• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shaun Thorton

I thought McCormack was quite cute for the sending off, seeing as he did it behind the referee's back. He was unfortunate that the referee only needed to see Thornton on the ground in order to give a yellow card or free-kick.

And indeed McCormack deserves credit for pulling 'out' of the challenge that he knew may get him another booking. The more I dwell on this incident the more it makes my blood boil...

Time to move on.

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Blue
I thought McCormack was quite cute

So do I!!

Come on, you know you want to join!

freewebs.com/southendhomosexualsupportersclub

Thornton himself was mighty pleased, as he had been receiving harsh treatment from the Southend midfield as well as their fans.

The ex-Doncaster man was to anger the home support again on 60 minutes. Thornton played the ball to Chambers and was cruelly taken down by Shrimpers midfielder Allan McCormack. It was a horrible late challenge. The ex-Orientloanee had already been booked and was duly shown a second yellow.

From the Orient vitalfootball site. It reads like he actually believes it.

What a chump!

As much as I hate to say it, I think that Tilson has a large portion of blame in the defeat. Where I was sitting, we all said that Macormack was going to get sent off. We could all see it coming - and then it did. As a manager I would expect Tilson to spot this and take control, he shouldve took Macca off after his first yellow. He was completely riled up after the first booking and it was almost inevitable that he would end up getting sent off.

Yes Thornton was a cheating bar steward but we cant lay all blame to him, Macca was clearly fuming and it wasnt best to have him on the pitch. Tilson needs to start taking more of a control, afterall he is the manager! Its all about good management and sometimes it seems all Tilson does is lean against that wall and spectate like the rest of us! Not to mention his late substitutes - as per usual. Dont get me wrong I think Tilson is a legend and has taken the club so far, but he needs to start being a bit tougher and making better decisions during the game.

agreed Southend Lady - 9000 odd people could see that Harrold was absolutely fecked after 70 mins bar 2 - Tilly & Brush.

Also, when you're 2-1 down at home with 10 men, you may as well go for broke and shove Barrett or Clarke up front for the last 10 / 15 minutes.

As much as I hate to say it, I think that Tilson has a large portion of blame in the defeat. Where I was sitting, we all said that Macormack was going to get sent off. We could all see it coming - and then it did. As a manager I would expect Tilson to spot this and take control, he shouldve took Macca off after his first yellow. He was completely riled up after the first booking and it was almost inevitable that he would end up getting sent off.

If we take McCormack off every time he gets a first half yellow card then we're not going to get much football out of him this season. I said at the time that he was going toget sent off any minute but I think I probably say that every time he gets booked early on. With hindsight of course Tilly should have taken him off but he's possibly our best player and we're undoubtably a weaker side without him.

It was at that time when the ref done the unbelievable waving that red about,that Tilly should've stuck on Macdonald to run accross their back four as poor Matty H looked on his last legs.
Also with half-hour left,take off the perrennial hot weather struggler Marky G to give a decent runabout to Tommy Boy.

The one lad who could have made a difference in a scenario as that on Saturday? ....Peggy! I bet he would have chased that attacker harder when JCR lost the ball than say Bailey,who just stood there.

I would like to see players like Thornton charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Football is a contact sport and anybody who as ever played it be it for Fox and Ferret on a Sunday morning or Man Utd will know there are times when you can ride a tackle and stay on your feet or go to ground to gain a free kick advantage. Thorntons tatics were neither of these but one of cynical play acting designed to get an opponent sent off and should be seen as not complying with the spirit of the game. A player like him should be watched by the Fa and eviedence gathered to stamp out this type of behavour before it ruins our game. What if after every challenge every player lept three foot in the air and landed in a heap rolling around until hehad the referees attention.My God we'd be there all night trying to get the game finished.

I would like to see players like Thornton charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Football is a contact sport and anybody who as ever played it be it for Fox and Ferret on a Sunday morning or Man Utd will know there are times when you can ride a tackle and stay on your feet or go to ground to gain a free kick advantage. Thorntons tatics were neither of these but one of cynical play acting designed to get an opponent sent off and should be seen as not complying with the spirit of the game. A player like him should be watched by the Fa and eviedence gathered to stamp out this type of behavour before it ruins our game. What if after every challenge every player lept three foot in the air and landed in a heap rolling around until hehad the referees attention.My God we'd be there all night trying to get the game finished.

Which in the most part is what he did, I saw him 'feigning injury' once. All he did was go down when he perhaps should've stayed on his feet just to get a free-kick.

I know you lot moan about it but if it had been a player on your team there would be no complaints.

I wonder how upset Northampton fans were at Nicky Nicolaus dive to win the penalty that sent us through to the play off final in 2005. I dont condone Thorntons behaviour but it happens. Wayne Gray went down easier than Jordan, and lets face it Macca and Maher have earned themselves a reputation and rightly so as they never seem to stop barking at the ref or complaining.

I know you lot moan about it but if it had been a player on your team there would be no complaints.

Bullocks. I've been lucky enough not to witness anyone in the Thornton / Duguid class of sheer, unashamed cheats in a Southend shirt, but I have no qualms whatsoever as an Englishman saying that I've found some of the antics of Michael Owen and one or two others wearing the Three Lions thoroughly embarassing. Maybe it's just me, but I find the fundamental human quality of BEING A MAN a little more important than a game of football.

I wonder how upset Northampton fans were at Nicky Nicolaus dive to win the penalty that sent us through to the play off final in 2005. I dont condone Thorntons behaviour but it happens. Wayne Gray went down easier than Jordan, and lets face it Macca and Maher have earned themselves a reputation and rightly so as they never seem to stop barking at the ref or complaining.

I understand diving is sadly part of the game but the difference between Nicolou and Thornton is that Nicolou just got straight back up. Thornton feigned injury rolling around as if he was in agony to get a player sent off what kind of man does that! I personally think this is a disgrace and i would not condone any Southend player who done this. Players like Shaun Thornton should be punished for pure cheating!

And we were all saying Maher would. Should he have taken them both off then?

Tilson has to take the blame for making it part of the game plan to target Thornton. Maher went through Chambers early on and that set the tone for the rest of the game. In the run up to the sending off, your number 3 went straight through the back of Boyd. That challenge went unpunished, so swings and roundabouts. As I said, if Tilson wants to use a liability like McCormack (and we know what a liability he is, having played for us) to mark Thornton, then he's asking for trouble.

Oh, and Ā£20 at 7/2 put the icing on the cake.

It was at that time when the ref done the unbelievable waving that red about,that Tilly should've stuck on Macdonald to run accross their back four as poor Matty H looked on his last legs.
Also with half-hour left,take off the perrennial hot weather struggler Marky G to give a decent runabout to Tommy Boy.

The one lad who could have made a difference in a scenario as that on Saturday? ....Peggy! I bet he would have chased that attacker harder when JCR lost the ball than say Bailey,who just stood there.

Harrold, or the strikers playing or on the bench, was the best suited to playing upfront on his own because he wins things in the air, brings others into play and holds the ball up.

Tilson has to take the blame for making it part of the game plan to target Thornton. Maher went through Chambers early on and that set the tone for the rest of the game. In the run up to the sending off, your number 3 went straight through the back of Boyd. That challenge went unpunished, so swings and roundabouts. As I said, if Tilson wants to use a liability like McCormack (and we know what a liability he is, having played for us) to mark Thornton, then he's asking for trouble.

Oh, and Ā£20 at 7/2 put the icing on the cake.

McCormack isn't a liability. That like saying that Roy Keane was a liability for Manchester United or that Patrick Veiria was a liability for Arsenal. Macca would stroll into your team.

Just taking a slightly different view on Thornton for a moment. There is no doubt he can play and has more than enough ability at our level.

However he was bombed out of Sunderland & Donny on frees, after Sunderland paid over 1 million for him. Therefore I suggest he may be another Guttridge in the making, great when things are going well, but a bad attitude when they aren't.

Time will tell I guess.

Indeed. Thornton will play like that 10% of the time and spend the rest of the time causing trouble.

That's why his career has been such a failure.

Back