• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I do hope this discussion doesn't escalate!

Whatever negatives someone else or some other group has is not the issue for me.

My standards are not there to be lowered. Do good deeds every day and you will be repaid many times over, grasshopper.

I do hope this discussion doesn't escalate!

Whatever negatives someone else or some other group has is not the issue for me.

My standards are not there to be lowered. Do good deeds every day and you will be repaid many times over, grasshopper.

When *** has time on his hands anything could happen.

Mick,
Does the number of "irregular residents" in the UK (whether minute or not) make you feel threatened in any way?

What a strange question.

I post a bit of factual information and you want to know if it makes me feel threatened in any way. Well no, but nor does Ebola.

Should it be okay that this country is housing enough "irregular residents" to populate three decent sized towns, if I'm not feeling threatened ? I think it's important to differentiate between those who are going about their lives legally and those who are not.

What a strange question.

I post a bit of factual information and you want to know if it makes me feel threatened in any way. Well no, but nor does Ebola.

Should it be okay that this country is housing enough "irregular residents" to populate three decent sized towns, if I'm not feeling threatened ? I think it's important to differentiate between those who are going about their lives legally and those who are not.

I should,perhaps,have used the word worried rather than "threatened".

You're certainly right not to be overly-worried or indeed threatened by Ebola,IMO.

As to your final point,I think you'll find that most EU countries,(certainly including Spain and France), have a similar number of illegal immigrants within their borders.

One solution, (hardly possible in the current UK political climate),would be to offer an amnesty to long-term,law-abiding, illegal immigrants,as Spain (following the US) has done.

I should,perhaps,have used the word worried rather than "threatened".

You're certainly right not to be overly-worried or indeed threatened by Ebola,IMO.

As to your final point,I think you'll find that most EU countries,(certainly including Spain and France), have a similar number of illegal immigrants within their borders.

One solution, (hardly possible in the current UK political climate),would be to offer an amnesty to long-term,law-abiding, illegal immigrants,as Spain (following the US) has done.

hmmmm .... law-abiding, illegal immigrants ?? Oxymoron alert.

hmmmm .... law-abiding, illegal immigrants ?? Oxymoron alert.

Haha that did make me chuckle, I'm sure tangled meant law abiding aside from the imigration part. To be fair some just want the chance to live in a country that offers a bit of opportunity, can hardly demonise them for that. (not that i'm acusing you of doing so)

All people should be treated fairly, regardless of race, colour, sex or creed. I think I have said before I know of perfectly good, respectable and perfectly suitable white, male candidates passed over for promotions in favour of black women just to meet directives. And yes, that's obviously the prison service I'm talking about and look at the mess that's got into now!

All people should be treated fairly, regardless of race, colour, sex or creed. I think I have said before I know of perfectly good, respectable and perfectly suitable white, male candidates passed over for promotions in favour of black women just to meet directives. And yes, that's obviously the prison service I'm talking about and look at the mess that's got into now!

You know that's illegal, right?

You know that's illegal, right?

Try telling the prison service that. It happened. Now the service has lost all the experience it once had and has a load of people in who meet "quotas" and who haven't a clue what they're doing. They have 4 people now doing the job my husband once did on his own! But it's ok, because they are all on much lower wages!!!

Try telling the prison service that. It happened. Now the service has lost all the experience it once had and has a load of people in who meet "quotas" and who haven't a clue what they're doing. They have 4 people now doing the job my husband once did on his own! But it's ok, because they are all on much lower wages!!!

Surely it's a case of reporting that to the Prison Officer's union then?

There's obviously a case for trying to increase the shamefully low levels of ethnic minority workers in many public sector roles, however positive action is illegal and I can't really imagine the prison service is getting away with that, even if it's dressed up in other ways.

Surely it's a case of reporting that to the Prison Officer's union then?

There's obviously a case for trying to increase the shamefully low levels of ethnic minority workers in many public sector roles, however positive action is illegal and I can't really imagine the prison service is getting away with that, even if it's dressed up in other ways.

PO Union is as much use as a chocolate fireguard. It's all irrelevant now anyway, apart from them imploring the majority of the good officers that took voluntary to go back on short term contracts! They can dress it up in lots of different ways but the facts spoke for themselves at the time, the service is now at rock bottom and officers are now in danger and at risk every second of every day.

My opinions are my opinions and without starting off another thread for the PC brigade I would just add this - in my lifetime racism in my experience is a lot worse towards myself (A white Englishman in his early thirties) than I have dished out or seen/heard myself.

Until the age of 9 I attended a school in East London in a class of just three white kids, on a daily basis I was subjected to "Milky Bar kid", "Casper" and "White Honkey" jibes and I can assure you not once was anything ever raised.

I have played football at Semi Pro level for over a decade, represented Essex, East Anglia and East of England teams and I can assure you that at times I was left of groups in training and meals and made to feel ostracised because I didn't fit in with the black boys, at times this was even openly admitted.

I think everyone is far too precious in our country and the discrimination only seems to works one way, people live in fear of having an opinion and certainly expressing it, so much so that it breads this whole 'racism' outlook. For example, why can there be Asian football leagues, you have some areas where white folk cannot visit in fear of trouble. You then have the MOBO awards, how does that work. At one of the leading Banks where I work they have the "Rainbow Group" for homosexual and bisexual staff only. You could even go as far as saying Sheila's wheels which offered women cheaper car insurance - all these things discriminate against me but I don't feel the need to start campaigns and groups to ostracise myself from society.

All these organised groups like "Kick it out" are just brining up issues when it doesn't need to be addressed, you could even say fuel the so called racists with publicity. This is England and there will always be isolated incidents because of whatever reason, what help do these groups actually do. Maybe they should look closer to home with players like Rio Ferdinand calling his former England colleague Ashley Cole a "Choc Ice". If that was a white male like John Terry or Wayne Rooney, all hell would have broke out!!! #justsaying. Then you have the double standards, was it Jason Roberts and a few other black guys refused to where the "Kick it out t-shirts" in a form of protest, imagine a few white guys did that!!!!

The whole word racism is not something anyone would like to be associated with and rightly so, but making people live in fear of their innocent words and phrases being twisted and questioned is arguably just as much a form of bullying.

How about stop flagging up the issues by ramming these pointless events it down peoples throats and stop publicising issues that are hardly there.

This all day long for me, and I might add the Metropolitan Black Police Association, The National Black Police Association , The Muslim Parliament of Great Britain, female only selection for running as MP, The Muslim Law (Shariah) Council UK, The Islamic Sharia Council.

And what about discrimination on: age, fat people, disabled people, bald people, ginger people, women only business grants, the list goes on and on.

How many times have I heard the chant you fat b^st^d and no fuss is made about that!

Load of cobblers - race campaigns, homophobic campaigns etc do nothing but create groups!!! If everyone should be treated as one then stop advocating events to single out groups of people!!!

Agreed. It's like Black History month. Black history is not black history. It's history full stop.

My opinions are my opinions and without starting off another thread for the PC brigade I would just add this - in my lifetime racism in my experience is a lot worse towards myself (A white Englishman in his early thirties) than I have dished out or seen/heard myself.

Until the age of 9 I attended a school in East London in a class of just three white kids, on a daily basis I was subjected to "Milky Bar kid", "Casper" and "White Honkey" jibes and I can assure you not once was anything ever raised.

I have played football at Semi Pro level for over a decade, represented Essex, East Anglia and East of England teams and I can assure you that at times I was left of groups in training and meals and made to feel ostracised because I didn't fit in with the black boys, at times this was even openly admitted.

I think everyone is far too precious in our country and the discrimination only seems to works one way, people live in fear of having an opinion and certainly expressing it, so much so that it breads this whole 'racism' outlook. For example, why can there be Asian football leagues, you have some areas where white folk cannot visit in fear of trouble. You then have the MOBO awards, how does that work. At one of the leading Banks where I work they have the "Rainbow Group" for homosexual and bisexual staff only. You could even go as far as saying Sheila's wheels which offered women cheaper car insurance - all these things discriminate against me but I don't feel the need to start campaigns and groups to ostracise myself from society.

All these organised groups like "Kick it out" are just brining up issues when it doesn't need to be addressed, you could even say fuel the so called racists with publicity. This is England and there will always be isolated incidents because of whatever reason, what help do these groups actually do. Maybe they should look closer to home with players like Rio Ferdinand calling his former England colleague Ashley Cole a "Choc Ice". If that was a white male like John Terry or Wayne Rooney, all hell would have broke out!!! #justsaying. Then you have the double standards, was it Jason Roberts and a few other black guys refused to where the "Kick it out t-shirts" in a form of protest, imagine a few white guys did that!!!!

The whole word racism is not something anyone would like to be associated with and rightly so, but making people live in fear of their innocent words and phrases being twisted and questioned is arguably just as much a form of bullying.

How about stop flagging up the issues by ramming these pointless events it down peoples throats and stop publicising issues that are hardly there.
this is the point of antidiscrimination you twonk - you describe how you felt discriminated against due to your colour - and that should not be tolerated, in the same way as non-white people being abused should not. however the prevailing forms of discrimination in the UK are against women and ethnic minorities hence this being the focus of the various campaigns.
Certainly more work needs to be done to integrate some groups to UK life and this kind of tribalism does damage efforts to beat racism, but that should not take away from the overall message - which is that everyone should have the same opportunities to succeed.

Back