• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Say we are

Ron Manager

Fecking awesome boys! I have to say that before this run over Christmas I was begining to think that the bubble had well and truly burst and we'd spend the rest of the season scrapping around for the points needed to keep us in the division. However it's starting to look now that we merely went through a bit of a blip and are now back on course.

There's a long way to go of course but there's nothing in this league to scare us when we are playing well so why can't we still be in this position come May?

This Division is there for the taking, long as Tilson sign the right players in Jans, then the thought of Southend Vs Everton or Leeds might come realist in Augs 2006.

Every team has there blips in a season (apart from chelsea) and lets hope the last month or so was our blip although i have a feeling we'll have another blip in form near the end of the season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 02 2006,20:13)]Fecking awesome boys! I have to say that before this run over Christmas I was begining to think that the bubble had well and truly burst and we'd spend the rest of the season scrapping around for the points needed to keep us in the division. However it's starting to look now that we merely went through a bit of a blip and are now back on course.

There's a long way to go of course but there's nothing in this league to scare us when we are playing well so why can't we still be in this position come May?
Please stay in Australia , we do better with you on the other side of the world

I also thought that we'd had our run for the season. I believe I was caught in the bar at Hartlepool saying we'll finish 12th (which I would have paid a lot of money for in August).
Well, I have (so far) been proved wrong. I'm hoping we have well and truly turned the corner (we are top of the league after all). Having said that, I feel we have stumbled to the top, rather than stormed to the top, like last time. I'm willing to have tomatoes thrown at me for saying this, but I happen to think we have not deserved to win any of the games we have won this week. I know a sign of a good side is winning when you're not playing that well, but I truly believe we will not even get in the play offs if we carry on playing the way we have this week. I feel I might be being slightly harsh given their schedule this week, but that's what I think. They've got a bit lucky...now this is the perfect opportunity to build on it. As they well know, you need a bit of luck to go up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (keefmoon @ Jan. 03 2006,02:22)]I also thought that we'd had our run for the season. I believe I was caught in the bar at Hartlepool saying we'll finish 12th (which I would have paid a lot of money for in August).
Well, I have (so far) been proved wrong. I'm hoping we have well and truly turned the corner (we are top of the league after all). Having said that, I feel we have stumbled to the top, rather than stormed to the top, like last time. I'm willing to have tomatoes thrown at me for saying this, but I happen to think we have not deserved to win any of the games we have won this week. I know a sign of a good side is winning when you're not playing that well, but I truly believe we will not even get in the play offs if we carry on playing the way we have this week. I feel I might be being slightly harsh given their schedule this week, but that's what I think. They've got a bit lucky...now this is the perfect opportunity to build on it. As they well know, you need a bit of luck to go up.
Keef, agree with a lot of what you say , but don't forget some of the other top sides are also struggling , so anything could happen.

Could someone force the Col Ewe coach of a steep cliff as they drive to their next away match , that might help !

Have to agree, went to Bournemouth game and the best we deserved was a draw.

Still, the table doesn't lie, we are winning while playing badly, always a good sign, so let's just keep on...who knows what might happen?!

A couple of decent signings in the next month (I reckon 3 in, with 1 leaving) could give us the springboard to cement our place in the top 6.

The play-offs are a possiblity, but never say never.

Come on you Shrimpers ! !

I just can't believe we are talking about automatic promotion now having looked at the expectations when we came up. What a marvellous effort (so far) by the team.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hambone @ Jan. 03 2006,11:31)]I just can't believe we are talking about automatic promotion now having looked at the expectations when we came up.  What a marvellous effort (so far) by the team.
I couldn't agree more. I'm absolutely thrilled by our progress this season... BUT I'm still not getting carried away. For me the current squad remains short of being a promotion-winning one so we need to bolster it this month.

We need a left-back and a striker and ideally I'd like us to sign a young, tall centre-half as well - someone in the mould of Orient's Gabriel Zakuani (though probably not him as he's been linked with a move to a Championship side).

In addition, I really hope the JCR deal goes through as he gives us an extra option on the flanks, which is necessary when you consider both Mark Gower and Mitch Cole are prone to fitness problems.

A striker and a left back indeed, but only as back ups, it would be unfare to replace gray or che while the team is working so well. While I dont really see southend play as much as most of you, i still think changing a winning team, even if its adding a quality player, is a bad idea, its also unfair.

Well done to the lads so far, they've exceeded most people's expectations already. However what keefmoon says is probably correct, we haven't deserved any of our wins inb the last week and if we don't buck our ideas up a bit we'll soon be dropping down the table. Our squad also looks painfully thin, so I reckon that if we have any serious ambitions to get into the playoffs then we need to sign some backup!

Oh and when keefmoon predicted 12th, I predicted 17th...
tounge.gif

I have worked out a mathamatcial equiation which works out what we need to get promoted.

P = S + 20 x 3

Its that simple.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (silentshrimper @ Jan. 03 2006,13:34)]A striker and a left back indeed, but only as back ups, it would be unfare to replace gray or che while the team is working so well. While I dont really see southend play as much as most of you, i still think changing a winning team, even if its adding a quality player, is a bad idea, its also unfair.
Sorry, got to disagree with you there. It's all about advancement of the team. When, at any point, we (well, Tilly & Brush) have the opportunity to purchase/loan/get on a free any player better than any current player in the squad, it's imperative they do. Fair & football? Not in my dictionary!

IMHO, we need a left back, centre back and striker as matters of urgency if we're to continue our run for promotion.

And GK, 2 wingers, central midfielder & another striker if we do gain promotion and are serious about STARTING an assault on the Championship.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Jan. 03 2006,13:44)]I have worked out a mathamatcial equiation which works out what we need to get promoted.

P = S + 20 x 3

Its that simple.
is that (s+20) x 3 or S+(20x3) ?

Personally I reckon s+20 would do it

S = swansea.........

I'd have been pleased with 20th at the start of the season, so to be first at New Year is fantastic. I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised with a top two finish, but we really should be aiming for top six now.

Incidentally, the people who a couple of weeks ago were talking about relegation (
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
) have gone a bit quiet eh?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Jan. 03 2006,13:55)]I'd have been pleased with 20th at the start of the season, so to be first at New Year is fantastic. I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised with a top two finish, but we really should be aiming for top six now.

Incidentally, the people who a couple of weeks ago were talking about relegation (
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Here Wiggy, Wiggy, Wiggy. Come out wherever you are

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Jan. 03 2006,13:56)]Incidentally, the people who a couple of weeks ago were talking about relegation (
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

wink.gif
[/QUOTE]
Someone - not Wiggy - reckoned we were on for relegation (shortly after the Bradford game I think) and I asked if he would lay me a bet on Southend staying up. Alas I got no response, I was all ready to fill my boots.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Jan. 03 2006,13:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Jan. 03 2006,13:56)]Incidentally, the people who a couple of weeks ago were talking about relegation (
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

wink.gif
Someone - not Wiggy - reckoned we were on for relegation (shortly after the Bradford game I think) and I asked if he would lay me a bet on Southend staying up. Alas I got no response, I was all ready to fill my boots.....[/QUOTE]
laugh.gif

I would of taken up hat bet as well. Nothing like easy money is there!

Well I am sure Wiggy would of agreed with the said 'supporter' who reckoned we are getting relegated

Back