• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
Does anyone else see the similarity in the team that Tilly is putting together and the one DW had that got us promoted twice?

Both teams play 4-4-2 with two orthadox wingers and two ball winners in the middle, and two full backs prepared to go on over laps to help the wingers out. We also have simillar players:-

For Benjy read The Goat
For Angell read Gray
(But we also have Eastwood and Lawson)
For Andy Ansah and Tilly read Gower, Cole, JCR,
For Butler, Cornwell and Martin read Petts, Gutts, Maher, Bentley and Smith.
For Austin and Powell read Che, Jupp and Hunt.
For Spinner, Edwards and Clark, read Spinner Edwards and Barrett!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For Spinner, Edwards and Clark, read Spinner Edwards and Barrett!
well you know what Meat Loaf said..... 2 out of 3 aint bad
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Sep. 13 2005,16:06)]Does anyone else see the similarity in the team that Tilly is putting together and the one DW had that got us promoted twice?
Have been saying it for months, Tilson clearly learnt an awful lot under Webb and IMHO there is no better role model.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Sep. 13 2005,16:06)]For Austin and Powell read Che, Jupp and Hunt.
And therein lies our current weakness. Not even the chief fan in the Che Wilson fanclub (*see below) would suggest that Che is even fit to tie Sir Chrissy's boots...

oops.gif

Besides, how many more "miles on the clock" have Spinner & the Eagle got left in them? I also think comparing Wayne Gray with Oooh Bretty Angell is stretching it. Don't forget, Angell bagged something like 26 goals in our promotion season. I'd be amazed if Wayne managed that number.

Finally, I presume that the correct decision not even to attempt to compare Darryl & Sammy was an entirely deliberate omission on your part...

wink.gif

Matt

* aka Leeboy

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Sep. 13 2005,16:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Sep. 13 2005,16:06)]For Austin and Powell read Che, Jupp and Hunt.
Can certainly see the similarities, and very well spotted, but that one is stretching it a bit!
wink.gif
Even with three for two we're shortchanged on that one I'm afraid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 13 2005,16:24)]Finally, I presume that the correct decision not even to attempt to compare Darryl & Sammy was an entirely deliberate omission on your part...
I'm a big fan of Darryl's, but yes, he's not even close to being as good as Sammy. But then, Royce apart, who is?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Sep. 13 2005,16:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 13 2005,16:24)]Finally, I presume that the correct decision not even to attempt to compare Darryl & Sammy was an entirely deliberate omission on your part...
I'm a big fan of Darryl's, but yes, he's not even close to being as good as Sammy. But then, Royce apart, who is?
Although Royce was good, well pretty awesome he was never more than a leage 1/Division 2 player. Don't get me wrong, at that level he was awesome, but when he attempted the step-up he wasn't that successful.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Sep. 13 2005,16:11)]
[b said:
Can certainly see the similarities, and very well spotted, but that one is stretching it a bit!
wink.gif
It's not so much the ability, it's the style of play I was referring to. I'd agree that Austin and Powell are/were head and shoulders above those three.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish Fingers @ Sep. 13 2005,16:58)]
[b said:
[b said:
Although Royce was good, well pretty awesome he was never more than a leage 1/Division 2 player. Don't get me wrong, at that level he was awesome, but when he attempted the step-up he wasn't that successful.
In 95/96 when he won our PotY he was absolutely magnificent and was being courted for £1m moves to Liverpool and West Ham, that was the greatest goalkeeping season I've seen from a Blues no. 1 in my lifetime (and that includes Sammy) - how can you call Roycey a "L1/Division 2" player, he was the best keeper in the "old" Division One that season!

rock.gif

[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
Royce was a fantastic keeper. And a lovely guy as well. Was going to be my next door neighbour before Leicester cam calling. He was never given a fair chance in the Premier$hite but when he did get a chance he did take it but was then dropped. I remember he started the first game of a season for Charlton and was awesome but then they signed Keily and he was dropped. He is a true Southend legend and a great keeper. Still remember the Roycie chants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Sep. 13 2005,17:04)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
In 95/96 when he won our PotY he was absolutely magnificent and was being courted for £1m moves to Liverpool and West Ham, that was the greatest goalkeeping season I've seen from a Blues no. 1 in my lifetime (and that includes Sammy) - how can you call Roycey a "L1/Division 2" player, he was the best keeper in the "old" Division One that season!

rock.gif
I was not arguing with the legend of Royce. His team spirit and dedication to the team was immense. Yes agreed 95/96 he was superb, but what happened in 96/97... kind of went downhill from there. You could argue the quality of the team, fair enough, but I'm just going on thr facts. Isn't he with QPR now?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Sep. 13 2005,17:11)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
Royce was a fantastic keeper. And a lovely guy as well. Was going to be my next door neighbour before Leicester cam calling. He was never given a fair chance in the Premier$hite but when he did get a chance he did take it but was then dropped. I remember he started the first game of a season for Charlton and was awesome but then they signed Keily and he was dropped. He is a true Southend legend and a great keeper. Still remember the Roycie chants.
Think you find Royce went from Southend to Charlton in 1998 before signing to leicester in July 2000. Looks like we have a porky teller!

rock.gif
biggrin.gif
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish Fingers @ Sep. 13 2005,17:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Sep. 13 2005,17:04)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

rock.gif
I was not arguing with the legend of Royce. His team spirit and dedication to the team was immense. Yes agreed 95/96 he was superb, but what happened in 96/97... kind of went downhill from there. You could argue the quality of the team, fair enough, but I'm just going on thr facts. Isn't he with QPR now?
See where you're coming from; in six and a half years after he left us he made less than 50 league starts in the "upper echelons". A bit of a waste really as he was/is a fine keeper. No comparison with the present incumbent.

Been pretty much a regular with QPR since the turn of the year and playing okay.

Back