• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

canada shrimper

Director
while doing housework this morning i found an old ska/reggae compilation cd.just wondered what everyones favourite ska/reggae tune is?
Tough decision for me with so many great tunes,but i gotta choose uptown top ranking and Barbados by typically tropical.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canada shrimper @ July 14 2004,15:39)]while doing housework this morning i found an old ska/reggae compilation cd.just wondered what everyones favourite ska/reggae tune is?
Tough decision for me with so many great tunes,but i gotta choose uptown top ranking and Barbados by typically tropical.
Liquidator by Harry J & the All Stars, Or 54 46 was my number by Toots & the Maytals.
I love the original late 60's early 70's Trojan reggae. Proper skinhead stuff.

Israellites Desmond Dekker....Young Gifted and Black Bob and Marcia...Double Barrel Dave and Ansil Collins music that lightens any day......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

either cisco's cover of "Unlimited" and "embarssement" by Madness.

About the best recent attempt at at ska vibe was baddest ruffest by junkyard dog. Quality tune & video.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ July 14 2004,15:51)]Israellites Desmond Dekker....
One of the coolest bass-lines ever, that has. Always makes me smile, that song.

Early stuff by The Police (particularly on the first two albums, Regatta de Blanc and Outlandos D'Amour) is actually Ska dressed up as punk. Some of it pretty poor Ska (e.g. Walking on the Moon - tell me that isn't a ska vibe), but some of it quite good - Bed's Too Big Without You, Roxanne.

Apart from that... I'm a bit young for ska.

Fave Reggae track? Easy Skankin' by Bob Marley & The Wailers.

cool.gif

I might be wrong, but isn't the new BBC radio station, 6, a ska station that only available on DAB and the web?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 14 2004,16:54)]Early stuff by The Police (particularly on the first two albums, Regatta de Blanc and Outlandos D'Amour) is actually Ska dressed up as punk.  Some of it pretty poor Ska (e.g. Walking on the Moon - tell me that isn't a ska vibe), but some of it quite good - Bed's Too Big Without You, Roxanne.
You really are stretching ska / reggae as a genre to include that load of old pish...!  
rock.gif

Although I do believe that the Police's early stuff was woefully labelled as white reggae  
ghostface.gif

I'm still hoping that sting one day walks into Mad Cyril's local, so he gets what's coming to him.  
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ July 14 2004,17:10)]I'm still hoping that sting one day walks into Mad Cyril's local, so he gets what's coming to him.  
wink.gif
If Mad Cyril's locals want to have a go at Sting, they'll have me to contend with first!

wow.gif

The subject of Sting is one on which Mad Cyril and I have agreed to disagree... So there!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ July 14 2004,16:37)]About the best recent attempt at at ska vibe was baddest ruffest by junkyard dog. Quality tune & video.  
smile.gif
The Clash did a rousing B-side version of Pressure Drop. Though not sure if that was originally on Trojan.

Modern Ska, Liked Rancids Timebomb from out with the wolves album, worth a download.

Nearly vomitted when I heard Boy George covered Everything I own.

ONly bought reggata de blanc from the police which was a fine album, oh and greatest hits. Not sure about the Sting argument, anyone who spends 7 hours indulging in tantric sex when he could (nay should) spend 5 minutes having a leg over and the rest watching football, down the pub and still have time for a curry has got to be suspect
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ July 14 2004,17:10)]I'm still hoping that sting one day walks into Mad Cyril's local, so he gets what's coming to him.  
wink.gif
He wouldn't be walking out again, that's for sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ July 15 2004,09:26)]
[b said:
wink.gif
He wouldn't be walking out again, that's for sure.
Nor would your locals, then... it'd be a proper Mexican stand-off...

ghostface.gif

Cue tumble weed rolling through the bar as the Tantric tosspot and MtS face down the hostile locals in The Slaughtered Lamb Inn (think American Werewolf in London)
ghostface.gif

Anything by the likes of Madness and The Clash of course... but I really like 'Mirror In the Bathroom' (Teardrop Explodes). What a great band name an' all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 18 2004,13:01)]Anything by the likes of Madness and The Clash of course... but I really like 'Mirror In the Bathroom' (Teardrop Explodes). What a great band name an' all.
Didnt the Beat sing Mirror in the Bathroom?
rock.gif

Though "Reward" by teardrop Explodes is a fantastic song...though not ska.....
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ July 18 2004,21:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 18 2004,13:01)]Anything by the likes of Madness and The Clash of course... but I really like 'Mirror In the Bathroom' (Teardrop Explodes). What a great band name an' all.
Didnt the Beat sing Mirror in the Bathroom?
rock.gif

Though "Reward" by teardrop Explodes is a fantastic song...though not ska.....
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
Sorry... you're right.

Age is taking its toll on my mind.

Back