• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scannell

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
Personally I feel that Scannel could be the hidden star in our squad, the lad has some skill but if he can lose a stone and get a string of games together I really feel he could be something special.

What do you guys think?

For such a "solid" player, I'm always surprised he doesn't get stuck in more, unless he doesn't, remembering his sending off at Millwall last year possibly. He does however, use his build well when running with the ball, but as I've said in the Match Report thread, considering he was brought in to give us width yesterday, he didn't really do this for me.

He's a conundrum for sure, considering how long he's been with us now I'd have expected more from him as he's definately had time to "mature".

According to the Sky match summary that was his first goal for us, I'm sure that's not right but delighted for him that he did score.

I was surprised to see him drift in to the middle quiet a lot yesterday, maybe Tilly had told him to but that took one of the best parts of his game out in his runs down the wing. At times yesterday he seemed to just stand and watch a player beat him to the ball and didn't try and challenge or tried to let the ball run past him and it was intercepted and I could understand a few people calling him lazy but after his goal he looked much more up for it. In pre-season he had a regular string of games and in my opinion was our best player, I have always said Tilly should give him a chance but Tilly doesn't want to. At the Leeds game Scannell came on for an injured James Walker in the 30th minute and was the best player on the pitch and caused Leeds loads of problems but then on the Saturday he was back to the bench. I'm worried this might happen again but I think that if we give him a regular run in the side he will only improve and it's worth the risk

I'm not sure about Scannell yet. Yesterday he did nothing until he scored his first for the club. I think he deserves a few games to show us what he's capable of.

According to the Sky match summary that was his first goal for us, I'm sure that's not right but delighted for him that he did score.
It was his first goal for us. Joined in January last year I think and hasn't scored until yesterday, hadn't played that many games either. Look on soccerbase

It was his first goal for us. Joined in January last year I think and hasn't scored until yesterday, hadn't played that many games either. Look on soccerbase

Hadn't looked anywhere Sam, feeling lazy today! Just had a feeling he'd scored in one of his first few games, maybe I'm confusing with pre-season possibly.

I remember that he scored at Billericay in a pre season friendly. Apart from that, it is his first goal in a full 1st team match.

Personally I feel that Scannel could be the hidden star in our squad, the lad has some skill but if he can lose a stone and get a string of games together I really feel he could be something special.

What do you guys think?

if
if
if
if
if........actions speak louder than if's (to mix metaphors)

I'd certainly like to see him be given a run of games to give him a confidence boost and show what he could do for us, and that means in the starting 11, so he does not possibly turn into another Hooper.

Last edited:
I'd certainly like to be given a run of games to give him a confidence boost and show what he could do for us, and that means in the starting 11, so he does not possibly turn into another Hooper.

I don't know how him dropping to the bench so you can have a run of games yourself will have a positive effect on his confidence?! :D

I agree with the comments that at times he let the opposition get to the ball and didnt want it enough. However I've been calling for Scannell to get a run of games for quite some time now. We've played a number of games this season with square pegs in the round hole which is the right wing when we have a fully fit (?) Damian Scannell on the bench. I've never understood this because for me, when DS has come off the bench in 20 minute cameos he has done quite well and looked a threat in possession. It was only a matter of time before he got his first goal coz he does have an eye for goal and knows how to cause panic in defences.

I think he should be given a run of games now, work hard in pre-season to lose a few pounds and give it a real go next season.

Thought he did brilliant today but got a bit frustrated when he took out Kavangah. Nonetheless a great performance and his goal was quite something.

I think Scannell did very little in the match and at times looked lost but he did have one definitive moment when he scored, that is all you need from a wide player during a game just one spark or moment that results in a goal being scored. Too many times over the years we have had wide men who look good for 90 mins and are always heavily involved in the game but time and time again they fail to actually produce anything (Steve Clark, Tommy Black and JCR spring to mind). Im not saying Scannell is definately the answer but give him a run in the side and see what end product comes of it, after all thats what really counts. JCR got two goals and two assists in 60 odd games for us and some people used to rave about him, I for one would bet that with a similar run in the side Scannell could easily notch up at least ten goals and just as many assists. Some players play well for 90 mins but dont actually produce anything of note, Scannell was pretty ordinary for 89 mins yesterday but in that one minute were something came off for him he scored a goal and that is what I think we should be focusing on.

I don't know if anybody knows this, but widemen are not only notoriously in-and-out players, but confidence players as well.

Their main aim is to pick up the ball on the flanks and take on the opponents full back with the aim of putting the ball into the box for the forwards to finish off. If the game is played predominantly in the middle of the park, then they're unlikely to see the ball for most of the game.

You have to have the confidence in your own ability to take on a player with pace and/or trickery, and I think natural wingers suffer with us because we don't have the archetypal "big man in the box" to aim for, causing players to have to adjust there delivery. If you're only starting your third game of the season in March, how are you supposed to build up a level of confidence in front of a rather hostile home crowd with, perhaps far fetched, expectations of making the Play-Offs this year?

Fact of the matter is Scannell had the oppurtunity to score, and took his goal very well... With a prolonged spell in the team you'll see a fitter and more confident Scannell, a player who can have a great impact for us as if there's anything we lack, it's natural width with pace.

I don't know if anybody knows this, but widemen are not only notoriously in-and-out players, but confidence players as well.

Their main aim is to pick up the ball on the flanks and take on the opponents full back with the aim of putting the ball into the box for the forwards to finish off. If the game is played predominantly in the middle of the park, then they're unlikely to see the ball for most of the game.

You have to have the confidence in your own ability to take on a player with pace and/or trickery, and I think natural wingers suffer with us because we don't have the archetypal "big man in the box" to aim for, causing players to have to adjust there delivery. If you're only starting your third game of the season in March, how are you supposed to build up a level of confidence in front of a rather hostile home crowd with, perhaps far fetched, expectations of making the Play-Offs this year?

Fact of the matter is Scannell had the oppurtunity to score, and took his goal very well... With a prolonged spell in the team you'll see a fitter and more confident Scannell, a player who can have a great impact for us as if there's anything we lack, it's natural width with pace.

A very very well taken goal with great composure. I am looking forward to seeing it on Virgin tomorrow. After he had scored, his confidence level went right up. He tried to take 2 players on near the bye-line by their penalty area, an extremely sublime move, which very nearly came off.

To me Scannell is ok when he has the ball in front of him but he doesn't seem that fast and his ball control when receiving a long pass is weak when compared with Francis for example, who traps it very well on the right touchline and drives in a good cross.

When he scored yesterday I said to the bloke next to me, "where did that come from?" as he didn't look as though he was going to do too much let alone score. Last season he came in and the club said that he has to get up to the pace of league football but after a full season with us I don't think he has what we need and wouldn't be surprised if he goes in May.

Scored a great goal yesterday, other than that didn't really contribute much. It's hard to say, he could become a great player, but then he could just sink away into the reserves then sold on to a lower league team.

Back