• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend Save Our Southend

I always feel these projects happen when its too late. This club has been spiralling for years, yet with a handful of games left before we fall into 'non league', we've an action group.
Apart from getting Ron out, who do you propose to invest, or are you planning to set up a phoenix club or invest in buying Ron out and making the club a co-operative?
The last one would work at a lower league than where we may end up next year, I'm not sure of any at this level, I'm sure you football boffins will correct me.
I'm still waiting to be convinced of the motives of SOS, but I understand the frustration of where we are and where we appear to be going.

The short answer is yes but the long answer will follow shortly (will type it up for you so give me an hour)

Why will Ron engage with you if your objective is to remove him? Would a better objective be to have something like strong, stable, and engaged management - ok that's ****, but something that Ron could come along with if he wanted?

Don't get me wrong, I admire what you are doing and please don't take this as shooting you down. With every project you need to know the barriers that are in your way and also what you can realistically achieve.

I think the real reason that the fans are splintered and Ron gets away with it is because Ron has manufactured a situation where we are pretty f**ked without him. From where I am standing there looks to be 2 options:

1. Look to depose Ron knowing that we are heavily in debt to him and in all likelihood see the club go under and start from scratch, but in control.

2. Reluctantly let Ron carry on.

I am happy to hear other possibilities if someone thinks they have spotted another way?

What I really want to know is the end game for this project? Completely agree that the current situation is a joke, but think the reason we feel so helpless is because we are to an extent.

Are there minutes available for the meeting/s you have had? I think support would be more likely if there was transparency around what you were trying to do. I know it is a projest in its infancy so perhaps that is all coming anyway?
I agree with your post but I think there's a third way, which is a united direct action fan group that (figuratively) hold Ron's feet to the flames.

I don't think we can out Ron, it's just not a realistic scenario. I think Ron wants the ground deal to go through and he'd like to be seen by fans as the owner who got us a shiny new ground and the foundations of a club that could really go places in the future (debt free, good academy, good ground, untapped potential etc.) His fall back option is for the ground to go through and then he ****s off as quickly as possible with his money. We then are at the mercy of new owners, and having been following Wigan quite closely for the last couple of years the grass is definitely not always greener.

So what would the direct action group need to do? Well I think it needs to come up with a list of realistic and achievable aims that Ron needs to execute. I'm not exactly sure what these should be, but I'd suggest the following as a starting point.

1. Appointment of a credible CEO to take over day-to-day running of the club (within next 3 months)
2. Fan representative on the board (within next 3 months)
3. Weekly club updates from the CEO to improve lines of communication (within next 3 months)

Failure to meet these aims will be met with consistent and organised boycotts and protests.

As you say, the fanbase is fractured, and the divisive post at the start of the thread doesn't help because we need a united front from the fan groups for the threat to be effective. It needs to be agreed upon by all of the groups and in particular the Trust.

Hi Kay, The Trust do a fabulous job for the club in different areas but standing up to the man that has blatantly prioritised his own, personal dream development over the football side of the club to an extent that we are heading non league - is not one of them.
Kevin if you'd heard what some Trust committee have said to Ron over the years it would make you blush. The thing is Ron has his agenda and in fairness he's never vied away from this. That is to develope something and that has changed over time to now be on the threshold of realising that dream. It includes a stadium that would be attractive to new investors of the football club. They won't want a small capacity stadium. Ron will make his money and why not. The thing in our favour is the Council position. They want the houses and that comes on the back of the stadium and Roots Hall. Roots Hall will never be redeveloped without the stadium or an alternative i.e. FF. Whilst I am absolutely gutted (that's an understatement BTW) about the football side of things I believe it matters not a jot to people who would want to run the club if we were non league. In fact they might think it initially would be cheaper . It just seems to be the wrong timing for the whole thing. Just my view.

I always feel these projects happen when its too late. This club has been spiralling for years, yet with a handful of games left before we fall into 'non league', we've an action group.
Apart from getting Ron out, who do you propose to invest, or are you planning to set up a phoenix club or invest in buying Ron out and making the club a co-operative?
The last one would work at a lower league than where we may end up next year, I'm not sure of any at this level, I'm sure you football boffins will correct me.
I'm still waiting to be convinced of the motives of SOS, but I understand the frustration of where we are and where we appear to be going.
So in my view a Phoenix club is always the last option IF SUFC could not be brought back to life. We have people who support us who work in running a non league club at the moment (they shall remain nameless unless they wish to declare themselves) we have the talent and a small amount of money at Essex senior level goes a long long way, this is I should say something where I would like to think the trust would swing into action and we would back that. But that’s I hope much further down the line question and only a last resort.

With the exposure though other fans of clubs including news media we of course will attract attention for potential future investment, if Ron does not put the club in the shop window then the fans will have to, who knows who’s watching who’s listening who might have a large sum of money and Ron thinks “yeah ok I have had enough”

again it goes back to if we don’t try we fail anyway.

Kevin if you'd heard what some Trust committee have said to Ron over the years it would make you blush. The thing is Ron has his agenda and in fairness he's never vied away from this. That is to develope something and that has changed over time to now be on the threshold of realising that dream. It includes a stadium that would be attractive to new investors of the football club. They won't want a small capacity stadium. Ron will make his money and why not. The thing in our favour is the Council position. They want the houses and that comes on the back of the stadium and Roots Hall. Roots Hall will never be redeveloped without the stadium or an alternative i.e. FF. Whilst I am absolutely gutted (that's an understatement BTW) about the football side of things I believe it matters not a jot to people who would want to run the club if we were non league. In fact they might think it initially would be cheaper . It just seems to be the wrong timing for the whole thing. Just my view.
I have heard what was said in many many meetings between the trust and Ron, none of it made me blush and besides it’s actions not words that are needed

This thread is very interesting, especially the different views for and against certain groups views or motives. The one thing that would go a long way (although admittedly not sort the issues) is an actual proper and factual statement from Ronald.
If he actually gave the fans some more respect with some transparency, I feel there would be less unease for us supporters.

I agree with your post but I think there's a third way, which is a united direct action fan group that (figuratively) hold Ron's feet to the flames.

I don't think we can out Ron, it's just not a realistic scenario. I think Ron wants the ground deal to go through and he'd like to be seen by fans as the owner who got us a shiny new ground and the foundations of a club that could really go places in the future (debt free, good academy, good ground, untapped potential etc.) His fall back option is for the ground to go through and then he ****s off as quickly as possible with his money. We then are at the mercy of new owners, and having been following Wigan quite closely for the last couple of years the grass is definitely not always greener.

So what would the direct action group need to do? Well I think it needs to come up with a list of realistic and achievable aims that Ron needs to execute. I'm not exactly sure what these should be, but I'd suggest the following as a starting point.

1. Appointment of a credible CEO to take over day-to-day running of the club (within next 3 months)
3. Weekly club updates from the CEO to improve lines of communication (within next 3 months)

Failure to meet these aims will be met with consistent and organised boycotts and protests.

As you say, the fanbase is fractured, and the divisive post at the start of the thread doesn't help because we need a united front from the fan groups for the threat to be effective. It needs to be agreed upon by all of the groups and in particular the Trust.
What you have said ‘a list of actions’ is exactly what is being prepared right now to present to the club this week.

So in my view a Phoenix club is always the last option IF SUFC could not be brought back to life. We have people who support us who work in running a non league club at the moment (they shall remain nameless unless they wish to declare themselves) we have the talent and a small amount of money at Essex senior level goes a long long way, this is I should say something where I would like to think the trust would swing into action and we would back that. But that’s I hope much further down the line question and only a last resort.

With the exposure though other fans of clubs including news media we of course will attract attention for potential future investment, if Ron does not put the club in the shop window then the fans will have to, who knows who’s watching who’s listening who might have a large sum of money and Ron thinks “yeah ok I have had enough”

again it goes back to if we don’t try we fail anyway.

You may want to have a chat with the council as well then because Ron isn't going anywhere until he has his planning permission.

I don't disagree with your points, but Ron's said for quite a while that he has someone in mind for the CEO role when the new stadium is a reality, but I believe he is unwilling to pay out for one as things stand.

He also sees Gary Lockett as the fan representative on the board - Gary and his wife are well known to a large number of supporters.

This thread is very interesting, especially the different views for and against certain groups views or motives. The one thing that would go a long way (although admittedly not sort the issues) is an actual proper and factual statement from Ronald.
If he actually gave the fans some more respect with some transparency, I feel there would be less unease for us supporters.
Exactly if he finally admitted he is in over his head and he needed the help then us as fans can work with him on that.
How many times should we accept being treated like that before fans stand up and say no more.
Nobody wants this situation but we are in it and as such we must act accordingly

I don't disagree with your points, but Ron's said for quite a while that he has someone in mind for the CEO role when the new stadium is a reality, but I believe he is unwilling to pay out for one as things stand.

He also sees Gary Lockett as the fan representative on the board - Gary and his wife are well known to a large number of supporters.

Not known well enough in my view. If he is the supporters' representative on the board then where has he been hiding? I certainly have never met him, and I co-edit the fanzine!

A united group of fans can achieve a great deal ...

I think the fans at Portsmouth managed to take control and then hand it over.

A properly constituted fans led organisation is a very attractive alternative owner and operator of a football club and a very attractive proposition for inward investors.

A group of fans working in a transparent structure can raise significant funds and operate without the legacy of debt of previous unsuccessful owners.

Do research the models at Portsmouth and Wimbledon and any other situations.

For the long term health of the club it is probably best that a fan led trust/consortium/company/board presents a viable alternative to the current failed situation.

There is an alternative.

Of course this is entirely viable and what most chairman are really really scared of.

I think it is an excellent initiative.

5000 people buying a voting share for GBP 200 equals a One Million pounds.

Lets go to work.

Kay I like Gary but does this not encapsulate everything that’s wrong and poison at the club? Using an ex chief executive of Southend as our representative on the board?!
Utter madness in my book

Kay I like Gary but does this not encapsulate everything that’s wrong and poison at the club? Using an ex chief executive of Southend as our representative on the board?!
Utter madness in my book

Indeed, nothing against Mr Lockett, but we have a fan representative on the board who is not even in the liaison group that represents all the supporter groups.

Why do you want a fan rep on the board? Fans opinions are so divisive anyway!

Partly to keep the fans informed of what's going on behind the scenes. Although the way the shares are distributed at our club, even most of the board don't seem to know what's going on.

Any supporters group or representative should have a goal of a sizeable shareholding, but to be honest I have no idea how much that would take.

I do know that we have a lot of fan shareholders, each with a very small amount. I wonder if there would be some kind of campaign that could persuade those supporters to amalgamate those shares together.

In all honesty though I am a bit thick when it comes to matters of shares in companies, so this might all be a load of rubbish.

So the plan is ultimately to fold Sufc and have a Phoenix club at Essex senior level?
No, that’s not the plan!!
It’s an example and here it is....
SUFC goes bust and we can’t save it what do we do? We do what others have done and form a new club, that club would have to play much lower down in the leagues maybe Essex senior or maybe another league who knows till the time comes.

Not only that this is not a job for us this is the trusts job, so you will have to ask if they have a contingency plan.

Back