• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shall i,shan't i,YOU be judge and jury....

Shall i,shan't i,YOU be judge and jury....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sean 2

Director
Ok,here's my conondrum.

The wife is flitting off to Spain next weekend for a beano with the girls and having obviously checked the fixtures i am now aware we are at home to Rochdale in the cup.

Now,as it stands,i have to look after my 3yr old twins,boy and girl BTW.
The question i'd like to put to the SZ massive is should i take advantage of the "kids for a quid" offer and take them along for their first live game or play safe by staying at home?

Obviously there are issues to be dealt with.Thankfully they are toilet trained but if one child needs to go then they will both have to come with me.I can imagine lots of "excuse me,sorry" as we clamber through the aisles of the East stand each time.

Will my daughter moan about football once the game begins? She won't let me watch it on the telly at home (thank heavens for SKY multiroom),although the occasion will probably keep her amused with all those people around us she'll be wondering what the hell is going on!

My boy is a very active little chap and sitting or standing in one place for 90mins could prove difficult,though once again he'll probably be people watching.

So,make your choice above and/or leave a comment.I especially want to hear from those dads out there,naturally.

Personally,my gut feeling is take them to be initiated at the home of football,i'll just need the balls the size of footballs and the patience of a saint.

Thanks for your help.

Have to introduce them some day mate, or one day they may come home from school and announce they support Man Ure/Chelski/Wet Spam/ARSEnal or god forbid, Col Ewe! :(

Took my 4 year old to the Vitesse Arnhem friendly for this first game...

A bad move really, as it was an evening game, and he was dog tired. We got there about an hour prior to kick off so I could park close enough that he would be able to walk without moaning it was too far...

Which meant a long time in the stadium before kick off.

Cue the questions..

Who are they?
What does that do?
Can I play on the grass?

So on and so on!!

A couple of drinks later and he needs the loo every 5 minutes.
Then the game kicks off and within minutes he is bored and wants to go home. Try the usual tricks of tell me when someone in Blue has the ball, ball comes near us etc etc, which lasts 5 mins. He then lays on my lap, falls asleep. Half time comes, I need a pee, but waking him up would mean him being cold, grumpy and wanting to go home.
15 mins into the 2nd half he does just that, has a paddy, wants his bed (lets face it by 9pm it's 2 hours past his bedtime!) So I give and take him home.

The Moral.... GO FOR IT!

Although I personally have no kids and the only ones I like are the kind you can give back after 10 minutes of nose hair pulling and ramming inanimate objects in the DVD drawer I have to say take them. You are undoubtedly going to run the gauntlet of those around you who are not quite so understanding of your predicament but it is I'm afraid something that has to be endured.

The one and only time I've been brave enough was to take my nephew to a game and I spent the whole 90 minutes answering such questions as 'why is he wearing black' and 'Why has that man got a flag'.

Your a braver man that I Shrimp and I salute you. Should you come out of this ordeal unscathed and with two new recruits to the cause then copious amounts of green will be winging it's way to you.;)

Took my 4 year old to the Vitesse Arnhem friendly for this first game...

A bad move really, as it was an evening game, and he was dog tired. We got there about an hour prior to kick off so I could park close enough that he would be able to walk without moaning it was too far...

Which meant a long time in the stadium before kick off.

Cue the questions..

Who are they?
What does that do?
Can I play on the grass?

So on and so on!!

A couple of drinks later and he needs the loo every 5 minutes.
Then the game kicks off and within minutes he is bored and wants to go home. Try the usual tricks of tell me when someone in Blue has the ball, ball comes near us etc etc, which lasts 5 mins. He then lays on my lap, falls asleep. Half time comes, I need a pee, but waking him up would mean him being cold, grumpy and wanting to go home.
15 mins into the 2nd half he does just that, has a paddy, wants his bed (lets face it by 9pm it's 2 hours past his bedtime!) So I give and take him home.

The Moral.... GO FOR IT!

Ha ha,i like how after all that happened i can tell you'd do it all again!
It's like,all these things are sent to try us but at the end of the day are us dads just gonna leave the kids stuck indoors every given hour? 'Course not!

D62SUBOY-Sod the ones around me! Well,to a certain point anyway.
Knowing the seasos near me they will probably make a fuss of them.
Perhaps if i take some sweeties this will ensure order!

Ha ha,i like how after all that happened i can tell you'd do it all again!
It's like,all these things are sent to try us but at the end of the day are us dads just gonna leave the kids stuck indoors every given hour? 'Course not!

I will defo take him again soon, tho it will be a Saturday game, I'll get there a bit later and walk a bit further, even if it means a shoulder carry (for him, not me), 1 drink and that is it so hopefully only 1 or maybe 2 toilet trips.

Sorted!!!

Perhaps if i take some sweeties this will ensure order!

I was just about to suggest bribery!! It's one trick i used to use when doing a bit of babysitting for a friend of my aunt a few years back to earn a few bob...how about you give the kids some sort of incentive to get through the game - like a trip to mcdonalds or something like that after the match if they behave good? And for during the match carry some sweets and the like to keep them occupied if they get tired of whats happening on the field...Always worked well for me and may be worth a try (although a devious tactic it is :D )

I was just about to suggest bribery!! It's one trick i used to use when doing a bit of babysitting for a friend of my aunt a few years back to earn a few bob...how about you give the kids some sort of incentive to get through the game - like a trip to mcdonalds or something like that after the match if they behave good? And for during the match carry some sweets and the like to keep them occupied if they get tired of whats happening on the field...Always worked well for me and may be worth a try (although a devious tactic it is :D )

Just make sure the sweets don't contain lots of additives and E numbers, or they will go wild and you will stand no chance of managing them lol

Hadn't thought of that actually Dave!! I wonder would the incentive of a nice apple keep the kids quiet :p

If they watch Lazytown, call it sportscandy and they will know that Sportacus eats apples to make him a superhero and be able to save everybody...Always a winner that.

( I am clearly spending too much time watching Lazytown), damn that Robbie Rotten...But on the upside, Stephanie is a bit of a hottie (she is played by a 16 year old, so just legal!!)

You go buy some cheap colouring and sticker books, take a picnic and introduce an incentive.

When I first started taking my son, I said he could have a packet of football cards but if the bloke wearing number 23 scored he could have 3 packs for every goal. Ended up costing me a fortune, but my son soon had his first hero.

Freddy, we both sur miss you!

Perhaps I'm being a bit curmudgeonly / old fashioned... but isn't 3 yrs old a bit young to keep them in one place, outside, in the cold for 2 hours...?

You could put 'em off for life!

I took my little sis to Roots Hall as a 6 year old, and she loved it. 5-6 year olds would surely love the experience - the noise, the atmosphere, the action, the singing...

But 3 yrs old... and twins?

I love the Cup, but surely that's stretching it a bit...?

Matt

Why not. Just wrap them up warm.

Oh, and I'm glad you left off executioner in the title when talking about your kids!

Second 'Oh', just don't let them kick the seats in front. That's possibly the most annoying thing I've ever experienced but I didn't want to say anything for fear of ruining the day!

Back