• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 13 2005,16:24)]Don't forget, Angell bagged something like 26 goals in our promotion season.  I'd be amazed if Wayne managed that number.
I believe only 15 of Angel's goal were in the league - not particularly spectacular. Gray's more than capable of getting that many.

In 90/91 5 players all got to, or very close to, 10 league goals (Angell, Benji, Ansah, Tilson and Martin). We were not the one man show that a headline of "26 goals" would lead you to believe.

Chris Powell V Cheese Wilson
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

In terms of style and making no comment about ability

Austin=Jupp
Powell=Hunt
Prior=Prior
Barrett=Clark
Martin=Bentley
Butler=Pettefer
Ansah=Campbell-Ryce?
Angell=Goater

I think Tilly is starting to move away from the Webb model. The Webb model got us promoted last season, this year is seeing a more expansive style of game with more emphasis on using the ball than winning it. Webby didn't play with two out and out wingers but rather a winger and a wide midfielder.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Sep. 13 2005,16:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 13 2005,16:24)]Finally, I presume that the correct decision not even to attempt to compare Darryl & Sammy was an entirely deliberate omission on your part...
I'm a big fan of Darryl's, but yes, he's not even close to being as good as Sammy. But then, Royce apart, who is?
Cawston was better than either!

Doesn't Roycie still hold the record for the most successive clean sheets in the Prem? Or has that changed now?

He never got a decent enough crack at the whip in my eyes. If Charlton had have kept faith with him, he'd have been their No1 for the last few years instead of Kiely no doubt. Watching him play out of his skin for QPR against Wolves it made me realise what a shame it was Charlton nicked him off us 3 years ago at the last second. Flavs is a very good keeper but Roycie would've just had that bit extra. Wouldn't have been a bad No1 & No2 choice for us.
cool.gif
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ Sep. 13 2005,19:31)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 13 2005,16:24)]Finally, I presume that the correct decision not even to attempt to compare Darryl & Sammy was an entirely deliberate omission on your part...
I'm a big fan of Darryl's, but yes, he's not even close to being as good as Sammy. But then, Royce apart, who is?
Before my time...

unclesam.gif
tounge.gif

Sammy is still the best goalie I've ever seen in a Southend shirt...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Sep. 13 2005,16:06)]Does anyone else see the similarity in the team that Tilly is putting together and the one DW had that got us promoted twice?

Both teams play 4-4-2 with two orthadox wingers and two ball winners in the middle, and two full backs prepared to go on over laps to help the wingers out. We also have simillar players:-

For Benjy read The Goat
For Angell read Gray
(But we also have Eastwood and Lawson)
For Andy Ansah and Tilly read Gower, Cole, JCR,
For Butler, Cornwell and Martin read Petts, Gutts, Maher, Bentley and Smith.
For Austin and Powell read Che, Jupp and Hunt.
For Spinner, Edwards and Clark, read Spinner Edwards and Barrett!
But we didnt use anything like authordox wingers last season

Wilson doesnt overlap

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 13 2005,16:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Sep. 13 2005,16:06)]For Austin and Powell read Che, Jupp and Hunt.
And therein lies our current weakness.  Not even the chief fan in the Che Wilson fanclub (*see below) would suggest that Che is even fit to tie Sir Chrissy's boots...

oops.gif

Besides, how many more "miles on the clock" have Spinner & the Eagle got left in them?  I also think comparing Wayne Gray with Oooh Bretty Angell is stretching it.  Don't forget, Angell bagged something like 26 goals in our promotion season.  I'd be amazed if Wayne managed that number.

Finally, I presume that the correct decision not even to attempt to compare Darryl & Sammy was an entirely deliberate omission on your part...

wink.gif

Matt

* aka Leeboy

tounge.gif
thank f%&k for you matt, I couldnt have written that better myself

cockles

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Sep. 13 2005,17:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish Fingers @ Sep. 13 2005,16:58)]
[b said:
[b said:
Although Royce was good, well pretty awesome he was never more than a leage 1/Division 2 player. Don't get me wrong, at that level he was awesome, but when he attempted the step-up he wasn't that successful.
Royce was a fantastic keeper. And a lovely guy as well. Was going to be my next door neighbour before Leicester cam calling. He was never given a fair chance in the Premier$hite but when he did get a chance he did take it but was then dropped. I remember he started the first game of a season for Charlton and was awesome but then they signed Keily and he was dropped. He is a true Southend legend and a great keeper. Still remember the Roycie chants.
wow wasnt it insperational,
roycie
roycie
roycie.........

nearly as good as
sammy
sammy
sammy

Surely comparisons with the great Webby side can wait untill/if the current side matches their achievements and gets back to back promotions? Let's just enjoy the success we are having.

I do feel however that Tilly certainly took a lot from Webby's style of team building - although I don't feel he has the same style of management (the players who played under Webb were s%&t scared of him by all accounts, Tilly looks a bit too laid back for that).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ Sep. 13 2005,21:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ Sep. 13 2005,20:43)]roycie
roycie
roycie.........

nearly as good as
sammy
sammy
sammy
But neither as good as Mervyn, Mervyn, Mervyn!
It all brings a tear to me eye.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ Sep. 13 2005,19:31)]
[b said:
[b said:
Cawston was (and still is) my favourite Southend 'keeper, but he didn't play in the 1st Division, Royce and Sammy did.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 13 2005,17:45)]In terms of style and making no comment about ability

Austin=Jupp
Powell=Hunt
Prior=Prior
Barrett=Clark
Martin=Bentley
Butler=Pettefer
Ansah=Campbell-Ryce?
Angell=Goater

I think Tilly is starting to move away from the Webb model. The Webb model got us promoted last season, this year is seeing a more expansive style of game with more emphasis on using the ball than winning it. Webby didn't play with two out and out wingers but rather a winger and a wide midfielder.
Agree with some but Butler and Petts? Not sure about that one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Sep. 13 2005,20:50)]it's obvious Tilly learned a lot from Webby, but the flip side is how much did he learn from Fat Jeff King
rock.gif

oops.gif
He learnt to stay out of MacDonalds.

Going to the goal keeping argument, I have seen them all from the 60's up to date.

The best keeper we have ever had was John Burridge (but he was only on loan). Mervyn Cawston was a terrific keeper closely followed by Malclom Webster, but overall Sammy would get my vote.

No disrespect to Daryl or Bart but I wish we could unearth another Sammy or Cawston for that matter.

the best keeper we ever had for shot stopping, crosses and 1 on 1 situations IMHO was Neil Freeman

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Sep. 13 2005,16:06)]Does anyone else see the similarity in the team that Tilly is putting together and the one DW had that got us promoted twice?

Both teams play 4-4-2 with two orthadox wingers and two ball winners in the middle, and two full backs prepared to go on over laps to help the wingers out. We also have simillar players:-

For Benjy read The Goat
For Angell read Gray
Spot on my man!!!

Also what about Darryl?? He is as good as super Sammy!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 14 2005,13:32)]
[b said:

For Benjy read The Goat
For Angell read Gray
Spot on my man!!!

Also what about Darryl??  He is as good as super Sammy!!!
Jeez
rock.gif

Back