• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ShrimperZone News

Javea Shrimper

1. The latest SZ Prediction League is now online - sorry for the delay; something to do with excess "alkyhole" last night celebrating a win over some Mickey Mouse outfit from a division above us (** cough **) ...

2. The next Overseas Shrimper is now up online - Tim Hynson from Melbourne, Australia, who started following the Shrimpers thanks to a computer game ...

3. The Stat-of-the-Month has been updated for October - who are our top ten "bogey teams", the ones we just can't seem to beat in the League? Guess ...

All accessible from the ShrimperZone Home Page.

WS

Intrigued to see Sunderland so far up in the list of teams we don't do well against. I believe we are the ONLY club ever to win away to them in the League in 4 successive seasons, which kind of counters the odd 7-0 defeat.

The five defeats at Roots Hall don't help though ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stid @ Sep. 30 2004,20:27)]Intrigued to see Sunderland so far up in the list of teams we don't do well against. I believe we are the ONLY club ever to win away to them in the League in 4 successive seasons, which kind of counters the odd 7-0 defeat.
They were all at Roker Park.

1991/2 1-2 Angell, Scully
1992/3 2-4 Collymore, Scully, Ansah, Angell
1993/4 0-2 Angell, Bressington
1994/5 0-1 Thomson

Does anyone remember the home match against Sunderland in 1996. They beat us 0-2 in front of 5810 fans and hardly anyone saw the goals... we had a real pea-souper that night and their fans only knew Sunderland had scored when our lads trudged up to the centre circle and kicked off...

We all kept quiet of course! we didn't want to ruin the surprise!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The pea souper game is well documented in Bob Sills' book ...

WS

Another interesting stat, I've only just noticed that my mug is vaguely on the main SZ logo these days (just behind the S). The glasses went on having only removed the contacts at about 4am! Fame at last.....

And at the very left-hand side is Snowy's grandad's nose ...

WS

Yes I remember the pea-souper. It started ok but by half-time most of the pitch had vanished and it certainly didn't improve after that. Sunderland brought on someone (Bridges I think) for his League debut and he scored the first time he got the ball. Apart from that I don't think we missed a lot from not being able to see.

I remember an FA Cup replay against AP Leamington that started in even worse fog and most people missed the first goal in a 4-0 win but it got better as the game progressed. But I can't think of trying to watch football in worse visibility other than that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stid @ Sep. 30 2004,21:27)]Intrigued to see Sunderland so far up in the list of teams we don't do well against. I believe we are the ONLY club ever to win away to them in the League in 4 successive seasons, which kind of counters the odd 7-0 defeat.
We jointly hold the record with Liverpool (not a phrase you often hear!) of the most consecutive wins at Sunderland.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stid @ Oct. 01 2004,00:49)]Yes I remember the pea-souper. It started ok but by half-time most of the pitch had vanished and it certainly didn't improve after that. Sunderland brought on someone (Bridges I think) for his League debut and he scored the first time he got the ball. Apart from that I don't think we missed a lot from not being able to see.

I remember an FA Cup replay against AP Leamington that started in even worse fog and most people missed the first goal in a 4-0 win but it got better as the game progressed. But I can't think of trying to watch football in worse visibility other than that.
The AP Leamington game was very bad fog. I remember the Sunderland game too. It wasnt too bad from the West Bank, but behind the goal it would have been really poor to see the other end. I remember going to an away game in the seventies but cannot remember where. It was an evening game and the game was abandoned due to fog...anyone remember where that was?.....then there was the Northampton game when the floodlights failed!

IIRC one of the Sunderland goals was a penalty in front of the South Bank , Mickey Bodley made a well timed tackle playing the ball and the stiker then fell over. There was a whistle from the gloom and then the ref appeared, god knows how he could see it we couldn't even see him.

The Sunderland fans had no idea until , as some said previously, they returned for the restart.

At on stage, Roycie was telling the fans in the south what was happening when we were attacking, not that he couls see much more..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Oct. 01 2004,14:24)]IIRC one of the Sunderland goals was a penalty in front of the South Bank , Mickey Bodley made a well timed tackle playing the ball and the stiker then fell over.
One newspaper reported that it was Chris Powell who committed a clearcut foul.

This merely confirmed my suspicions that the journalist couldn't see anything through the fog and was making it up (from what little I saw the defender Bodley or Hails make a perfectly clean tackle). Alternatively he was suffering from a severe case of the Steve-Bennetts.

Back