• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Been over 30 years since i was a member ( old git! ).
Only about 10 years out for me but I do enjoy marshalling the XC and 10k.
I turned 60 before pandemic and was thinking of rejoining and being competitive in the Over 60 age group, maybe this year.
Ron Dawson still coaches (and runs) , a few other oldsters are around, Dave Lesley, Les Sawkins, Peter Binns.

Ron Dawson still coaches (and runs) , a few other oldsters are around, Dave Lesley, Les Sawkins, Peter Binns.

I worked with Ron in the Print for 7 years back in the 70's. I heard about 6 years ago, he had Dementia & was in that home in Stambridge?.
Les Sawkins used to run around Hockley a lot, back in the 80's. He was always smiling!!.
Pete Binns used to teach at Shoebury High, & was a very speedy runner.

I worked with Ron in the Print for 7 years back in the 70's. I heard about 6 years ago, he had Dementia & was in that home in Stambridge?.
Les Sawkins used to run around Hockley a lot, back in the 80's. He was always smiling!!.
Pete Binns used to teach at Shoebury High, & was a very speedy runner.
Ron is as right as can be, fully with it etc, I am not sure who you are thinking of?
Les doesn't run anymore, Pete is still a very good vet, he retired from teaching a few years ago.

Ron is as right as can be, fully with it etc, I am not sure who you are thinking of?

Avery good mate of his ( Jimmy Rooke from Hockley, who used to 'powerwalk' ) told me this. Also knew a lady who worked in the Stambridge home, & she confirmed Ron was a resident there??.
Last time i saw him was in 2012 at a Print reunion, guess he'd be about 80 now.

Avery good mate of his ( Jimmy Rooke from Hockley, who used to 'powerwalk' ) told me this. Also knew a lady who worked in the Stambridge home, & she confirmed Ron was a resident there??.
Last time i saw him was in 2012 at a Print reunion, guess he'd be about 80 now.
No, Ron and Pam are 100%, Ron still coaches and runs, Hockley Woods 8 am every Saturday, now his mate George, the ex marine pti I haven't seen for a while.
Old Mike who looked after the equipment and stuff at the club went senile and died a few years ago.
Ray Platts who used to coach the road runners has got dementia and maybe in a home, possibly him, he was good mates with Roy Cottis who stewards at The Hall?

No, Ron and Pam are 100%, Ron still coaches and runs, Hockley Woods 8 am every Saturday, now his mate George, the ex marine pti I haven't seen for a while.
Old Mike who looked after the equipment and stuff at the club went senile and died a few years ago.
Ray Platts who used to coach the road runners has got dementia and maybe in a home, possibly him, he was good mates with Roy Cottis who stewards at The Hall?

That's great news re Ron. Remember Mike Seaman, quite an eccentric. As for Roy Cottis, have known him since 69, we were in same year at Belfairs!.
That's weird re Ron, as Jimmy said Pam had put him in the home for his own good!.

Just did my last long run before the Southend Virtual Half on June 13th. 11.5 miles today - went out too late really; the first few miles along the seafront were lovely but by the halfway point it was already too warm and the last 3-4 miles were pretty brutal. I was 4 seconds a mile off my target pace, got to focus on shorter, faster runs for the next 10 days I think.

Took two weeks off to stretch and rest and ten mins into last night's run I had to stop with achilles pain.

Just did my last long run before the Southend Virtual Half on June 13th. 11.5 miles today - went out too late really; the first few miles along the seafront were lovely but by the halfway point it was already too warm and the last 3-4 miles were pretty brutal. I was 4 seconds a mile off my target pace, got to focus on shorter, faster runs for the next 10 days I think.

I know what you mean. I'm struggling to get out running at the moment because of the heat. By the time I find a convenient time to break from work it's usually around 11.00-11.30. I usually end up doing something different. Yesterday I did an interval session on the bike and today I did a work out from Fitbit.

I know what you mean. I'm struggling to get out running at the moment because of the heat. By the time I find a convenient time to break from work it's usually around 11.00-11.30. I usually end up doing something different. Yesterday I did an interval session on the bike and today I did a work out from Fitbit.
Yeah, it's way too hot for me to run in at the moment - probably alright between midnight and 6, not really ideal! I did manage to get out before 6 for the Southend half today but it was very tough going for the final 5 or 6 miles.

I ran at 7.30 last night 5k but was drenched by the time I finished, wasnt enjoyable !!

Going tomorrow around Gloucester Park at 7.30 pm, missus at Yoga, so will run around the shade part of the park for an hour, plenty of water at hand

Took part in the Stowe Marie’s challenge today. A 3.3 mile loop with 95% off road. It was brutal with the heat and the 2 hills on every loop. I managed 3 laps and got through 3 litres of water in the process. Would also suggest you lot look at a cooling towel.

I did the SUFC walking football on Friday, very good, 10 am Garons Park, recommended.
Frankie Banks led us all through a good warm up routine and some good drills, many of which I have done in the past but have just got out of the habit of doing, some good, gentle, easing out stretches after that before the footie.
I am reasonably fit but twisting turning stop start and kicking a ball is a whole different set of fitness skills and strengths ( weaknesses!).

10km in the rain just now (get me!) which was 29 seconds quicker than last week. I'm getting back to some kind of decent times having not run whilst it was too hot.

I think the interval and endurance sessions I was doing on the bike instead have had a positive effect.

Couldnt sleep last night for one reason or another, so at 5.30 am went off on a run, ended up doing 11 k, felt fantastic afterwards, though a tad tired now at midday

Didnt fancy running through the park, so kept to the mean sidewalks of Basildon, you realise how much road/pavements repairs need doing (Make note to local councillor)

Surprising how many people are out early either dog walking or just in general going out, hope I can sleep now, but certainly a good time to run
Be good soon when we can ,meet up for a run along the front, we can have three groups Fast, medium and just happy to be alive runners

That's great news re Ron. Remember Mike Seaman, quite an eccentric. As for Roy Cottis, have known him since 69, we were in same year at Belfairs!.
That's weird re Ron, as Jimmy said Pam had put him in the home for his own good!.
I used to run with all of them in Barry Edwards road running group in the 80's before turning to the Veterans Track athletics

Couldnt sleep last night for one reason or another, so at 5.30 am went off on a run, ended up doing 11 k, felt fantastic afterwards, though a tad tired now at midday

Didnt fancy running through the park, so kept to the mean sidewalks of Basildon, you realise how much road/pavements repairs need doing (Make note to local councillor)

Surprising how many people are out early either dog walking or just in general going out, hope I can sleep now, but certainly a good time to run
Be good soon when we can ,meet up for a run along the front, we can have three groups Fast, medium and just happy to be alive runners

I love an early morning run, but can't seem to get out of bed these days. Plus, I find it hard to run if I haven't drunk enough so like to get through at least a litre before I run. The thought of getting up about an hour earlier to hydrate before an early run just puts me off.

I happen to live in a very rural area so early morning runs along country lanes are fantastic. You see a lot of wildlife and can hear nothing but your own footsteps and breathing...wonderful.

First time back in the gym and on a treadmill since January 2020. Managed to run 5k in 30:45 whilst watching Finland Vs Belgium. Watched most of it on the running machine, cross trainer and cycling machine, then left to go home and missed both goals

Will look to start getting out and about in the evenings to run off some of the scones and cream that i'll now start eating until probably mid August (Came back from my run yesterday and demolished 2 scones with jam and clotted cream)

Back