• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Salford City vs Southend United 20th October 2020 19:45 hrs FL2

What would be your starting eleven for Tuesday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure you really understand the realities of football and footballers. As some players age their previous injuries catch up with them and it's not always possible to play games close together. IF you were aware of this fact you would know that some of our greatest players in the English game have had to be managed in the number of games they play. Demi is important to us, simple.
I definitely understand what u are saying but u talk about reality? And the reality is we finished bottom last season and we are bottom right now thats the reality.

................Ox................
Elvis. Hobson. Cliff
Sterling Macca Olayinka. Ralph
ANG EA. Goodship

hopefully comes out alright to view (343) Macca to provide that little bit of experience needed. Hopeful of a draw, after Acquah‘s disappointing game odds on him to nick it in dying moments
COYB :LoyalSupporter:

Salford aren't very good, but we are worse. Despite Henderson being in their ranks (he scored a hat trick against Grimsby) I have a strong feeling that this game will end in a goalless draw.

Unfortunately my strong feelings are nearly always incorrect. But it's about time that we kept a clean sheet.

Hard to pick a side not knowing whose fit and whose not .But here goes.
Oxley, Demi, Lennon ( Hobson ) Dieng Clifford
Ang, Macca Taylor Ralph
Olayinka Akinola
Subs Seaden, Elvis, Egbri, Acquah, Goodship ,Sterling, Philips
hoping for at lest a point, but definitely what ever the result a much improved game from saturdays.

Why
Well he shouldn't be playing football for a living then,we cant carry anyone at this time
No, it's about managing the condition of a decent, experienced player for us. Something we don't have in abundance. He recently retired from international football so he can maximise the amount of games he can play for us.

You really do see things through very simplistic eyes, don't you. I'm going to give up commenting on your posts now as it's utterly pointless.

I definitely understand what u are saying but u talk about reality? And the reality is we finished bottom last season and we are bottom right now thats the reality.
I think if we're discussing reality @Shrimpet steve, then we didn't finish last season in terms of games played and we didn't finish bottom, Bolton did. I know that's splitting hairs but it just seems the right thing to post in these reality discussions.

Should the match even go ahead tomorrow? Should the team be travelling to a covid hotspot where the local hospital is at full capacity already and the possibility of a full lockdown imminent? Is the EFL monitoring the situation?

Last edited:
The worst place by far for covid is Nottingham and Forest's matches have gone ahead. Provided our lads keep away from students and Manccy lasses they will be fine in a covid-secure bubble.

Should the match even go ahead tomorrow? Should the team be travelling to a covid hotspot where the local hospital is at full capacity already and the possibility of a full lockdown imminent? Is the EFL monitoring the situation?
I was wondering exactly that and Tranmere too on Saturday? Also when was the last time we won a midweek league game, discounting Bank Holidays?

I'd go with:

-------------OX-----------
Elvis Hobson Lennon Clifford
-----------Dieng-----------
ANG ---------------------Ralph
-----------Goodship---------
------Sterling Acquah-------

If Lennon can't make it I'd hope either Diend can drop back and Macca can go into midfield of White can play.

A lot have included Macca in their teams.
Has he been pencilled in by MM?
Only on Friday, he said: 'Alan and John are both training on the grass again but we need to be so careful with going too early too soon.'
Can't leave Elvis out if Demi is also rested.
Who else will attempt to keep 'Dobson' (Saturday's commentary for those who missed it) from screwing up at right-back?
And for those including Akinola, he's 'weeks away' according to the boss.

The sad news is that Stuart Smith is doing the commentary again.

As for the team somehow we need to get near to their goal.

I would pick Tom Clifford because it appears to me that he is our best dead ball exponent. I would pick Egbri because he can carry the ball forward and run with pace. It’s how you accommodate the rest. Do you select Kyle Taylor, Sterling and Olayinka together?
Do you persevere with Acquah who whilst having some positive attributes holding the ball up isn’t very mobile or pacy? I presume Demi won’t be risked.

I cant see White or McCormack being risked after being sat on a coach for 4/5 hours.

So I would go for
Oxley, Elvis, Dieng, Lennon, Clifford,
Egbri, Olayinka, Taylor, Ralph,
Sterling, Goodship.

That team is far too inexperienced though.

All these new signings haven’t added any experience and none seem to be someone who you’d put in the team without question.

If you revert to experience Hobson and Ralph go into the back four, Dieng and Macca into midfield.

Apparently Nile Ranger is getting fit in the Barnet Sunday League. We need someone like him up front.

Only done a quick skim through the results so I could be wrong. But I think it was Tues 24th April 2018 a 3 nil win away at Oldham.
There's a couple more recent than that:

02/10/2018 2-1 at Burton
23/10/2018 3-0 vs Walsall
27/11/2018 2-0 vs Scunthorpe

That's the last win. We've W0 D2 L9 midweek league games since then.

Never mind Mondays, I don't like Tuesdays.

There's a couple more recent than that:

02/10/2018 2-1 at Burton
23/10/2018 3-0 vs Walsall
27/11/2018 2-0 vs Scunthorpe

That's the last win. We've W0 D2 L9 midweek league games since then.

Never mind Mondays, I don't like Tuesdays.

I'm beginning to hate Saturdays too.

0-3

Not bothered by who starts, just want us to revert back to a 442. They seem to understand they roles more and this linked up the play better. There were far to many gaps in behind us with Saturdays formation.

It's a tricky one that needs to balance the fact that we have a lot of players who need their injuries managing and the fact that we have a run of 5 games in 15 days, of which this is only the second.

The options are therefore pretty limited and I would go for:

Oxley

Elvis Hobson Dieng Clifford

Nathaniel-George K.Taylor Olayinka Ralph

Goodship Acquah

Subs: Seaden, Lennon, Demi, R.Taylor, Sterling, Egbri, Coker​

Tempting as it would be to let Demi and Lennon put their feet up at home, I think it's important to keep the group together and to have experienced voices around the squad for a quiet word in the ear on the coach, before the game and at half-time.

It sounds like Macca, White and Akinola are not ready yet so have not even considered them.

I think Nathaniel-George deserves a start, and starting the new midfielder is a no-brainer if Demi needs a rest. The lad Sterling looked a bit lost on Saturday so I'd give him a rest and see if he can do something off the bench instead.

I think Clifford takes a mean dead ball, and pushing Ralph up with his springy legs allows Ox to at least have two points to aim for with goal kicks. He didn't do too bad last time he played further forward either.

Can't see us getting much from this one, but as ever I live in hope rather than expectation! I'll be watching with interest on iFollow, hoping for a bit of a response following Saturday's lacklustre performance.

Hope they can put in a solid performance at least. The heartbreaking equaliser by Exeter needs to be banished. Any type of win man, please. I have finally resorted to begging...

Back