• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sawyer, Hunt and Harrold

Reg Martin

No Relation
Went to see Darlington v Wycombe last night with 3 ex-Shrimpers involved on the pitch. Sawyer and Hunt started and Harrold was on the bench.
At first Sawyer looked like a boy amongst men - almost literally given the height of many of the other players involved. But he got more and more involved as the first half went on, covering a lot of ground, showing some nice touches and had a run and shot that resulted in the corner Wycombe scored their first from. Chatted to a Wycombe fan in front of me who said that was the best Sawyer had played for them as he had been poor in previous games. In second half he got himself invovled in some argy-bargy with the Darlo players and was booked and promptly subbed by Spud before he got himself sent off.
On this evidence he would be worth signing still but not sure he would get into our team right now but probably a good deputy for Macca.
Harrold came on with about 20 minutes to go and also made a decent showing winning a lot in the air, involved in a lot of play around the box even beating a Darlo defender on the ground out on the left wing. However he never looked remotely like scoring. One poor clearance from the Darlo keeper went straight to him and with no defender in front of him he failed to control the ball and lost possession.
Hunt was generally solid but unspectacular though may have been partly a fault for Darlo's equaliser.
An injury time winner from the southern visitors sent me home happy as I fought may way back to my car through the huge crowds.

...as I fought may way back to my car through the huge crowds.

Took me almost an hour to get out of the car park the day we lost 0-4 up there (day beofre we signed Freddy), crowd was less than 3k, as I'm sure it was last night.

Hate to think what the congestion would be like if it ever got near capacity!

Good report. I had read from the Wycombe forum that they weren't keen on Sawyer and thought that he was out of his depth. Maybe we are the side that get the best out of him. I doubt he would be a first-teamer with Macca on top-form and Grant playing out of his skin. Moussa is also showing alot of potential and Christophe is still a great asset to have.

Good report. I had read from the Wycombe forum that they weren't keen on Sawyer and thought that he was out of his depth. Maybe we are the side that get the best out of him. I doubt he would be a first-teamer with Macca on top-form and Grant playing out of his skin. Moussa is also showing alot of potential and Christophe is still a great asset to have.

The thing I liked about Sawyer was his ability to pick the ball up deep and run it into the opponents half. We dont really have that now which is why we often go to the long ball. Also, you just know Macca and Grant will manage to get themselves suspended just when you need them most.

Sawyer will also be a double-figure goalscorer if playing often

I have convinced myself with no element of knowing anyone in the game that knows Tilson that Lee Swayer will be a Southend player by the start of next season.

I have convinced myself with no element of knowing anyone in the game that knows Tilson that Lee Swayer will be a Southend player by the start of next season.

Nothing wrong with that sort of thinking as I'm sure its the basis of most 'inside info', rumours etc posted on here and Lee Swayer sounds like he might be a bit nifty on his feet!

What was the atmosphere like in that stadium Teesside? Think I read there was only 2-3,000 there, must have been a bit echoy.

Crowd was 2,180 - their lowest of season I believe.
Only 2 sides of ground were open and though both sets of fans made a fair effort at generating noise, it was a strange experience.
Though it's worth remembering that in pre-all seater days and when south bank was in its full glory, roots hall was often only 10% full.
I know Darlo are often quoted as the prime example of the folly of building a new and bigger stadium (and I can see pros and cons for the size of stadium we're going for), the thing with Darlo is that they would never fill the ground even if they were in the premeir league - their catchment population is very limited - to north is sunderland country, to east is middlesbrough and to south and west is sparsely poulated.

Wycombe were on the box the other week, cant remember if it was sky or Sultana. Sawyer was being played as a winger. Surprising given he made such a decent account of himself in centre mid for us.

Surely not another who gets played outside of his natural position to then be discounted as no good?

Still, a player suits a team and certainly while he was at the hall he suited us. Doesnt always work that a decent player can just slot into another team and have the same impact.

As for Harrold....nothing changes then as he was the same in the game I saw on tv. Good work rate but not alot else. If he could add goal scoring to his list of attributes he would be a decent player...

Back