• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If it's not bolted to the floor it's a weapon

That's the way I look at it.

I expect resourceful police officers agree.

I'm pleased you have such confidence in our guys in blue. However as he was armed, so Britain he could have just pointed the gun and asked them to kindly step aside. Which brings me back to the original point.

I don't agree with OBL's point which seems to rely on hindsight, but he drove up and parked that truck 12 hours before the attack. Had he pointed his gun at an officer then then he wouldn't have been in a position to kill 80 people 12 hours later.

I'm pleased you have such confidence in our guys in blue. However as he was armed, so Britain he could have just pointed the gun and asked them to kindly step aside. Which brings me back to the original point.

That's the point for me. I don't have confidence in our guys in blue, and that's why I don't want them armed.

That's the point for me. I don't have confidence in our guys in blue, and that's why I don't want them armed.

I think you do them a dis-service with that comment. How many do you know? We have a number of police officer friends, including one in SO19. I don't think they should all be armed, but I have no problems with properly trained officers with a number of years service being added to the numbers of armed officers.

I think you do them a dis-service with that comment. How many do you know? We have a number of police officer friends, including one in SO19. I don't think they should all be armed, but I have no problems with properly trained officers with a number of years service being added to the numbers of armed officers.

I don't know any personally, but that isn't the point. They're human beings, they make mistakes.

Last edited:
Yes, I think all police officers should have arms.............................and legs. :hilarious:

On a serious note, IMHO, given the way the world is now there should be many, many more armed police but not all of them. The threats we face must not be underestimated.

What would you suggest. If we doubled or trebled their pay, would we get a much better quality of recruit.

I'd rather take the opinion of the actual police over members of the public who don't really know the realities of the job. A recent poll showed only 20% of police officers wanted to be armed with a gun despite 35% saying they were attacked at least once a month.

(I'd take the comments of Steve White saying the figure was so low because officers are afraid of being 'hung out to dry' with a pinch of salt though. If he truly believed that was true it seems odd he didn't think to include a question about it on the survey. it stinks of someone who set up the poll expecting one result and is hurriedly trying to twist the outcome when it wasn't what he expected so that he can still justify his calls for more guns.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...r-shortage-of-firearms-officers-a7030966.html

Wouldn't make any difference. They'd still be human.

You said you have no confidence in the police. So do you think any of them should be armed?

What about the ones who confronted Lee Rigby's murderers, did they make a mistake.

i remember having this "debate" when at school,1966..!!Bloody hell
The end result was,if i remember correctly was...its the POLICE officers who carry the BRUNT of the problems-troubles,normally one of the first there...so if the POLICE dont wish to be armed,then they should not be.
But sadly things have changed now

Yes, they should be armed. There duty is to protect the public. How can they protect the public if a person is armed and dangerous and the police are not?

Police forces across the country have armed response vehicles patrolling the streets. They are there to provide rapid response to officers if the call comes. There are high visibility armed police at all of the major UK airports and London appears to have armed officers on view all over the Capitol. Someone mentioned earlier that a poll of police officers showed that the majority don't want to be armed. Add to that the fact that neither the Police Federation nor the various Chief Constables have made a case for more armed officers, and I think the overall view from the Forces is no thank you.

It's a tough job being a copper these days (it always has been) as you never know what to expect, but there again they never did. Now days they carry tazers and sprays in addition to their batons so, together with their technology, they are better equipped. I tend to the view that if they aren't pushing for more guns on the streets, then neither am I.

Yes, they should be armed. There duty is to protect the public. How can they protect the public if a person is armed and dangerous and the police are not?

They are rarely armed with guns though.

Instances where you need a gun carrying officer are rare, I dont see the logic in arming every single one of them for those rare events.

And you still believe it was a policeman that shot him?

#innocentasnewbornlamb

Whoever it was, still proves that gun carriers can shoot unarmed people dead by mistake.

They are rarely armed with guns though.

Instances where you need a gun carrying officer are rare, I dont see the logic in arming every single one of them for those rare events.

Whoever it was, still proves that gun carriers can shoot unarmed people dead by mistake.

I think most people would agree to that.

The point I was making when I mentioned the Nice incident was that if it was say the Air Show in Southend, then none of the police manning any barriers would be armed. We would have no chance of stopping a lorry even if it went the length of the sea front turned round and had another go.

One armed response car even with four officers would struggle to have any effect.

I think most people would agree to that.

The point I was making when I mentioned the Nice incident was that if it was say the Air Show in Southend, then none of the police manning any barriers would be armed. We would have no chance of stopping a lorry even if it went the length of the sea front turned round and had another go.

One armed response car even with four officers would struggle to have any effect.

Maybe that's why Southend does not have an air show anymore!

Back