Also IF i'm going to get hit i'd like to at least see the vehicle that going to hit me

Just wondered on other peoples thoughts if they have also run in lighter coloured clothing clothing (whites, luminous yellows) during the darker months or even some of the running lights that can be purchased although i'm not a fan of these. Having photosensitive epilepsy it annoys me when cyclists have them flashing as they drive along, What's wrong with a nice solid light. Works for cars and motorbikes

I’ve got first two weeks off in October so after that ankle ligaments damage it’ll be my first run since the injury back on April 4th, can’t wait to get going, feels strong enough now as I’ve being doing between 12,000 - 17,000 steps a day at work since start of may:Thumbs up:

Back