• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oh yes, thats worrying!

Imagine the east stand trying to cope with that :)

Last edited:
Think some sort of singing section is vital in the new stadium, i honestly intend writing to RM on the matter (bit sad i know) but even if for example two thousand season tickets in that area that alone would ensure some sort of attmosphere

I think that more people should indeed write to the club and let them know their feelings about the allocation of a singing area in the new stadium if only to allow people to select a more lively area within the ground.

Leicester City are to trial a singing section at the Walkers Stadium for their home game against Coventry City. Whilst they won't go as far as publicly condoning persistent standing, they have requested that fans don't stand for the 'entire game' but will allow it to happen for 'a period of time' and have confirmed that stewarding will be relaxed.

A way forward and something for Southend United should consider as the club enters this very important stage in their fight against relegation, especially wth the game against Colchester United?

But it does raise the question: how come Leicester move towards promoting a better atmosphere at their ground whilst Southend United (or rather Geoffrey King) opt for 'outing' so-called offenders instead and virtually killing off any chance of a decent atmosphere at Roots Hall?

XS, when we went to the Walkers earlier in the season it was severely lacking in atmosphere brought on by lots of empty seats so they clearly have scope to identify an area but Roots Hall feels pretty packed most games,
so would be difficult without moving everyone around.

I think standing up is a return to the dark ages and not much help to my young son who would have to stand on his seat to see anything and the pensioners near could not stand for the duration of a game.

I certainly think that a singing section would be a great idea, cos lets face it some times at the beginning of games we are a bit quiet (nervousnous understandable), how great would it be for the players to hear us chanting from the off.

Maybe we could get something sorted with the club regarding the new stadium, I'd sign myself and my son up to that.

I think standing up is a return to the dark ages and not much help to my young son who would have to stand on his seat to see anything and the pensioners near could not stand for the duration of a game.

I agree - in some respect; a return to the old crumbling terraces IS a return to the dark ages but that's not what this is all about. This is about a CHOICE to sit or stand, whether it be in a seating section or in a specially-designed standing section (i.e 'Kombi'). I agree that a singing section (and associated standing, no matter what the authorities may consider) might not be much help to your son or pensioners but then you have a choice: don't sit in the singing section because you KNOW that there will be a likelihood of standing.

It's certainly feasible at Roots Hall: F Block (or whatever it's called now) is THE prime candidate for a singing section. If you want to sing then you'll know that this will be the place to go. If you don't want to sing (or have small kids) then you know to avoid that section. Or sit on the periphary.

It's also certainly feasible in the new stadium. The club (and indeed ALL clubs) should acknowledge that there is a sizeable number of fans who would like to stand when watching football. (It was estimated that over 15,000 people were standing at Old Trafford last Wednesday night). They're not hooligans. They're not criminals. They just want to stand and watch football, just like rugby fans, concert-goers, etc.

I agree - in some respect; a return to the old crumbling terraces IS a return to the dark ages but that's not what this is all about. This is about a CHOICE to sit or stand, whether it be in a seating section or in a specially-designed standing section (i.e 'Kombi'). I agree that a singing section (and associated standing, no matter what the authorities may consider) might not be much help to your son or pensioners but then you have a choice: don't sit in the singing section because you KNOW that there will be a likelihood of standing.

It's certainly feasible at Roots Hall: F Block (or whatever it's called now) is THE prime candidate for a singing section. If you want to sing then you'll know that this will be the place to go. If you don't want to sing (or have small kids) then you know to avoid that section. Or sit on the periphary.

It's also certainly feasible in the new stadium. The club (and indeed ALL clubs) should acknowledge that there is a sizeable number of fans who would like to stand when watching football. (It was estimated that over 15,000 people were standing at Old Trafford last Wednesday night). They're not hooligans. They're not criminals. They just want to stand and watch football, just like rugby fans, concert-goers, etc.

I take it you'll be voting for Cameron at the next election Xabia? As Cameron as indicated that he will bring back standing where possible.

I take it you'll be voting for Cameron at the next election Xabia? As Cameron as indicated that he will bring back standing where possible.

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately I haven't voted in a general election for some time - none of them have deserved it - and, seeing as I'm now in Spain for the forseeable future (incidentally where I can stand at football games all the time), I'm not likely to either. But this seems like a cynical vote-catching ploy by Cameron anyway.

i do hope with the new stadium coming that the hardcore supporters can seat together, as in south upper i sometimes get a bit bored of the half-hearted chants if any where i sit which is just off the centre of the stand. the mian lads dead middle sing all the time but no one else really

Good way of putting this across, I am sure the choice will come at the new stadium. I would sit in a singing area for sure but would prefer not to stand up. also, a decent view is first and foremost, so guess a singing area will not be in the best area. I often wonder which will be the most popular areas in the new stadium. I would like to see the stand opposite the main stand allocated for the more passionate fans,with your singing area at one end and me sittring in the middle where the atmosphere could spread.

I think that more people should indeed write to the club and let them know their feelings about the allocation of a singing area in the new stadium if only to allow people to select a more lively area within the ground.

I made the same point in the new stadium survey we had a while back. Now whether anyones takes any notice.....

I often wonder which will be the most popular areas in the new stadium. I would like to see the stand opposite the main stand allocated for the more passionate fans,with your singing area at one end and me sittring in the middle where the atmosphere could spread.

As an example, take Valencia C.F., just an hour down the road from me. In all four corners of the lower tier of the Mestalla are located what could be considered to be the 'singing sections'. The stadium is all-seater but that doesn't stop these corners filling rapidly with passionate and vocal fans of the Che, known as the "hinchas". As you can see in the picture below, stewards and security staff are there just in case but, on the whole, the area is self-policing and they generate an ENORMOUS amount of noise in support of their club. There are no attempts to make them sit down (notice that they are standing on their seats!) and no attempts to kill the atmosphere. I've been to watch Valencia a number of times and the atmosphere is electric. Similarly when I travelled down to Alicante to watch Second Division Hércules CF, they had a "singing section" in the corner from which came some terrific noise of support. I'd imagine from what I've read in here in Spain that most clubs have similar sections. Why it can't happen in England is anyone's guess ...

DSCN3053.jpg

DSCN3055.jpg

FSCN3045.jpg

Last edited:
** UPDATE **

Leicester City v Coventry City: quality atmosphere, the new singing section went superbly around 400 stood in that next to the away fans and the usual 400 stood in L1 and around 50 stood behind the goal. I'd say nearly 1000 Leicester standing and all of Coventry away support stood bar about the 1st 10 rows. A cracking day and atmosphere. The club said they wanted "some sitting to take place" ... but I dont think they give a flying feck to be honest. Our chief executive was walking around outside the ground and talking to fans outside the new "singing" area; we now have 2 sections either side of the away fans with 400+ in each standing.

But it does raise the question: how come Leicester move towards promoting a better atmosphere at their ground whilst Southend United (or rather Geoffrey King) opt for 'outing' so-called offenders instead and virtually killing off any chance of a decent atmosphere at Roots Hall?[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Spot on Mike and I hope Mr King reads this. As for the atmosphere when sitting compared to standing I'm amazed that people can't recognise the difference and have to assume they weren't North Bank regulars. There is absolutely no comparison between Roots Hall in '90, '91 and the current era in terms of atmosphere and I'm not wearing rose-tinted specs, it's just fact. I can remember days when you couldn't hear yourself think in there and the wall of noise was relentless. How many times in the past few seasons have we been able to say that? Or, to put it another way, how many different songs did we sing at home back then compared to the unimaginative bunch of Premiership copies that are sung now??

Back