• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scunthorpe United

Scunthorpe really splashed the cash in the summer as well. Lots of players who it was a surprise to see them drop that far down. They seemed to be trying to do a Wrexham from NL North.

I know we have our own house to sort out too, but has anyone from the @Shrimperstrust reached out to the Scunny trust? See if anything we can do to help?

I'd imagine they have a very cautionary tale around getting excited about new ownership though.

Last edited:
Sound familiar?

If I didn’t feel so sorry for ourselves I’d be ploughing my support into the Scunny cause.

Gets even more ridiculous as they haven’t asked Gainsborough if they can groundshare 🤦🏼

Shocking state of affairs, now having to leave Glanford Park and play their home games at Gainsborough Trinity will all funding being withdrawn from owner / chairman.

An 'external company' coming in to sort debts. Not sounding good. Hopefully they get their knight in shining armour too. Arguably in a worse position than us.

Since that statement, Gainsborough have come out and said they know nothing about it.

Since that statement, Gainsborough have come out and said they know nothing about it.
I saw that too - awful situation, hope it gets sorted soon. I wouldn't wish our situation on any club

Another set of fans going through the mill on down to bad owners, they'll no doubt be another club just just us and Scunny just round the corner.

Sound familiar?

They are seriously in Pheonix club territory. Hard to see how they come through this. I mean our demise has been spectacular but poor old Scunny are in an even worse position. How they ever let that bloke near their club is truly shocking.

They are seriously in Pheonix club territory. Hard to see how they come through this. I mean our demise has been spectacular but poor old Scunny are in an even worse position. How they ever let that bloke near their club is truly shocking.
They didn't even get permission to play at Gainsborough so they are even more screwed...

If you research it you'll find that one of their biggest problems wasn't the new owner, it was the old. He got them in this mess. The new club owner hasn't got the funds to rescue them. The previous owner, Peter Swann, still owns the ground through his family company and charges rent that the club can't pay. Its the previous owner who is refusing to let them play at the stadium anymore and won't discuss it with them until they have vacated the premises. Oh did I mention the previous owner of the club, and still owner of the ground, is a property developer ?. 🤔 There's a very interesting statement made about a week ago by their new chairman outlining the situation and he goes into great detail about costs etc and cutbacks he's had to make. Interestingly we can learn alot from the mistakes he made. Namely we make sure Ron no longer owns our stadium a la Swann, and we don't immediately increase the clubs wage bill by buying 11 extra players like Scunny, did following the lifting of their embargo that the new chairman got them out of.

This serves as a timely reminder that if we go bust, Ron goes bust - which is why he always pays the money right at the end - he can't afford the club to fail. Clown though he is, we have some shared interest.
What he wants is to extract himself from the club, but keep his property deal at Fossets Farm - and if he manages this we need to be very careful that whoever comes in has sufficient nous to keep us afloat.
Like Bury and like Scunthorpe, the real problem may arise when a novice is left holding the baby.

If you research it you'll find that one of their biggest problems wasn't the new owner, it was the old. He got them in this mess. The new club owner hasn't got the funds to rescue them. The previous owner, Peter Swann, still owns the ground through his family company and charges rent that the club can't pay. Its the previous owner who is refusing to let them play at the stadium anymore and won't discuss it with them until they have vacated the premises. Oh did I mention the previous owner of the club, and still owner of the ground, is a property developer ?. 🤔 There's a very interesting statement made about a week ago by their new chairman outlining the situation and he goes into great detail about costs etc and cutbacks he's had to make. Interestingly we can learn alot from the mistakes he made. Namely we make sure Ron no longer owns our stadium a la Swann, and we don't immediately increase the clubs wage bill by buying 11 extra players like Scunny, did following the lifting of their embargo that the new chairman got them out of.
Absolutely what the fans are going through at Scunthorpe must not happen to Southend and ultimately anywhere else.Its about time the FA carried out proper investigations into all financial matters rather than sit on their hands and do very little

Interesting parallels with Oxford United

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-60109565

Absolutely what the fans are going through at Scunthorpe must not happen to Southend and ultimately anywhere else.Its about time the FA carried out proper investigations into all financial matters rather than sit on their hands and do very little

Hilton has even alluded to the fact that his application to the FA (fit and proper persons questionnaire, I guess) doesn't ask the actual question "Have you served any convictions and if so then what was the nature of them?" (Fraud in his case I believe) Appears to me that the Football bodies don't even ask the right questions. It's all well and good working on a Govt White Paper but all the time it takes to finalise it, imposed requirements, and implement them, these misdemeanours will continue. And that's only addressing "new" owners. I don't know how they can address bad "current" owners. 🤷‍♂️ Shocking !!

I was at Glanford Park on Tuesday taking the family to Pizza-hut, the gates were closed with loads of warning signs on them.

If Gainsborough can't ground share Brigg Town might be an option, not a good one but it might keep the club going for a little bit.

Quite frankly they are in a much worse position than last season. I hope they get through this but I can't see their owners fighting the winding up order.

Not wanting to be an opportunist, but if we come out of an embargo are any of their players worth looking at?

Back in April we were in East Yorkshire & went to Beverley Market on the Sat, & had radio Humberside sport on. They were at Scunthorpe discussing the relegation etc, but were hopeful of a swift return to the F.L as the new owner had given positive vibes about their forward plans etc.
Fast forward 5 1/2 months, dear me what a shocking situation they are in?. Their future seems more precarious than ours.

Back