• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Scannell - Star in the making?

leathers20

First XI
Morning fellow shrimpers,

I havn't made it to any of the pre season games so far this season, but a fulham fan at work said that he was very impressed with Scannell in the friendly game, is he looking good? Will he provide us the wide threat we require? From what ive heard he seems like an absolute steal for 5k, have we got another star in the making?

Though i'm still a little worried about the lack of players in the squad at the moment, and i know there has been the odd shocking buy, paynter etc but tilson does seem to bring in some little gems and i can't really see how anyone can knock the decisions he's made on the transfer front!! i am personally 100% behind t&b and confident that when the start of season comes we will have the players we need!! up the blues!!!! woooo!!!

how much is he worth now, even without a full season?...

which club is going to steal him from us?

Scannell certainly did look very useful against Fulham and Konchesky looked like a complete mug trying to cope with him. He did look very promising on the couple of occasions I saw him last season in the reserves & seems to have strength on the ball, an ability to use both feet, enough pace over a short distance to make himself space & reasonable cross in him.

He does seem to still lack that extra little bit of fitness & IIRC he has recently admitted that he's still blowing after about an hour. Unfortunately he did play on Saturday with his head down too much, unlike Fulham where he seemed aware of the players around him, but to be fair he was getting isolated a lot due to the lack of support he got from Francis.

All in all though at £5k he looks like an embarrassingly good steal, but IMO after the Foran/Paynter/Harrold etc debacles we are due at least one decent result.

Scannell certainly did look very useful against Fulham and Konchesky looked like a complete mug trying to cope with him. He did look very promising on the couple of occasions I saw him last season in the reserves & seems to have strength on the ball, an ability to use both feet, enough pace over a short distance to make himself space & reasonable cross in him.

He does seem to still lack that extra little bit of fitness & IIRC he has recently admitted that he's still blowing after about an hour. Unfortunately he did play on Saturday with his head down too much, unlike Fulham where he seemed aware of the players around him, but to be fair he was getting isolated a lot due to the lack of support he got from Francis.

All in all though at £5k he looks like an embarrassingly good steal, but IMO after the Foran/Paynter/Harrold etc debacles we are due at least one decent result.

Whole-heartedly agree, especially as I was telling Hooly during the Fulham game "I have seen him in the other friendlies and he hugs the touch-line and never cuts inside" and lo and behold at that precise moment he cuts inside Konchesky and spent the rest of the half completely mugging off an ex-England full-back. How bad is that?

Whole-heartedly agree, especially as I was telling Hooly during the Fulham game "I have seen him in the other friendlies and he hugs the touch-line and never cuts inside" and lo and behold at that precise moment he cuts inside Konchesky and spent the rest of the half completely mugging off an ex-England full-back. How bad is that?

Would you care to enlighten us as to what some of our other players never do then? This could be the making of them :)

Scannel was absolute quality against fulham, my man of the match.Makes you wonder how good he is going to be when he gets up to full fitness.

Just hope he can get his fitness up for the season will be a constant threat

Yet against Braintree he looked anonymous. Mind you, so did the other ten!

To be fair there wasn't exactly a lot of movement off of the ball to provide the targets to cross to.

I've been very impressed by what I've seen so far; anyone up at Hartlepool will have seen how Scannel can play more centrally, as well as out wide.

Back