• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scannell

JCR got two goals and two assists in 60 odd games for us and some people used to rave about him

But what people used to forget is that by drawing two maybe three defenders away from the rest of our team we could exploit the gaps and often did. Does this not count as an assist?

he was toilet, he seems to have no first touch, seems reluctant to run anywhere and needs to shed a few pounds, nice goal though, would love to see him develop but dont see it unfortunately

Sorry but i think he is clueless. Runs about like a headless chicken, never beats anyone and always gets the ball caught under his feet. Was prepared to give him a break when he first came as appreciated he was not a pro-footballler wbut havent seen any improvement in a year.

Besty came on and did more in ten mins that Scanell had in 80 (Baring the goal which he took well). Personally I thought he think he is overweight and out of his depth.

Think it was diffcult with Carlisle having 5 across the midfield. Clearly has talent but has to have a bit more arrogance if you like, more belief, the same can be said for Moussa. Think he might be better away from home where you get more space on the counter attack. WOuld hate to see him be sold in the summer and be another Hooper/Kightly.

Sorry but i think he is clueless. Runs about like a headless chicken, never beats anyone and always gets the ball caught under his feet. Was prepared to give him a break when he first came as appreciated he was not a pro-footballler wbut havent seen any improvement in a year.

Besty came on and did more in ten mins that Scanell had in 80 (Baring the goal which he took well). Personally I thought he think he is overweight and out of his depth.

I thought it would take him a while to get used to professional football because in semi-pro and amateur you get praised for 'running around like a headless chicken'.

I was begining to wonder what Scannell had to do to get a chance of a starting place.Showing a more positive approach and how to take on and beat full backs when appearing as sub against the likes of Leeds,Bristol R,Hereford,etc,he deserves an extended run.Our away supporters more than any know what he is capable of and made their views clear when chanting his name prior to his introduction at Swindon.Even then against a by now highly confident home side he showed he had the beating of their left back.
He now needs a decent run in the side that he perhaps should have got at the begining of the season when he was many blues fans pick as our best pre-season player.
He may well be another Kightly, dont let this one get away!

i personally thought he had lost quite a bit of weight from when i saw him last (scunthorpe away), took his goal well but didn't get much service in the game, mainly because he wasn't out wide and behind 1 or 2 players... not sure if that was because he was hiding/didn't want it, or was just not up to match speed... however he has skill and talent, that is definitely obvious... and now he has a few more games to prove that he deserves a new contract. i think he would be a useful player to hang on to, he was always going to take at least half a season to get used to football league-pace

But what people used to forget is that by drawing two maybe three defenders away from the rest of our team we could exploit the gaps and often did. Does this not count as an assist?

No it doesnt, wide men and forwards will always be judged on goals and assists. Im not saying creating space for others by drawing the attention of defenders isnt an asset but its not enough to justify a place in the side. Im fairly sure Gower used to create space for other people due to his constant threat yet he still managed 8/10 goals and assists a season.

Sometimes we analyse too much. The fact is that Scannell had a fair game and scored his first goal. Francis played as well as he has all season and we looked dangerous down that flank all afternoon. MAYBE this partnership just works - and thats all there is too it. We wont know unless its tried again and what are the chance of that I wonder - over to you Tilly!

he was poor but scored a good goal. Maybe worth another 6 month contract as he's probably not the highest earner at the Club. Who knows, he could become the next Tommy Black........( sorry Andy S ) ;o)

Even with my Rose-Tinteds on, Ihave to admit he didn't exactly set the world alight on Saturday. Lets give him a chance though to grow into the job rather than dismissing him on the back of one or two performances.

He's shown that there's something there; it needs to be nurtured and then exploited.

I think Scannell's performances recently have reflected his team mates inability to play with him as much as his own weaknesses.

In the first place, I thought it was a tad harsh on Betsy dropping him to the bench. He had done well recently and was looking more confident. Obviously we needed freshening up, and I suppose the fact that Scannell has done well when his came on it made it easy for that to be one of the changes.

Anyways, I thought that his goal aside Scannell was pretty poor on Saturday. He tripped over the ball a couple of times, and never really got at his name. Francis put in 2/3 excellent crosses in during open play on Saturday which Scannell should have been doing. He took his goal very well, very composed and a decent finish. Hopefully that will give him a bit of confidence and he can start re-producing his sub appearances.

He still doesn't look fit, looks to be carrying a bit too much weight especially for a winger.

I said after we missed out on promotion last season that Scannell could be a very big player for us this season. With no Gower, we needed somebody to step up on the wings and chip in with goals and assists. I wasn't expecting him to be as good as Gower in those stakes, but I expected him to have 4/5 goals with 7/8 assists, something like that. Unfortunately it hasn't really happened for him, and I think this final few games will decide if Scannell is with us next season.

Its over to you Scannell.

he was poor but scored a good goal. Maybe worth another 6 month contract as he's probably not the highest earner at the Club. Who knows, he could become the next Tommy Black........( sorry Andy S ) ;o)

That is true and he would possibly accept low wages because he wants to keep being a professional footballer and who would blame him!

As you may have seen from my earlier post, i've been a staunch defender of Scannell.

Up until tonight that is. Tonight, for me, he was the sole reason we made such hard work of what really should have been an easy 3 points against weak opposition down to 10 men. Too many times tonight, he drifted inside from his wide position, needlessly complicating the midfield and causing Francis to be exposed to the dangerous Joel Porter.

During the first half, this didn't happen as much as the ball was played largely through the centre of the park between Moussa, Grant and Macca, and Porter was kept quiet by a lack of ingenuity by Hartlepool and the combined duties of Scannell and Francis. After the break, Scannell thought he'd turned into Lionel Messi and had given himself this free role around the park, leaving Francis exposed and, ultimately, doing the job of 2 players. Not only this, but he gave the ball away an awful lot which led to unneeded pressure being placed on the back 4.

I'm not saying Scannell's a bad player, not at all... he showed flashes of brilliance, but these are few and far between and ideally he should've been placed on loan to gain some fitness and sharpness.

As you may have seen from my earlier post, i've been a staunch defender of Scannell.

Up until tonight that is. Tonight, for me, he was the sole reason we made such hard work of what really should have been an easy 3 points against weak opposition down to 10 men. Too many times tonight, he drifted inside from his wide position, needlessly complicating the midfield and causing Francis to be exposed to the dangerous Joel Porter.

During the first half, this didn't happen as much as the ball was played largely through the centre of the park between Moussa, Grant and Macca, and Porter was kept quiet by a lack of ingenuity by Hartlepool and the combined duties of Scannell and Francis. After the break, Scannell thought he'd turned into Lionel Messi and had given himself this free role around the park, leaving Francis exposed and, ultimately, doing the job of 2 players. Not only this, but he gave the ball away an awful lot which led to unneeded pressure being placed on the back 4.

I'm not saying Scannell's a bad player, not at all... he showed flashes of brilliance, but these are few and far between and ideally he should've been placed on loan to gain some fitness and sharpness.
I think Nanna Scannell must of been choosing the man of the match tonight...

I actually thought he played quite well last night against Hartlepool. He was much more confident and committed and lost that I dont know if I belong on this stage look. I was watching him closely as the jury is still out, and he actually ran his guts out and did some neat and accurate passes and looked much more of a threat.

As last week, we were VERY dangerous going down the right. Is it because Scannell drifts inside, allowing Francis space to attack, whose crossing was superb again. Any half decent 'box player' would have had a hatful!

Anyway, for whatever reason, these two work so keep it going!!

Oh yes scannell was a bit of a pr*at with the pen tho!!

Back