• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Singers / Bands that everyone likes apart from you.....

I actually loved all the self-indulgent stuff. It's their best work, IMHO.

Yep, agreed.

I was brought up, as a teenager, on that sort of stuff. Early Genesis with their 23 minute tracks. Yes and the like.

It seemed to take music on a different course after the sixties revolution.

I actually loved all the self-indulgent stuff. it's their best work, IMHO.
Yep, I'm with you on that. I preferred the Barrett stuff when I was younger but that twee psychedelic whimsy is a bit hard to stomach these days. IMHO Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals is a phenomenal run of albums. I still love Syd, just not as much.

Yep, agreed.

I was brought up, as a teenager, on that sort of stuff. Early Genesis with their 23 minute tracks. Yes and the like.

It seemed to take music on a different course after the sixties revolution.
I was more in favour of the punk revolution Andy. 70s was a great era for punk, soul and ska. I loved the late 60s psychedelic stuff less so the prog rock stuff - Yes, Floyd, King Crimson etc. But fair play .. all music has its’ place.

Yep, I'm with you on that. I preferred the Barrett stuff when I was younger but that twee psychedelic whimsy is a bit hard to stomach these days. IMHO Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals is a phenomenal run of albums. I still love Syd, just not as much.

Yep, agreed on all of those albums and add 'Meddle' and 'A Saucerful of Secrets' too.

My thoughts on the Barrett stuff, as well. I liked it, but not as much.

I was more in favour of the punk revolution Andy. 70s was a great era for punk, soul and ska. I loved the late 60s psychedelic stuff less so the prog rock stuff - Yes, Floyd, King Crimson etc. But fair play .. all music has its’ place.

The earlier Floyd stuff was very psychedelic, which was my pull to it. I've linked 'Set the Controls .....' below, as an example :-

Towards the late 70's I moved across to soul, though always liked that type of music in the charts from the early seventies. Then moved to jazz and so on. That said, I loved Kate Bush, as people know, from early doors. I guess there's not much stuff I don't like, in truth :-

He's played several times in Barna and I've never been tempted.Glad I saw the him back in the day though with the Jam and would have loved to have seen Style Council.

I haven't seen him in over 10 years, but he always played a few from both The Jam & The SC.

He's played several times in Barna and I've never been tempted.Glad I saw the him back in the day though with the Jam and would have loved to have seen Style Council.

I saw the Council a couple of times - '84 in Oxford (Gaumont, I think) and in '85 at Hammersmith (Odeon). The Colchester girl Tracey supported them at the former gig. I don't remember much of the gigs now except that they did a storming version of 'Walls Come Tumbling Down' at the Odeon. I thought they too lost their way the year after and I've never been able to embrace The Modfather's music in his solo years, sadly. I don't suppose that will upset him too much though.

[QUOTE="Rob Noxious, post: 2206399, member: 3694"]I saw the Council a couple of times - '84 in Oxford (Gaumont, I think) and in '85 at Hammersmith (Odeon). The Colchester girl Tracey supported them at the former gig. I don't remember much of the gigs now except that they did a storming version of 'Walls Come Tumbling Down' at the Odeon. I thought they too lost their way the year after and I've never been able to embrace The Modfather's music in his solo years, sadly. I don't suppose that will upset him too much though.[/QUOTE]

Obviously I liked their jazz take on things.They must have played in Barna around that time too but I guess I was too busy working to have noticed.Agree about PW's solos stuff.

I saw the Council a couple of times - '84 in Oxford (Gaumont, I think) and in '85 at Hammersmith (Odeon). The Colchester girl Tracey supported them at the former gig. I don't remember much of the gigs now except that they did a storming version of 'Walls Come Tumbling Down' at the Odeon. I thought they too lost their way the year after and I've never been able to embrace The Modfather's music in his solo years, sadly. I don't suppose that will upset him too much though.

Wildwood is great, Stanley Road is a good album, and then sadly it's very hit & miss.

Back