• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should we sign a striker on loan ????

CC51DAS

President
If we do the message is clear - Tilly does not think that the lads(Hooper, MacDonald Foran ) we have are good enough to step up , which begs the question why do we persist with them anyway .

If we don't we are looking very short of options

Adam Barratt up front anyone ??

No point. I doubt there will be anyone available who is better than the strikers we have already. We might as well give MacDonald or Foran a chance while Leon is out.

word has it we tried to sign James Henry, Reading reserves and under 19 England international right winger last week. He was definitely coming until Henry spoke to a mate from Reading FC now at Bournmouth who talked him into ditching SUFC for BFC. On Friday he went to BFC for trial and signed on loan. He played Saturday and scored 2 goals.
Just shows Tilly is looking to strengthen the squad if possible.

I cannot beleive that there are no better players out there than Harrold and Foran. Sorry to say but neither have done much to impress me.

Surely now were matey with Arsenal they must have a young talented player who is dying to kick a ball in anger?

If we are serious about promotion we need to ditch the players who will be no good to us in the championship. With the exception of Leon would any of our strikers get in any of the other teams in the top 10? I think not. Last time we had Freddy, Goater and Gray all capable of getting double figures. We also had plenty of goals from midfield from Gower, Gutts and benno. This time we have the goals from midfield but not up front and over the whole season it will cost us.

The next three league matches are going to be the big test. 3 games without Leon will probably show just how important he may be to our promotion hopes.
Im certainly not expectant of any goals from Harrold or Hooper etc, so no doubt we will be relying on the midfield for goals in the next three games as we did before Leon arrived.

Tilly needs to pull every string he can to get someone in on loan possibly with the option to buy in Jan as I think we are desperate for a decent striker - one that can score goals of course.

I cannot beleive that there are no better players out there than Harrold and Foran. Sorry to say but neither have done much to impress me.

Surely now were matey with Arsenal they must have a young talented player who is dying to kick a ball in anger?

Not having a go at him as I'm sure he's doing his best, but non-league football is awash with players better than Harrold not to mention reserves and up and coming players from Premiership/Championship sides. Getting Clarke on loan worked out pretty well. Let's try for another one.

Tilly needs to pull every string he can to get someone in on loan possibly with the option to buy in Jan as I think we are desperate for a decent striker - one that can score goals of course.

Ridiculous suggestion, we need a striker who runs a lot and tries really hard ;)

i'd like to think now that leon won't be playing for a while that one of our strikers we already have will see this as a real chance to prove themselves, hopefully foran. everyones been crying out for him to start as a forward. whoever gets there chance needs to take it.

Charlie Mac scored 20 plus goals for Gravesend & Northfleet last season and although this was achieved in the Conference, the bloke obviously knows where the goal is and should be given an opportunity to achieve at League 1 level.

Give Charlie a chance - if then he is not up to the task fair enough but he should certainly be the man to replace Clarke while he is suspended.

Also am I right in thinking that Bailey is out for Cheltenham ?

And does anyone know when Daryl will be fit ? - I don't like this no sub goalie bit - Northampton were aiming a few kicks at Collis .

Also am I right in thinking that Bailey is out for Cheltenham ?

And does anyone know when Daryl will be fit ? - I don't like this no sub goalie bit - Northampton were aiming a few kicks at Collis .

Your friendly local Echo says: -

Bailey suspended for next league game (as obviously so will Leon).
Flavs starts back f/t training tomorrow.

Having now watched Scott McDonald in a couple of games for the Hoops, and having seen Charlie Mac put through his paces in the warm-up on Saturday, I'd theorise and say Tilly obviously has an idea in mind in what he wants from a smaller striker.

What we still don't know is why's he not given Charlie a go, does he feel he's not up to scratch and was a panic buy (as we missed out on Scott) or is he again another long-term purchase and he'll be eased into the team gradually with us presumably fine-tuning the way we play to utilise his strengths!

Having now watched Scott McDonald in a couple of games for the Hoops, and having seen Charlie Mac put through his paces in the warm-up on Saturday, I'd theorise and say Tilly obviously has an idea in mind in what he wants from a smaller striker.

What we still don't know is why's he not given Charlie a go, does he feel he's not up to scratch and was a panic buy (as we missed out on Scott) or is he again another long-term purchase and he'll be eased into the team gradually with us presumably fine-tuning the way we play to utilise his strengths!

I wouldn't have thought Charlie was a panic signing, as we signed him early on in the off-season.

I don't think we need another striker - we scored in every single game we played before Leon Clarke signed and can do so again. What we need though is two of Foran, MacDonald, Harrold & Hooper to really step up on saturday and in training in the build up to Cheltenham next saturday. In truth we should beat Rochdale & Cheltenham no matter who is up front but the bigger tests will be the games against Luton & Huddersfield.

I wouldn't have thought Charlie was a panic signing, as we signed him early on in the off-season.

Exactly, which is why his absence from the team (OK he's had niggling injuries but look at that cup goal against Watford it was class) is harder to quantify!

Exactly, which is why his absence from the team (OK he's had niggling injuries but look at that cup goal against Watford it was class) is harder to quantify!

The only thing I can think of is that Tilly doesn't believe he'd have much of an impact in the league yet.
Still, hopefully he'll get a chance in the Rochdale game and can make his claim for a league start in Clarke's absence.

We should've got Jay Simpson from them, but no, we go and get flipping Odhiambo.

I'd give Hoops and Charlie the starting spots on Saturday myself.

Back