• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
Shaun Goater is now a free agent, it appears...

I'm Free!

Now, I thought I'd read a quote from Tilly somewhere saying that we couldn't sign him because he was needed at Reading - so why would Coppell tell him that?

Another source said Goater didn't want to drop down from the Championship - but surely it's worth Tilly trying, as there might not be any clubs in the Championship who want to make a move on him by now?

rock.gif

I hope Tilly allows Goater to savour his freedom and let it pass into a retirement. Not the man for me as in terms of The Blues. Some I am sure will disagree but there you have it.
rock.gif

Goater reportedly asked for 6800pw according to a quote on here earlier.

Even now he doesn't have a club I can't see him going much below 4k. Still well out of our price range.

Plus he doesn't fit in with the type of players Tilly has been assembling. Local players who'll play with pride in the shirt. Or experiencd players he has played with who he knows have the right mentality to come and play for Southend eg Spinner.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ July 27 2005,11:10)]Plus he doesn't fit in with the type of players Tilly has been assembling. Local players who'll play with pride in the shirt. Or experiencd players he has played with who he knows have the right mentality to come and play for Southend eg Spinner.
Yes, but surely there's only a limited number of players that fit into those two categories? Surely we have to look for players outside of those parameters as well?

It has been recorded before that Reading would have to pay £50,000 to Man City when Goater played 50 games. He has been stuck on 49 since early this year and it is plain that Reading were not going to cough the necessary nelson's.

It was also stated that Goater wanted to stay in the championship, it does not appear that many clubs are falling over themselves to sign him. Therefore he may have to set his sights lower. The Echo and the web site carried a story around 10 days ago that Tilly had tried for Goater. Therefore that would seem to indicate that he does fit Tilly's profile for a player.

Personally i think Goater would be a good short term signing for us, goals go in from all angles with him. Also he is a proven goal scorer at all levels he has played at.

One thing i am sure is certain that someone will snap him up.

Shaun Goater is better than Les Ferdinand.

I'd have him in a second to partner Freddy upfront, that would be some strike force. We all know about Freddy, but Goater is an extremely prolific stirker, who is proven at every level his played at, his good in the air and brings others into play by holding the ball up and laying it off.

IF we were to sign him, and he clicked with Freddy, it would be mouthwatering, what with Cole and Gower, Guttridge, Maher, Bentley, Pettefer and Smith providing the amunition.

I think he would be pretty useful, but if I was Tilson, I would have to be sure his heart was in a move to Southend United, for us to sign him.

How would the terms of his Reading contract affect us!!! any ideas chaps?

Doubt they'd affect us at all to be honest. The deal was between Manchester City and Reading. Reading have terminated his contract and he is free to join any club he wants. If he were to go back to Reading and play that one more match, then they'd have to stump up the £50K. If he plays for anyone else, e.g. Southend United, we don't have to pay a penny to anyone.

Weren't Spinner & Goater mates at Man City?

If so, perhaps Spencer can sell the club to SG & we could sign him on a short-term basis so he can a) do us a job whilst around & b) put himself in the shop window.

Not an ideal situation but preferable to just having Freddy & Wayne!

I'm a bit undecided with Goater, he's the wrong side of 35 (as is Ferdinand) and whilst he is a proven goalscorer there's nothing to say he'll still put them away like he used to. At best it'll be be a one-season fix.
We probably can't afford his wages anyway, though, even if he does drop a division.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ July 27 2005,12:46)]I'm a bit undecided with Goater, he's the wrong side of 35 (as is Ferdinand) and whilst he is a proven goalscorer there's nothing to say he'll still put them away like he used to. At best it'll be be a one-season fix.
We probably can't afford his wages anyway, though, even if he does drop a division.
Even if he is only a quick fix it would still help the Club out at a desperate time. We need another forward, maybe even two and we are struggling to get one in at the present.

If Goater was to come in for a season, it would suit everyone. SUFC get a forward for the season, Shaun gets another Club and a weekly wage and the fans see a "high profile" player join the Club.

Now with the rumours of Dennis Oli coming in as well, Shaun could provide the experience, and now how that'll help Freddy, Oli and Gray improve their games.

Sounds as though we can now pick him up on the relative cheap.

If he was previously asking for £6,800 pw while still contracted to Reading, this must have been what he was on there otherwise there was no point in moving (assuming he's only interested in the money).

No one over the summer break has been prepared to him £6,800 pw hence the compromise deal to leave Reading.  He should have got a decent pay off from Reading.  This coupled with now being out of work should mean he's available for less than £2k a week.

Tilly, pick up the phone!

Personally I'd take Ferdinand over him, but that said if we got goater it would be a good signing.

But I wouldn't want either of them if they were asking for excessive wages. They're both good players who could do a job for us but neither deserve to be the top wage earner at the club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ July 27 2005,11:06)]Shaun Goater is now a free agent, it appears...

I'm Free!

Now, I thought I'd read a quote from Tilly somewhere saying that we couldn't sign him because he was needed at Reading - so why would Coppell tell him that?

Another source said Goater didn't want to drop down from the Championship - but surely it's worth Tilly trying, as there might not be any clubs in the Championship who want to make a move on him by now?

rock.gif
We would not sign him because he still believe he was good enough for the championship, not because he was needed at reading

Back