• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That's one of the maddest things I've read on here ever.

Why is it? He has a top quality technique and the ones we have scored from have been put in with pace, accuracy, whip and purpose. But far too many times he just floats the ball in the box so the keeper has plenty of time to read and judge the flight of the ball. He also sometimes struggles to beat the first man from a corner which has to be one of the most frustrating things to watch in football.

I can't remember the last time we had a season when people weren't moaning about set pieces.

Set pieces should be judged by the number of times someone gets it right, not how often they get it wrong because I don't care if someone does hit the first man 90% of the time, if we're scoring from the other 10% of the time.

A big problem last game was the lack of targets not called Cresswell to aim for.

Watch us improve once BBBC and Mark Phillips are back.

I can't remember the last time we had a season when people weren't moaning about set pieces.

Set pieces should be judged by the number of times someone gets it right, not how often they get it wrong because I don't care if someone does hit the first man 90% of the time, if we're scoring from the other 10% of the time.

A big problem last game was the lack of targets not called Cresswell to aim for.

Watch us improve once BBBC and Mark Phillips are back.

Agree with this fully

it does annoy me how a professional footballer cant put in a good corner at least 75% of the time but i havent been too upset by hursts corners etc, as for switching it up i agree that leonard or martin or timlin are the only real other options (unless woodyard has an unknown talent)

I've been saying how frustrating his corners and free-kicks are all season. he can put in a decent cross but he's not consistant enough and his crosses always go long and high passed the back post and are usually right on the line making it quite difficult to do anything with. Don't get me wrong not all his crosses are wrong but he really needs to work on what areas he's putting the ball into. The keeper seems to win them all the time so this definately needs work, we are lucky to have players like cresswell, phillips and barker who can all win headers

I think Southends next signing should be an above average sports psychologist. First there is the matter of those that apparently find it difficult to play at RH and then there is the play. We know that these players can turn it on but the majority of times we are baffled by the lack of vision for a penetrating ball, poor execution or choice in the final third and very questionable deadball play. Yes we are lg 2 but often the very fundamental tasks are seemingly too difficult. Personally I think it is indecision. If a winger bombs down the line and then muffs his cross, well that's fair enough, its a technical skill at pace but when a player has time as in a deadball situation there is far less excuse. But it is not just the deliverer. Sometimes he gets it right and is made to look bad because the receivers have their own indecision/poor judgement. Adding to that more times than not the target from the deadball is one of our own defenders because they are bigger lads and if they had scoring prowess they would be strikers. So all in all, get a damn good shrink in and make average players into better ones.

it does annoy me how a professional footballer cant put in a good corner at least 75% of the time but i havent been too upset by hursts corners etc, as for switching it up i agree that leonard or martin or timlin are the only real other options (unless woodyard has an unknown talent)

Yes, he could be conservative and float in a cross that's easy to defend but is guaranteed not to hit the first man or go straight to the keeper.

OR

He could go for a delivery with a smaller margin for error that if he gets right there's a really good chance of it leading to a goal but if he gets it wrong will annoy you.

Which option would you prefer?

It was only really Saturday that his delivery wasn't that good. He's been quite good.

I agree, but when they're not so good there's no Plan B. We were crying out for a couple of outswingers on Saturday. Get Barker on them I say.

Back