• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricketts, plus that bloke we signed on loan from Barcelona via Sunderland

also Lee Sawyer the second time round... but only because he didnt match up to the first time round. (fortunately the third time round is more like the first!)

I would also like to make a claim for 'player that was most adveresly affected by a haircut' - M'Voto!

David Whyte.....had been amongst the top scorers in the Championship (or equivalent) and thought he was going to tear up the lower divisions with us......

Sada N'Diaye....first real foreign signing, but rubbish.

Ben Smith - apprently had been the best player in the conference and thought he would boss the midfield for us.....did he ever play?

Jason Harris - Had previously gone for 6 figures, had pace, and was a Webb signing. Surely he would bang in the goals for fun. All I remember about him was that he took a lot of long throws.

Stephen Broad - Captain of Chelsea reserves, understandably could not get into their star studded side but surely the lower divisions should be a canter for him......sadly didn't seem to really like football that much and spoke about giving it up to go travelling.....

I came on here just to say that....

Had Jason Harris really gone for 6 figures? Are you thinking of Tony Richards?

Got to apologise for that one, it was me that recommended him to Alvin Martin....... :unsure:

:witch Hunt:

With Hooper he was not given a chance, Phil Whelan was a former U21 international and probably played for the club at the wrong time when we were really struggling with some terrible players in the squad! Mike Marsh i think suffered the same fate but was quality in spells. Injuries ruined Andy Harris IMO he was quality before he had that major lay off and was never the same after.

Jimmy Corbett was supposed to be the next big thing when he was at Blackburn and oh how wrong were they lol

By "major lay-off" I can only assume you mean the pre-season before he joined.

Quite a few mentions for Michael Ricketts, but how about the other international who I think joined the same day? I know he was only a Scottish international but even so I expected better of Steven Hammell.

Francisco Cagigao.

Marek Szmid - he was at Man U!

Jamal Campbell-Ryce.

Even Andy Thomson, despite him being one of my favourites, he never quite delivered.

But I could name hundreds more.

Was he? I must have missed that. Unfortunately I never remember him being injured and playing a starring role in our 2 relegations. Best thing he did for us was to play for Chester and set up Dudfield's winner.

QUOTE]

Yes did his ankle ligaments I believe! He was close to an Under 21 call up at one point so was not too shabby! I remember the awesomeness of his assist for Dudfield (good finish) He came back from injury and was rubbish (second relegation season) and then was shipped off to Orient!

anyone remember richard young, scored in his first game for us against ipswich, might have been a friendly or cup game and did nothing else after that, right big lump as well he was.

Neville Southall is a good shout too - such an absolute legend in the game and I think he played something like 13 games and we didnt win one of them?? He was generally fat, sweaty and rubbish.

Nine games, no wins, two draws, seven defeats.

Yes did his ankle ligaments I believe! He was close to an Under 21 call up at one point so was not too shabby! I remember the awesomeness of his assist for Dudfield (good finish) He came back from injury and was rubbish (second relegation season) and then was shipped off to Orient!

Yes, it was only his indecisiveness on whether to play for England U21, South Africa or the USA which robbed the world of a special talent on the world stage (he's got 10 GCSEs! He can play chess!).

His indecision even spread to the pitch where he was sometimes uncertain whether he should just concede the penalty or score the owngoal himself.

He certainly achieved things on a football pitch that few can claim to have done - make Ben Lewis look good for example.

I am sorry I will keep quiet :nope: How dare I challenge anything said on here I mean have only made 10 posts damn me :(

I actually was more excited by the signing of Mike Marsh, than the reality of the end product IMHO

I am sorry I will keep quiet :nope: How dare I challenge anything said on here I mean have only made 10 posts damn me :(

Not at all. You're more than welcome to put your view forward and I'd have put forward the same counter-view had someone with 10 or 100,000 posts said that. It's actually more interesting hearing from people with a different view point to myself and it's through being challenged that you hone (and he was **** as well) your own opinions and ideas. But Harris was **** :raspberry:

Lol I was only messing around I love a good debate. Ok but we must agree Lars Unger was a loss to the German national team! :winking:

on the flip side. i remember hearing we signed a palace reject, who sounded awful. little did we know.....

Dougie Freedman?

I remember Stan Collymore being announced in the line up and going "Stan who?" despite the fact that I'd seen the previous evening on teletext (those were the days!) that we'd signed him.

Lol I was only messing around I love a good debate. Ok but we must agree Lars Unger was a loss to the German national team! :winking:

I liked Lars Unger! *

Good player, but one of the worst finishers I've seen. Was it against Orient that he kept bursting through from midfield, only fluff it every time? He never scored for us.

*But not as much as Rayleigh Weir did....

I liked Lars Unger! *

Good player, but one of the worst finishers I've seen. Was it against Orient that he kept bursting through from midfield, only fluff it every time? He never scored for us.

I liked him as well and yes was Orient away I believe as was there (I think Lee Hodges was starring for us as well?) and yeah he could not shoot for toffee!

I liked Lars Unger! *

I have a vague memory of him really badly fluffing one away to Cambridge when it was 0-0. Cambridge went on to win 3-0, although the first was aided by a blatant handball IIRC.

I liked him as well and yes was Orient away I believe as was there (I think Lee Hodges was starring for us as well?) and yeah he could not shoot for toffee!

I have a vague memory of him really badly fluffing one away to Cambridge when it was 0-0. Cambridge went on to win 3-0, although the first was aided by a blatant handball IIRC.

I think it was both games. His reputation for not being able to finish was clearly well earned!

I got quite excited when i saw the seagull come on during the cheltenham game last season but everytime the ball came over it just **** itself and didnt want it.

Harsh, as I recall, he led the line well and got into some great positions which our other forwards could have learned from.

For me, it's all about Ricketts and Furlong - what huge disappointments. We knew they were coming to the end of their career but we still deserved to get far more from them than we did. Freedman might have tailed off towards the end but I'm confident he'd get a great reception if he returned to Roots Hall so it can't have been all bad.

Stephen Broad - Captain of Chelsea reserves, understandably could not get into their star studded side but surely the lower divisions should be a canter for him......sadly didn't seem to really like football that much and spoke about giving it up to go travelling.....

Interesting one that. I think we were as much a disappointment to him as his leaving was to us. The drop from next week's news at Chelsea to a career at Roots Hall obviously took the guts out of him. Wonder what he's up to these days?

Back