• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Sawyer 6 month Loan

i am not his biggest fan and even a loans will be expensive - but its a good feather in the cap for Sir Steve and our ongoing relationship with Chelsea -

and maybe it will add an option to the midfield -

BUT, another loan signing - If it was with a view to a permanent move, then that would be sensational, but I don't for one second believe that it is. We know all there is to know about Lee Sawyer, so if we were ever going to sign him permanently, we would have done now, rather than in January, and run the risk of his price going through the roof if he has a good first half of the season.

Also though, don't forget most people on here expected Sawyer permanently as we all thought his Chelsea contract was up & he therefore would be available for minimal costs!

This is the best news I've heard all summer.

Lee Sawyer was a very big player for us in his short stay originally, chipping in with 3 goals in 12 matches. He is the replacement for Nick Bailey. I'm so glad we have brought him in. I even suggested at it over the weekend in the Lee Sawyer thread.

Well played Tilly, Brushy and Martin for making this happen.

This is the best news I've heard all summer.

Lee Sawyer was a very big player for us in his short stay originally, chipping in with 3 goals in 12 matches. He is the replacement for Nick Bailey. I'm so glad we have brought him in. I even suggested at it over the weekend in the Lee Sawyer thread.

Well played Tilly, Brushy and Martin for making this happen.

...and Chelsea. ;)

sorry if this is a dumb question, has JFC played at CB at all in our friendlies? If not then I think we can rule him out from playing there during this season

sorry if this is a dumb question, has JFC played at CB at all in our friendlies? If not then I think we can rule him out from playing there during this season

I didn't go on Friday, but against Witham on Saturday he played in the middle of midfield.

JFC was someone Tilson wanted to look at a centre half in pre-season, but even he had doubts about his ability to play there. I think we will have a centre half signed on this week anyways.

JFC played CM against Wakering aswell.

With Sawyer now on board I'm thinking a 5 man midfield with JFC playing a holding role, Macca and Grant in the middle with Moussa and Sawyer either side.

Also though, don't forget most people on here expected Sawyer permanently as we all thought his Chelsea contract was up & he therefore would be available for minimal costs!

reading between this lines;
Sawyer will not go for a big fee at present, and did not do well in the championship therefore there will not be many takers
Chelsea still think that he has a lot to offer and will improve and becoem more valuable.

QED- give him back to us where he did well. We play hiom for 6 months, he does well and then gets sold/loaned out to a bigger club.

We win because six months is better than nothing (and he has not gone to another club in our division). Chelsea win becasue at some point they get a big fee for him. If he does crap then Chelseas are no worse off than if they had let him go for peannuts today

anyway- thats what I think
Chelsea still tnk Sawyer is going to e

Hallelujah! Defence is our priority but Sawyer isn´t any old centre mid and on paper we must have one of the best set of midfielders in the league. I just hope he reproduces the form he showed with us rather than the form he showed at Coventry/Wycombe. As for fitting him in? Macca on the wing - no way. He is a central midfielder and nothing else. I´d rather have Moussa/Grant/Sawyer on the wing. I´d probably start the season with Macca and Sawyer in the middle, Moussa on either wing then Grant and JFC on the bench or in defence if need be. Remember Macca will be suspended for half of the season. Could I even suggest selling Moussa? We´d surely get decent money for a talented young player like him. I always end up selling him on Football Manager.

Now for a couple of defenders.

Sawyer is a Shrimper, Sawyer is a Shrimper, na na na na, na na na na!

What great news! Fantastic to have him back at the club! Well Done Tilly, great loan signing, lets see two more players come in permentaly before the start of the season! UTB!

Good signing, hopefully we'll get him permanently in january presuming he plays like he did last season obviously.

Great news!
Reminds me of Stevie G with his box-to-box runs, hope we get him permanently in January!
Makes you wonder why it is only a loan at the moment though...

Good signing, great to have him back at the club. The one thing he offers in our midfield is creativity, and goals.

BUT, another loan signing - If it was with a view to a permanent move, then that would be sensational, but I don't for one second believe that it is. We know all there is to know about Lee Sawyer, so if we were ever going to sign him permanently, we would have done now, rather than in January, and run the risk of his price going through the roof if he has a good first half of the season.

That said, let's hope it's the opening of the flood gates for more signings!

On the plus side we may have agreed a price for him already as part of the loan and he seems delighted to be here so maybe that gives us more chance of getting him full time.

Sawyer wherever you maybe, your home is S U F C, we dont give a **** about Ancelotti, stick with us and Sir Tilly.

Needs work obviously...

Can you Imagine it, Brushy an steve on friday having a cuppa in steves office. "well brushy.......we are f****d* What we gonna do? Is there anyone left who wants to play for us next season? "Now steve dont panic" chrissy powell as said at a push he thinks he could do a job,but we already have a spongeman so its down to "Sean goater agent to see if of our offer of £5 pound a day and all the creole chicken he can eat or Julian Dicks offer of pay as you play, as long as it doesnt get in way of his golf. I would go for sean as as his agent is confident on him losing the 8 stone he as put on since retiring. "steve ...is that your mobile, Hi steve, Frank Arneson...sorry who...Frank Arneson!...f**k off gazza, you wind up merchant......"Is this the number for steve tilson, southend united manager???? Er yeah (hand over phone and whispers to brushy " Got some foreign bloke on the phone who is a fan of Lost and wants some actor named sawyer to sign for us......as if we are not in enough s**t already......

Seriously, a good signing with the Potential to be a very good player, just hope he understands that there are no guarantess for his place, Im a happier shrimper know!

Last edited:
Back