• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
Seeing as its a bit of a free-for-all on our own players at the moment...

Simon Francis - I've already stated tonight that I'm worried about Francis performances. What do you think? Heres my fors and againsts from the matches I've seen Francis play (all bar Bournemouth this season)....

For (I'm struggling!):

* Seems composed on the ball
* Tall, so deals with the ball played over the CB head into his area.
* Not afraid to get involved up the pitch.

Against

* Personally think he is terrible defensively - cannot (or wont) tackle.
* Lethargic and far too casual.
* Passing is abysmal - too many hospital balls or stray passes.
* Positional sense is poor.
* Seems to switch off during games

I always want to back our guys 100% but its no point being blind to a players faults. I am prepared to give Paynter the benefit of the doubt as he is new to the side, not 100% fit and not had a run.

Francis though has played all our games and pre-season - probably playing more minutes than any other player so far and really has little excuse.

I really want to like Francis as his glowing reports from Sheff Utd fans ("better than any of our current right-backs") and Tranmere fans ("will go on to play for England") are superb - and at times during pre-season he has looked near that billing, but I worry with anybody attacking down our right now the season is underway.

Maybe he is out of form/still settling - whatever, but I am unconvinced.

(On a side note, Hammell seems to be settling down well now!)

i think he seems like a very good player good on the ball and young aswell, and i would rather play him then duncan jupp

looks a skilful player but had the same doubts as well - gets caught on the ball and seems to lose concentration. Better going forward than defending

I wontsay too much about Francis as, being an exile, I have only seen himplay for us twice (Sunderland and today), but one observation I made about today demonstrated how laid back he is. JCR played the ball back to Francis in the second half near to the halfway line if I recall correctly. Francis controlled the ball and let it run a yard to open himself up to play the next pass and Leicester's little number 27 just too it away. I thought this was a particularly poor moment which, looking at the problems that the number 27 caused us today, could so easily have cost us a goal.

Just a specific observation I made about Francis today which really stood out that kind of backs up the 'against' argument above. But like I say I'm not sure if this is a regular thing that happens as I haven't seen him play much.

As a rule I think he has been ok at best. I thought at Palace he was a world beater but his recent displays have left me a bit lacklustre. Today at Leicester i thought he was alright but didnt really inspire me.

I can only suggest that he is not used to first team football as he has never played a lot of games in a season. Still an excellent prospesct.

To me it appears mainly to be a lack of concentration. If you watch him sometimes he really does appear to drop his head after a ball has been played by or near him and then simply isn't ready whein the thing comes back to him. It really does look like he switches off for periods of the game.

He really didn't link up at all well with JCR yesterday, but then again even someone as good as Cafu would have had problems making much out of what JCR was up to yesterday.

Another couple of games like yesterday & it'll have to be Lewis or Che for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Aug. 27 2006,09:35)]To me it appears mainly to be a lack of concentration.  If you watch him sometimes he really does appear to drop his head after a ball has been played by or near him and then simply isn't ready whein the thing comes back to him.  It really does look like he switches off for periods of the game.

He really didn't link up at all well with JCR yesterday, but then again even someone as good as Cafu would have had problems making much out of what JCR was up to yesterday.

Another couple of games like yesterday & it'll have to be Lewis or Che for me.
Spot on post!

He lacks concentration but has all the attribut's when he's on his game.

Lewis Hunt will be chomping at the bit to get into the team, and unless SF starts to produce the form he's undoubtedly capable of i'd think it wont be long - even if it begins at an away game as we used to do with Pett's.

I think he will be very good, what one has to remember is he is still very young, and is ultimately still learning his trade, I have seen him improve every game (wasnt at Leicester), and he does thing that make me think "Yeh, quality player in the making here", but given there is also "O God, what are you doing man moments".

There were times at QPR (1st half) thatI wanted to pull him into the stand to stop him from embarrasing himself anymore!

However I think on the whole a good signing, stick with him!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Aug. 27 2006,12:31)]I think he will be very good, what one has to remember is he is still very young, and is ultimately still learning his trade, I have seen him improve every game (wasnt at Leicester), and he does thing that make me think "Yeh, quality player in the making here", but given there is also "O God, what are you doing man moments".

There were times at QPR (1st half) thatI wanted to pull him into the stand to stop him from embarrasing himself anymore!

However I think on the whole a good signing, stick with him!
completely agree. i think some of his blind passes are to where a player should be but isnt. that comes from him playing at this level and he needs the midfield to be on the same wavelength. however he does play the occasional hosptial ball, and his first touch isnt anywhere near as assured as hammells

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Aug. 26 2006,22:11)]For (I'm struggling!):

Against

You're normally one of the more sensible ones around!
oops.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously though, if you have these opinions on Francis, what in the heck did you think of Jupp!?
wow.gif
laugh.gif

Francis will be quality, of that I have no doubts and he's done pretty alright for us so far I feel. I wasn't at Leicester, but one game can hardly change that.

I find thig post quite interesting... I raised this point a few weeks back about Francis - every game I have seen him play, including pre seasons, he has looked a bit of a liability and had made errors in every game.... In fact, I am yet to see him have a good game.

I got shot down in flames for that post, wasnt giving him a chance etc etc, now it seems most other fans have the same view as me.

I dont like slating 'one of our own', in most instances, it is counter productive, but I really worry about that side of our defence at the moment, and if this level of performance continues, then Lewis Hunt will surely deserve his place in the starting line up?... I dont ever recall him letting anyone down defensively.

Francis arrived very highly rated by almost everyone who has seen him play, but thus far, I am yet to see any evidence of this. I am sure all those people cannot be wrong, and he must have ability, but if he doesnt start showing it soon, then a change has to be made.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Aug. 27 2006,19:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Aug. 26 2006,22:11)]For (I'm struggling!):

Against

You're normally one of the more sensible ones around!
oops.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously though, if you have these opinions on Francis, what in the heck did you think of Jupp!?
wow.gif
laugh.gif

Francis will be quality, of that I have no doubts and he's done pretty alright for us so far I feel. I wasn't at Leicester, but one game can hardly change that.
Thanks Andy!
tounge.gif

Call me strange, but I like a defenders priority skill-set to be defending - i.e. tackling, position, reading of the game etc.

At the moment, Francis is not doing this right. Like I said in my post, I really want to like the guy as he has something about him that makes me think he will come good - plus the rave reviews he was given tells me that there is a good player we have here.

But, as my other post stated, we cannot have rose coloured glasses. Francis gives me a heart-attack every time the ball goes near him and for his plus points coming forward, linking up (when he manages to make a completed pass) etc is good.

Maybe just away from home I think we need something more solid at the moment to get us a result. I dont know if Hunt is the answer as he is prone to lapses too, so probably something that Francis and Tilly need to spend a bit of time on during training.

And for the record, I didnt think Jupp was that bad! Especially for the level we were at...

mad.gif
some people, i dont know what your talking about, simon francis has cleary been 1 of our most best players in the opening games, i dont think you should start applying negavtives on him, we need to get behind the team

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Up The Blues! @ Aug. 28 2006,14:28)]
mad.gif
some people, i dont know what your talking about, simon francis has cleary been 1 of our most best players in the opening games, i dont think you should start applying negavtives on him, we need to get behind the team
Ha! Ok - from the 2 posts I've read of yours, you have either got a little boat, a rod and a funky yellow hat, or you have some wacky views on football.

You are entitled to your opinion, but could you please expand on how Francis has 'clearly' been one of our best players this season?

Strong challenger, wins the ball in the air more than barrett, gets forward ( that mazy run at palace example), his versatility, hes got the experince at this level, he has been 1 of our best players on the opening games, that is your opinion if you do not agree

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Up The Blues! @ Aug. 28 2006,14:45)]Strong challenger, wins the ball in the air more than barrett, gets forward ( that mazy run at palace example), his versatility, hes got the experince at this level, he has been 1 of our best players on the opening games, that is your opinion if you do not agree
I cant resist...

I dont want to have a pop at Francis as like I said, I want to back him. Was just pointing out his shakey start to the season in my opinion.

As for your reply...

'Strong Challenger' - Not that I've seen, like I said, he seems frightened to tackle, even when he is alongside the attacker and could just stick a foot in.

'Wins the ball in the air' - Granted, as I said. Winning more than Barrett may be because he is taller than Barrett...

'Gets forward' - Hmmm, yes and no. At Leicester I thought he was awful supporting JCR and more often that not he loses it up the pitch and leads to a counter.

'Versatile' - yes, maybe but he hasnt played anywhere apart from RB so far this season.

I think he's done a lot of very good stuff for us already this season but until he can defend well consistently, he may prove to be more of a liability than an asset.

If I was Lewis Hunt, I'd be hoping for a chance in the team before too long. Then again, I'm not sure how Francis will sort out this part of his game unless he keeps playing.

Ive only seen him the once so far against Stoke and at the time I didnt think he looked totally convincing with his passing being pretty poor.

He is a young chap though and think he is an improvement on what we had, but from what others are saying you have to wonder how long he has before Hunt is knocking at the door.

Id like to see him given another half a dozen games to really have time to settle.

Back