• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Sawyer 6 month Loan

I'd guess that Sawyer will play in the middle with McCormack moving out to the right. Can we then get away with playing Moussa on the left? I have my doubts.

Can't we just play players in their rightful positions and let them battle with each other as to who makes the starting place their own? If we were to play McCormack right, Moussa left, with Christophe and Sawyer in the middle I might just weep. We'd have about as much width as Posh Spice.

omg im sooo happy, i actually love sawyer. Such a immense player.

Has everyone forgot about walker i think him and barnard could be the pair up front like the playoff days!!

Good news but another centre mid? Putting Macca out wide will not be his best position. Cant see jeff as a centre back think it will be him and Sawyer in the middle. Clearly Moose is now going to be left mid. Right mid I would still have betsy probably.

Excellent signing, Sawyer will be quality if he can replicate his form for us last season.

Our 4 quality centre mids must be scratching their heads wondering where they fit now though.

I welcome Sawyer with open arms but hope this doesn't hinder Moussa's progress, that said talk about competition for places in CM!!!

Personally I think that Sawyer is a better player than Moussa but I agree that this signing could have an adverse effect on Franck's progress. Remember it was Sawyer's signing last year that led to Moussa going out on loan. I'd guess that Sawyer will play in the middle with McCormack moving out to the right. Can we then get away with playing Moussa on the left? I have my doubts.

I'd argue that Moussa had his hand in more goals from the left than JCR did from the right.

I'd be happy with a midfield of:

Macca Sawyer Christophe/Grant Moussa

Would be compact, but Moussa has shown he can cross and run with the ball, and Macca would allow Francis to overlap.

Let's not forget that Macca, Sawyer and Grant are all card-magnets... it'll be rare that they're all available to play

I just think this beefs up the squad, provides competition for places and gives us more options from the bench. At the moment I'd still be inclined to line the midfield up as Moussa - JFC - Macca - Grant.

Excellent signing. Looks like we now have a bit of creativity in the middle!

I don't see this hampering Moussa's development - I believe Tilly now sees him as our left midfielder, so Sawyer won't interfere with him.

4 CMs is a bit crazy, but I can see Macca and Sawyer perhaps being deployed out wide right when Betsy fails game after game to make an impact.

YES!!! Brilliant news, so happy with that.

Bit harsh on our current crop of CM, but dont forget that Sawyer rarely finished a game and seemed to blow himself out after about 70 mins, so I'm sure he wont play every week until he develops a bit more stamina.

Superb though and I may even make the trip to Canvey now :)

Also, Moussa's not adverse to the odd rush of blood to the head... I remember him flying into a few challenges and picking up the odd card.

It's worth noting that we've played some of our best football with a compact midfield. Instead of playing a conventional midfield four with two wingers, the last time we were in this League we regularly played Bentley on the right hand side, and Gower was hardly your definitive winger.

It's worth noting that we've played some of our best football with a compact midfield. Instead of playing a conventional midfield four with two wingers, the last time we were in this League we regularly played Bentley on the right hand side, and Gower was hardly your definitive winger.

Good point. Nor Pettefer, nor Bradbury.

On a side note - anyone think this is (another) missed opportunity for some much needed PR spin?

The club could have put out a message from Tilson saying "we really wanted Lee back and tried all we could to make it happen - we have been banging on Chelseas door non-stop and pulled out all the stops etc etc"...

instead of

"Chelsea contacted us and we jumped at the chance"...

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!.................not just any news......SAWYER IN!.......should I be the weeniest bit disappointed that it's only six months.......could it be extended or made permanent?

I would have liked to have read with a view to a permanent transfer.
Should Sawyer play well during the six months we could lose him to another club in the january window I suppose.

I wondered that as well, for me and i know that a lot of people will disagree but i think moussa is the better player. Anyway not sure where it leaves Macca now?

I think what it really means is competition for places. Hopefully it will bring out the best in everyone.

On a side note - anyone think this is (another) missed opportunity for some much needed PR spin?

The club could have put out a message from Tilson saying "we really wanted Lee back and tried all we could to make it happen - we have been banging on Chelseas door non-stop and pulled out all the stops etc etc"...

instead of

"Chelsea contacted us and we jumped at the chance"...

Take your point but it's also good to show that we're top of the list when a top Prem club wants to send one of their players out on loan eh?

Take your point but it's also good to show that we're top of the list when a top Prem club wants to send one of their players out on loan eh?

Yea definitely, thats the positive spin.

On another (down, sorry!) note again - i wouldnt be so sure that we would sign him in Jan. Why would Chelsea come and offer to loan him to us now, if we had the chance to buy him in Jan. They stand to gain nothing, they may as well release him now...

They must still have plans for him long term - either to play or sell on for a larger fee than what we could afford.

Yea definitely, thats the positive spin.

On another (down, sorry!) note again - i wouldnt be so sure that we would sign him in Jan. Why would Chelsea come and offer to loan him to us now, if we had the chance to buy him in Jan. They stand to gain nothing, they may as well release him now...

They must still have plans for him long term - either to play or sell on for a larger fee than what we could afford.

Or we wanted another good look before buying? Maybe we will have decent funds available in Jan, when the stadium should be up and running and some money coming in from retail unit agreements?

I expect Chelsea will want a good £200k for him in January. As part of the "due dilligence" RM talks about, it would make sense to see if he really is worth that sort of dosh, before parting with it. He had very average spells at Coventry and Wycombe, so it makes sense really.

Back